Auto Shifting w/tci Shifter Creating To Much Heat?

maverick46

Reaction score
I was using my tci shifter yesterday and when doing so, the motor got super hot! I felt the heat in the cabin by my feet and started to smell antifreeze - then the overheat light came on and steam out the hood. I pull over to cool and then continued to just leave it in drive the rest of the way home. it was fine after that, all conditions normal.

What gives? any ideas? anyone have similar problems? What could be the reason for this? Can i not shift the gears on my own?

I noticed the antifreeze is a little low.

Also for additional info, i have stock auto trans with 3200 stall p.i converter. and this is the first time its happened.

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is this the first time you used the new shifter? The only thing I can think of is that shifter is not aligned correctly causing the trans to over heat. That would not have a direct effect on the engine since the trans cooler is separate.

maverick46

Reaction score
I've had it and used it for over a year now. I don't use it all the time. I've even autocrossed using it and keeping it in 2nd gear for the whole course with no issues.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I'm pretty confident that the TCI shifter didn't have anything to do with your car overheating. You could have many of any other things going on though. I would check the water pump and thermostat first.

maverick46

Reaction score
Is this the first time you used the new shifter? The only thing I can think of is that shifter is not aligned correctly causing the trans to over heat. That would not have a direct effect on the engine since the trans cooler is separate.

one of my buddies asked if i had o/d off and to never have o/d on unless crusing since im supgercharged. I wonder if that had something to do with it! I normally keep o/d off but that day i was doing a little highway and city stop and go driving and kept the o/d on while using the ratchet shifter. I usually hit o/d off as soon as i get in the car.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
one of my buddies asked if i had o/d off and to never have o/d on unless crusing since im supgercharged. I wonder if that had something to do with it! I normally keep o/d off but that day i was doing a little highway and city stop and go driving and kept the o/d on while using the ratchet shifter. I usually hit o/d off as soon as i get in the car.
Never boost in O/D . There is a lot of load on the motor in O/D. You could blow it with very little boost.

whyask

forum member
Reaction score
Never boost in O/D . There is a lot of load on the motor in O/D. You could blow it with very little boost.

im always in O/D - i was under the impression never to run a boosted setup with it off - WHOOPS !!!!

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score

im always in O/D - i was under the impression never to run a boosted setup with it off - WHOOPS !!!!

What i think he means is don't boost into/through 5th gear when racing... I think it is fine to leave O/D on and leaving it in Drive and boosting through the gears.. Unless i misunderstood everything in the past i have read.

on3uluz

Reaction score
I have a tci ratchet shifter and its never put in drive. I always click the gears up my self .my bad habit is actually is clicking the gears downmy self. did u know if u actually blip the throttle u can rev match on down shifts..... any way iv never had a over heating problem

maverick46

Reaction score
Maybe when shifting the gears on my own i tend to leave it in 2nd or 3rd longer with the rpms higher than they should be causing the engine to over heat???

I dont hit the limiter though but in this nyc traffic i can keep it in 2nd or 3rd and cruise in that gear and thats what seemed to get her blood boiling

Last edited:

maverick46

Reaction score
update;

I just called my shop cause i have to get an exhaust leak fixed tomorrow and they said thats probably it. I might have blown an exhaust head gasket

on3uluz

Reaction score
I have 4.10 s around 30 35 I stay in 3rd. And there is no half way point for me. when I run through gears I shift at 6750 rpm let's say 6800. and It runs like a champ. its my daily driver there isn't a day someone ends up racing me

maverick46

Reaction score
update - I also had my ac on - they said its a nono to have my ac on while driving hard and thats what i was doing at the time of overheat -

and the exhaust gasket leak was fixed.

now i just need a new procharger pully belt...she's way to noisy ....its always something.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back