Autocross Setup Suggestions?

vernogt

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I have been on the forum for a while and enjoy reading everyone's build posts and now its time for mine. I am a newbie to the autox world, so I am looking for some guidance.

Since I have a little extra cash, I figured its time to do some upgrades to my 2006 GT. The car has been mine since new and currently has longtube headers, off-road mid pipe, steeda motion control deletes, JLT CAI, Magnaflow mufflers, and Comp mutha thumpr cams.

At first I was into drag racing and had fun, but once I found autox, I couldn't go back.

Suspension wise, the car is stock. I do however have upgraded SS brake lines and Hawk HPS pads that I have used for past Autox with good results.

Now my goals are to keep it a weekend warrior as the car likely will see limited street time. I am on a budget so a full on coil over set is not in the cards.

Here are my planned items:
-Koni Adjustables
-H&R Race Springs (linear)
-Whiteline F&R sway bars
-MM Camber Plates
-Steeda Adjustable Panhard Bar (had for years in box)
-Steeda LCA (also had for years)
- LCA relocation brackets

I am looking for suggestions in regards to the parts I plan on adding, so any are welcomed.

Thanks!

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
The list looks good. I'm personally not a koni fan. But plenty of people run them. I'd suggest adding parts in stages so you can learn and understand how each makes the car react. You'll probably want a better set of tires eventually and there's plenty of options there too. Most importantly get seat time. Enter as often as you can.

Last edited:

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
By the time you add up shocks, springs, and camber plates you are inching closer to Ground Control coilover money, which includes all three and seems to be a very highly rated setup.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
By the time you add up shocks, springs, and camber plates you are inching closer to Ground Control coilover money, which includes all three and seems to be a very highly rated setup.

I would agree with this. The GC Coilover kit is $1650shipped (last I checked anyway :dunce:) and is a great value for the money. It wont be the best coilover in the world but it is far from the worst. I've had good luck with mine and GC has been very responsive when I called and had questions. Good camber plates, good springs and good dampers at a reasonable price. With sane spring rates it'll ride pretty nice too. I didn't think 440/200 was a bad riding car with them.

claudermilk

Reaction score
It's also getting close to the time for the annual Koni sale. That drops the price a bit. I think I was about $1400 for Koni Sports, Steeda Sport springs, Vorshlag CC plat, and a used Steeda adj. panhard. Though had I know the GC coilovers were decent, I might have gone that way.

The first thing is to work on the driver mod. After that, assuming the current suspension isn't worn, tires would be #1. Other than that, I agree with white: seat time, seat time, seat time, and then start doing the suspension mods a piece at a time so you can see what the difference is for each part.

None of the engine mods are really helping you at this point--the cars make more power than you can use stock for an autocross.

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
I would agree with this. The GC Coilover kit is $1650shipped (last I checked anyway :dunce:) and is a great value for the money. It wont be the best coilover in the world but it is far from the worst. I've had good luck with mine and GC has been very responsive when I called and had questions. Good camber plates, good springs and good dampers at a reasonable price. With sane spring rates it'll ride pretty nice too. I didn't think 440/200 was a bad riding car with them.

$1504 at Hypermotive using code hyperfan6off

They also have the ST XTA for about 1343, which now include camber plates.

vernogt

Reaction score
I really appreciate all the input. I will be seriously looking into the Ground Conrtol kit since it seems to (barely) fit my budget.

Now for tires, I should be getting a set of GT500 rims from a friend that will be trading his car in for a new F-150 so I plan on getting tires soon.

I was thinking of the new Dunlop Direzza II Star Specs in a 275/35/18 size all around.

Anyone have any experience with these or the past versions?

Last edited:

BlackMustang690

BlackMustang690
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the input. I will be seriously looking into the Ground Conrtol kit since it seems to (barely) fit my budget.

Now for tires, I should be getting a set of GT500 rims from a friend that will be trading his car in for a new F-150 so I plan on getting tires soon.

I was thinking of the new Dunlop Direzza II Star Specs in a 275/35/18 size all around.

I know when i did the LCA it made a huge difference to the backend. I ran circuit track at TSW and the car handled really well. As far as tires i ran NTO5 and they were good. Are you planning on doing any Brake upgrades?

Last edited:

claudermilk

Reaction score
Those show as 25.6" OD on Tire Rack. Taking a quick look, it appears your OEM OD is like mine at 27.2", so those are kind of short. That's part of why I dropped these from my shopping list & went with the RE-11As (275/40-18). That said, the Star Specs are supposed to be really good.

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score

If you are really on a budget, get the Goodyear F1 Supercars in 285/40/18. They are currently $560 shipped for FOUR. 220 treadwear, not going to win you any trophies compared with the newer stuff from BFG/Hankook/Dunlop, but I use them and they work great for autocross.

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I have been on the forum for a while and enjoy reading everyone's build posts and now its time for mine. I am a newbie to the autox world, so I am looking for some guidance.

Since I have a little extra cash, I figured its time to do some upgrades to my 2006 GT. The car has been mine since new and currently has longtube headers, off-road mid pipe, steeda motion control deletes, JLT CAI, Magnaflow mufflers, and Comp mutha thumpr cams.

At first I was into drag racing and had fun, but once I found autox, I couldn't go back.

Suspension wise, the car is stock. I do however have upgraded SS brake lines and Hawk HPS pads that I have used for past Autox with good results.

Now my goals are to keep it a weekend warrior as the car likely will see limited street time. I am on a budget so a full on coil over set is not in the cards.

Here are my planned items:
-Koni Adjustables
-H&R Race Springs (linear)
-Whiteline F&R sway bars
-MM Camber Plates
-Steeda Adjustable Panhard Bar (had for years in box)
-Steeda LCA (also had for years)
- LCA relocation brackets

I am looking for suggestions in regards to the parts I plan on adding, so any are welcomed.

Thanks!

Just a thought, I am using Ground Control's coilover conversion on OTS Koni yellows with custom spring rates. With Maximum plates I am into it for less than their coilovers, and they don't have Ground Control's different valving. Plenty of bump travel at my current just under 1" lowering.

vernogt

Reaction score
I know when i did the LCA it made a huge difference to the backend. I ran circuit track at TSW and the car handled really well. As far as tires i ran NTO5 and they were good. Are you planning on doing any Brake upgrades?

I have SS lines along with upgraded EBC rotors and Hawk HPS pads for the track. Since I plan on getting the GT500 rims (free) I am hopping to get some used Brembo calipers and getting upgraded pads and rotors.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
If you are really on a budget, get the Goodyear F1 Supercars in 285/40/18. They are currently $560 shipped for FOUR. 220 treadwear, not going to win you any trophies compared with the newer stuff from BFG/Hankook/Dunlop, but I use them and they work great for autocross.

+1

Ran 255/45 and 285/40 with BMR UCA/LCA. Could not BELIEVE how much more planted the car was and how the rear end really tightened up. Even in the rain. :omfg:

vernogt

Reaction score
+1

Ran 255/45 and 285/40 with BMR UCA/LCA. Could not BELIEVE how much more planted the car was and how the rear end really tightened up. Even in the rain. :omfg:
I am going to have to look into those. Are they the ones that came on the GT500 stock? Sounds like a good price.

El_Tortuga

forum member
Reaction score

Loving the Dunlops. Better than last year's Rivals in the same size.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
I am amused by the Koni hate, you've been tainted by marketing. Facts are that Koni's are on, and win more than anything else. I have a few championships, in fact like 15 or something like that, and all by two were on Koni's. And yes, I carry other shocks, and I've used other shocks.

I have MCS, which for my money have turned out to be the best of the high end shocks I've dealt with other than Ohlins. I've used and setup cars that have won championships on KW's. Fastest ESP car that wasn't AWD @ nationals last year, was on KW's... and not even ClubSports.

Anyway, back to the OP's list. Koni's and H&R race springs work really well, but they do ride very hard on the street (the springs). We have some ways to help that playing with the rear.

Whiteline bars, I'd recommend against those. And before we go down this road... I do carry whiteline so I'm telling you that to play a game. Simply they are heavy, and the rear is too stiff, and the rear setup keeps you from running other things in the rear like different types of Watts links than their own. And a Watts link is HUGE in making these cars fast. I really see little reason to go to a smaller front, but solid (heavier) bar. And then reinvent the wheel on the rear bar just to be different. AND the rear bar is all now additional unsprung weight as it's moved from hanging of the body to hanging off the axle.

The rest is fine and now legal in ESP. But if your arms are poly/poly that induces some bind and roll stiffness increase which makes that mongo rear bar you are thinking of more the wrong thing to do.

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
I am amused by the Koni hate, you've been tainted by marketing. Facts are that Koni's are on, and win more than anything else. I have a few championships, in fact like 15 or something like that, and all by two were on Koni's. And yes, I carry other shocks, and I've used other shocks.

I have MCS, which for my money have turned out to be the best of the high end shocks I've dealt with other than Ohlins. I've used and setup cars that have won championships on KW's. Fastest ESP car that wasn't AWD @ nationals last year, was on KW's... and not even ClubSports.

Anyway, back to the OP's list. Koni's and H&R race springs work really well, but they do ride very hard on the street (the springs). We have some ways to help that playing with the rear.

Whiteline bars, I'd recommend against those. And before we go down this road... I do carry whiteline so I'm telling you that to play a game. Simply they are heavy, and the rear is too stiff, and the rear setup keeps you from running other things in the rear like different types of Watts links than their own. And a Watts link is HUGE in making these cars fast. I really see little reason to go to a smaller front, but solid (heavier) bar. And then reinvent the wheel on the rear bar just to be different. AND the rear bar is all now additional unsprung weight as it's moved from hanging of the body to hanging off the axle.

The rest is fine and now legal in ESP. But if your arms are poly/poly that induces some bind and roll stiffness increase which makes that mongo rear bar you are thinking of more the wrong thing to do.

I've been tainted by failed parts. Maybe my luck is just shitty? Whatever the case may be I'm happier with my bilsteins than I ever was with my two sets of Koni yellows. Keep in mind this is purely MY opinion from 3,000 daily driving miles and 1 autocross event. If I were to do it again I wouldn't buy ots koni yellows. I'd go straight for the ground control kit IF I were interested in giving them another try. The GC stuff seems to be complained about less.

Last edited:

nelsonbullitt

forum member
Reaction score
I've had both the Koni adjustables and the Tokico adjustables. In my opinion there is no comparison. The Tokicos are much more refined on both dampening and rebound.
Ford Racing formed a business relationship with Tokico and now you need to get them from Ford racing which refined them a bit more.
Here:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-shockstrut-0510gt.html
You will notice that they also say Tokico on them as well.
I have no bias as to any company unless their product is superior. I believe the Koni yellows to be an inferior, coarse product. If you like very firm suspension all the time with lesser refinement get the Konis. If you want to go from a very soft controlled ride to a controlled tightened ride get the Tokicos.
If you drag race you will also have trouble with the Konis as they will not allow you a soft enough setting to squat your car.
I had the yellows on for 4 weeks after I bought the 2011 and immediately sold them on EBAY and replaced them with the Tokicos which I had on my 2009 Bullitt.
Just trying to save you from the mistake I made.

nelsonbullitt

forum member
Reaction score
Oh, also, Vernogt, have you looked into a watts link?

You might ask Sam Strano about these. I think he carries both the Fays2 and Whiteline.

I am ready to pull the trigger on the Fays2, I think!

Modding is what makes these s197s so much fun.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back