Auto Headlights

bumblebee06

Speed Demon
Reaction score
I was looking into making my headlights come on when i un-lock the car and was curious if maybe i could wire them up to the dome lights since they do come on when unlocked. Has anyone ever done this or seen it? But if i do that will the dome lights come on when i turn the head lights on? Should i put a switch in to bypass this? Is there any other way to hook these up with out buying the module from ford?

sid

forum member
Reaction score
Mine do this on my '07 gt/cs. I think there is a way to turn this feature on/off. Did you look in the owers manual?

bumblebee06

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Mine do this on my '07 gt/cs. I think there is a way to turn this feature on/off. Did you look in the owers manual?

They only did that in 07-09. Not 05 or 06. The module is not in my car.

isn't it a switch in the dial thing for the dash brightness

Thats for the interior lights, Im trying to get the Headlights to come on when i unlock the car.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
They only did that in 07-09. Not 05 or 06. The module is not in my car.

Thats for the interior lights, Im trying to get the Headlights to come on when i unlock the car.

on my tbird the dashlights also controlled the auto turn on for the headlights..... not sure if they did the same thing in the s197 never tried it in all honesty

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to turn this feature off with the lights coming on when unlocking the car? People seem to look when I unlock the car, unwanted attention.

QWKSNKE

forum member
Reaction score
Did Ford change up what lights come on when using remote based off the year? On my 08 my fogs come on for unlock but on a friends 09, the head lights come on

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Dude, you try wiring those headlights into your dome light and the least you will do is blow the fuse every time you try it.

Look into what an after-market alarm kit has in it. Almost all of them will wire up the headlights to come on when you unlock/lock the car.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Did Ford change up what lights come on when using remote based off the year? On my 08 my fogs come on for unlock but on a friends 09, the head lights come on
Only my foglights come on when I unlock my car as well it's an 08.
I'd rather have just the fogs than the headlights come on now that I think about it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I'm betting that you have the OE HIDs and he doesn't.

I turned that feature off about a week after I got the car. I'd rather not advertise the fact that my car had just been unlocked or that I was in the vicinity and headed that way. I'm glad that the interior lights aren't any brighter than they are.

I can't think of a single good reason why you'd want either the headlights or the foglights coming on like that.

Norm

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Page 79 of the owner manual states...

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dddddd; COLOR: #dddddd" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Perimeter lighting feature (if equipped)

The perimeter lighting feature illuminates the exterior of the vehicle in
order to provide better visibility to the user while he or she approaches
and enters the vehicle.

The perimeter lighting feature activates the head lamps, park lamps and
side marker lamps when:
• the user activates an unlock feature, using either the remote keyless
transmitter or the keypad, or
• when the vehicle is unlocked using the driver’s door key lock cylinder.
The perimeter lighting feature will turn off if:
• the vehicle is locked using the remote entry transmitter, or
• the ignition is turned to the 3 (ON) position, or
• after 25 seconds of illumination.

Enabling/disabling the perimeter lighting feature

Your vehicle comes with the perimeter lighting feature enabled. You may
enable/disable this feature by having your vehicle serviced by your
authorized dealer.

You may also perform the following power door lock sequence to
enable/disable the perimeter lamps feature. All vehicle doors must be
closed before beginning the procedure. You must complete Steps 1–3
within 30 seconds, or the procedure will have to be repeated.

1. Turn the ignition to the 3 (ON) position, then press the unlock control
three times.
2. Turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF) position, then press the unlock control
three times.
3. Turn the ignition to the 3 (ON) position; the horn will chirp to
indicate the driver configuration mode has been activated.

Activating or deactivating the perimeter lighting once in program mode is
accomplished by:

• pressing the trim panel power door unlock control twice within
five seconds.

At this point, perimeter lighting will be activated if it was previously
deactivated, and deactivated if it was previously activated. Confirmation
of perimeter lighting being activated is provided by a short horn chirp
followed by a long horn sound; Confirmation of perimeter lighting being
deactivated is provided by a short horn chirp only.
Exiting the program mode is accomplished by turning the ignition to any
position other than the 3 (ON) position, or two minutes elapsing since
the program mode was entered.

Norm I think a good reason for it is to find my car at night lol (without sounding the horn)

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Norm I think a good reason for it is to find my car at night lol (without sounding the horn)
I have been driving for 47+ years and have never had any difficulty finding my car in the dark. Almost every time, they're right where I left them (the times they weren't were the times my son had something to do with it :spank2: ).

I suppose it's a sign of the times that self-reliance is regarded as being an "unnecessary" personality trait, given that sooner or later somebody will design a gimmick or an app for most anything.:angry1:

Norm

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Well I always drink first THEN drive, safety you know? so sometimes I need help finding the car. :roflmao:

I'm just kidding I would never do that.

I don't see a problem with taking advantage of every technology available though.
Glad I'm not amish.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with taking advantage of every technology available though.
I guess that's where we differ philsophically.

I'm fine with using technolgy to deal with the things I couldn't possibly keep up with that are absolutely necessary, meaning fuel and spark control for the engine. Period.

As an afterthought, marginally ABS, though I'm going to make it clear that this one is only by virtue of the its ability to help avoid you getting flatspotted tires.

Everything else seems to be technologies developed in response to questions I wouldn't even be asking in the first place or created to do things I'd actively prefer to deal with "all by myself". The word 'technology' itself is beginning to acquire a slightly negative connotation. Not as bad as the knee-jerk association that Maynard G. Krebs had with the word "work" yet, but headed in that direction :soapbox:

[/hijack]

Norm
curmudgeon, luddite, whatever . . .

Last edited:

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Norm, I agree with you to a certain point. I'm probably not as extreme as you in those beliefs, but I do share the philosophy. I find that I stay up with technology more to ensure I'm not taken advantage of rather than the potential ease of life it could grant me.

Perfect example of why I feel this way. In Iraq, all of my crew chiefs depended on their individual, issued with the aircraft, laptop logbooks to complete forms and records and to even access the periodic maintenance books. Well, low and behold, on a move one time, an ambush meant that my truck had more holes in it than swiss cheese. All the laptop logbooks were destroyed and the only remaining books were those in the aircraft, the paper logbooks. The crew chiefs knew how to fill out flight information, but were rusty as hell on the paper method as a whole. It took a lot of educating to get those guys capable of doing daily duties on paperwork. Had I of had the previous platoon sargent there, I swear I would have choked him for not teaching those guys everything he should have.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back