Anyone tried making their own cooling brake duct system?

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
I don't really do any track time but I thought this might be a cheap easy mod I could do one lazy Sunday morning. I was considering a trip to Home Depot to pick up some vaccum cleaner accessories for the incoming air but I'm a bit stumped about the mounting location and rotor side.

Anyone have pics of a home job they'd like to share?
Thanks all,

Gerardo

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Check out Quantum Motorsports or Agent47... The kit you picked off Fleabay is a Ford Racing part for the GT500 Brembo setup, and won't work on the S197 GT brake package...

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
I've seen pics of a car where the guy just routed the hose close to the center of the rotor, zip tied to the tie rod. Claimed it worked well. There's also a guy on one of the SVT boards who's making very nice looking, tight fitting aluminum backing plates for $150, but I'm not sure if he's still got any or is still making them (I emailed him earlier today about it actually). Guy also suggests using RV sewer drain hose as an alternative to the $$$ high temp silicone racing stuff..if you don't track it, that should be just fine and a fraction of the cost.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
Here's the thread with pics of what I was talking about. They look like very nice pieces (pics are on pages 1 and 2). There are cheaper options but IMO these easily look like the best, most effective option. He also reports the cheap RV sewer hose holds up to heavy track use, so this is something you can put together for well under $200. I just got an email back from him saying he's got them ready to ship so I'm going to pick up a set..

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...9-front-brake-cooling-ducts-finally-done.html

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
!

Here's the thread with pics of what I was talking about. They look like very nice pieces (pics are on pages 1 and 2). There are cheaper options but IMO these easily look like the best, most effective option. He also reports the cheap RV sewer hose holds up to heavy track use, so this is something you can put together for well under $200. I just got an email back from him saying he's got them ready to ship so I'm going to pick up a set..

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...9-front-brake-cooling-ducts-finally-done.html

I had a problem spending the money for the agent 47 ones but not these. They are bad ass! Seems like the customer is really getting alot for the $$$, with shipping, no less! Can you send me his email address? I'm not a member of that site and it looks like you have to build PMing privledges.
Thanks,

Gerardo

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
I had a problem spending the money for the agent 47 ones but not these. They are bad ass! Seems like the customer is really getting alot for the $$$, with shipping, no less! Can you send me his email address? I'm not a member of that site and it looks like you have to build PMing privledges.
Thanks,

Gerardo

It's buried in the thread somewhere but his name's Bruce...email is ( bruce1995bmc at yahoo dot com ).

Reaction score
I like how bruce's design still retains the function of a splash shield. But, look at the difference between the two as far as where the outlet to the brake rotor is located. I've wondered which one is optimal when I installed my quantum kit.

Quantum has the air shooting directly into the center/abs sensor ring area. (has no splash/dust shield function at all )
*Track kit pictured - my setup
316p0ds.jpg

New "race" kit does, but check out the outlet. Just like Bruce's
05mustangrace1.jpg

Here's Bruces..
2ecq5nk.jpg

whut's the dillio? I thought maybe shooting air at the center of the rotor cooled it more uniformly, but now quantum has a "race" kit that is the opposite design.

Those of you looking to cheap out on hoses, be careful. Mine are rated to extremely high temps and are already in need of replacement after a year of tracking.

Last edited:

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
My understanding with the ducting is that the goal is to get the air into the center of the backside of the rotor, so that it can exhaust out through the network of vanes. Splash shields are a liability in my book, as they will at a minimum act as passive heat sinks, and re-radiate the heat back into the rotor. NO scientific proof, just my gut feeling. I also have the original Quantum track setup, but it looks like the "race" setup is better optimized for a straight shot into the rotor, in terms of incoming angle. I have no idea if it will be more effective or not. My thermal management scheme seems to be working okay for now, but if I have issues, that's probably the first thing I'll try.

Brian W.

forum member
Reaction score
i made some for my porsche that are much like the one posted above. The oem shields behind the rotor are steal so i just holesawed them and tack welded in a pc. of 3" steel pipe. then ran the hoses up to the front bumper.

Just be careful with tight turns as you'll smash up your hoses pretty easily.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back