are '12 and '13 suspensions the same? mine don't seem to be...

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
Yes jack ass it means the stiffness of the springs, by itself, will not control ride height. No where in that sentence did I say that the spring length remained the same you inferred it. Amateur.

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
Yes jack ass it means the stiffness of the springs, by itself, will not control ride height. No where in that sentence did I say that the spring length remained the same you inferred it. Amateur.

Lol, on a scale of 1 to 10 how mad are you?

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
And for the record a stiffer spring of the same lenght will change the ride height
Just as a longer spring of the same spring rate will also change ride height

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
And for the record a stiffer spring of the same lenght will change the ride height

NO SHIT!!! lol

I just hate dealing with stupid people. I'm not mad really I just use flowery language a lot. I mean no offense. :beer:

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score

NO SHIT!!! lol

I just hate dealing with stupid people. I'm not mad really I just use flowery language a lot. I mean no offense. :beer:

I'm confused.. at first your saying spring rate dosent affect ride height, then your agreeing it does.. Which one is it?

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
I'm confused.. at first your saying spring rate dosent affect ride height, then your agreeing it does.. Which one is it?

I'm glad someone can confirm that i'm not crazy lol

trakhoar

forum member
Reaction score
I'm glad someone can confirm that i'm not crazy lol
confirmed.

Dude is trying to talk his way out of a hole

Assuming two springs are equal in length, if one is stiffer, it will compress less resulting in taller ride height. In this case, spring stiffness alone will dictate ride height (or "delegate" it, whatever that means). But without removing the springs and putting them side by side, who knows. I say order 2 sets of lowering springs since both cars are 4x4s.

My 2012 with the steeda ultra-lites still rides very high in the rear as well, perhaps the isolators are taller/thicker or something. It seems higher than some of the other pictures ive seen of other cars with the same springs

Last edited:

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
Stiffness by itself doesn't control the ride height. You have to Also look at the spring length. Jesus Christ I wrote out the fucking formula and I'm a mechanical engineer I think I have a pretty good understanding of springs and how they work.

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, if the springs are equal length they will be the same.

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
Stiffness by itself doesn't control the ride height. You have to Also look at the spring length. Jesus Christ I wrote out the fucking formula and I'm a mechanical engineer I think I have a pretty good understanding of springs and how they work.
welp. found the problem. this is why he doesn't understand simple things

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score

Well ive put different springs on the fox that were the same length but different rates and they changed the ride height, so.. I bought magic springs?!?! :idea: I probably could sell them for alot of money on evilbay then correct?!?!

P.S. Your not the only one with an engineering degree on this board..

trakhoar

forum member
Reaction score
:clap:

Guess what, I'm a mechanical engineer too and can tell you are the type of engineer who tries to make simple things sound much more complex than they really are. :roflmao:

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
FWIW, the 4 digit spring codes are for each spring. So FFDD, is FF for left and right front, and DD for left and right rear. The two codes listed tell us that the fronts are the same for both cars. But the rears are different for the other car. Was the ride height measured at the front or rear (I didn't notice)? The rear ride height will likely be a little different because of the different spring rate (see argument above).

I just looked up all the suspension parts from '12 and '13, and they really are the same. There are a lot of options for shocks and struts, but there are no new part numbers for '13. They're all '11 and '12 part numbers. The only variable here that is different is the rear spring code, and since we all know springs can and do have an effect on ride height, it's only logical to say the height difference is caused by the different springs between the two.

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
I wanna know where throughout this thread I said that the springs in comparison were the same length? I didn't.

What I was saying was that you can't just look at the different spring rates between the two springs to have the same ride height. And most lowering springs have stiffer spring rates but are shorter. The spring rate is greater and the ride height is lower because the spring is a shorter spring. The spring rate, however, does also play into that lowered ride height. A shortened spring with the softer stiffness will sit lower than a spring of same length with a stiffer K value.

And I love how you guys try to tell me what kind of mechanical engineer I am over complicating things. I guess I must have some stalkers or something.

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
I wanna know where throughout this thread I said that the springs in comparison were the same length? I didn't.

When you said "stiffness alone WILL NOT delegate ride height"

Idk why this is so hard for you to understand

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
Stiffness alone doesn't delegate the ride height. You have to take into account the length of the spring AS WELL AS the stiffness. How do you not get that?

Are you brain dead or just being a pain in the ass?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
But if two springs are the exact same length, and one is half the rate of the other, the ride height will be significantly different, on the same car. And in theory, you could have two springs, both different lengths, and different rates, and still have the same ride height (softer longer spring vs. stiffer shorter spring).

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
But if two springs are the exact same length, and one is half the rate of the other, the ride height will be significantly different, on the same car. And in theory, you could have two springs, both different lengths, and different rates, and still have the same ride height (softer longer spring vs. stiffer shorter spring).

Yes, two springs of same length and spring rates being different will create different ride heights. Theoretically the ride height should be half as much. And yes to the long soft spring can have same height as stiff short spring.

One thing I have never understood is people buying a shock and spring and not knowing the spring rates or the damping rate (non-adjustable) because when you do this you have no idea what your harmonics are going to be like. You can set yourself up for an underdamped or overdamped system and that will feel like utter shit going down the road.

During the Wounded Warrior Dragon run I ran into a guy on KW coilovers, I have D2s, and he was asking about my coilovers. I was just a tad lower than he was but he was telling me how his car rode like shit. I asked him if it bounced along a lot and he confirmed that it did but he had his dampers set all the way soft. What he didn't realize is that when he did that he created an underdamped system. The damper didn't have enough damping force to stabilize the system so he would continue to bounce along in some situations going down the road. I experienced the same phenomena until I adjusted my dampers to almost full stiff. My car doesn't ride super stiff, it actually rides really well. I need to click the rears one more click stiff. They're getting some residual harmonics after a large bump.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back