Autocrossers! What are your off season upgrade plans?

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the Koni's with mild springs. Over 2 years and nearly 40 events here for my daily / autocross / track car. Bang for the buck is definitely there.

Do you plan on running more scca events next year?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Would be great to have the cam crowd in Dallas at SCCA events!

El_Tortuga

forum member
Reaction score
Do you plan on running more scca events next year?

I'm thinking less autocross and more track. Ideally 6-8 autocross (STP?) and 12-14 days on track. To that end, I'm probably going to put another set of star specs for next year. Re-71s would be quite a bit quicker but would likely put me into 2 sets of tires per year. When a set of tires is the same money that could be spent on 4-6 days on track, I'm going to invest in me. I could also be a lot quicker with a set of 18x11s and 315 rival S, but I'd rather put that money in driver mods. Now when the kids get out of college, I should have a better tire budget but that is a few years away.

I've been a regular for ER events for the past 2 years. Can't beat their yearly deal ($270 for 10 events) which netted me about 95 runs. Might have to mix it up next year depending on schedules and venues. I've had good experiences with everybody I've run autocross with (ER, SCCA, NTAX, BMW)

CAMC could get wild if you have a baller budget. E.g. slap a supercharger on sockwell's car and drop some car weight. He and it are already damn quick.

El_Tortuga

forum member
Reaction score
I'm thinking less autocross and more track. Ideally 6-8 autocross (STP?) and 12-14 days on track. To that end, I'm probably going to put another set of star specs for next year. Re-71s would be quite a bit quicker but would likely put me into 2 sets of tires per year. When a set of tires is the same money that could be spent on 4-6 days on track, I'm going to invest in me. I could also be a lot quicker with a set of 18x11s and 315 rival S, but I'd rather put that money in driver mods. Now when the kids get out of college, I should have a better tire budget but that is a few years away.

I've been a regular for ER events for the past 2 years. Can't beat their yearly deal ($270 for 10 events) which netted me about 95 runs. Might have to mix it up next year depending on schedules and venues. I've had good experiences with everybody I've run autocross with (ER, SCCA, NTAX, BMW)

CAMC could get wild if you have a baller budget. E.g. slap a supercharger on sockwell's car and drop some car weight. He and it are already damn quick.

Yeah, like I was saying, I'm going to buy Jon's (IamLegend) 18x11 315 RivalS setup. :jester:

What can I say? I couldn't help myself when opportunity knocked. I now need to sell my 18x10 D-Forces setup to help offset the cash outlay.

I still hope to be more trackish next year, but I should be a lot more competitive in STP with the steamroller rubber. 315s for stick axle cars vs 285 IRS looks like a good chance for widespread parity. PAX looks more reasonable now @ .837 too. Time will tell.

I will install the GT500 brakes that I bought earlier this fall, but that is actually a slight autocross downgrade with the extra mass. Hoping to buy me a little extra braking on track.

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Sweeeet.

Love that setup. Will see how it does in CAMS too

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Driven with the CobraJet intake yet? Wondering how the street manners are in the low-mid rpm range with the long runners. Have any before/after dyno runs for torque and hp band comparisons?

Just put the car on the dyno yesterday. Pump E85, tested at 83%, switched it over day before dyno so the mix was a bit low, after looking at logs Shaun said the ethanol content was a little low, but he didn't think it affected numbers much. Ran car hot all three pulls within 5 mins, difference in numbers between the three could be considered noise, within 1hp/1tq. Shocked to see the kind of low end torque the car makes. Was making 350 at 2500. Definitely a slight loss in low end torque compared to the stock manifold/airbox combo, but this setup makes usable power from 3500-8000. This is an AED tune with only one datalog sent in for the CJ setup. Drivability is excellent, only thing I miss over the stock setup is the throttle can't be made as progressive so it is much touchier than it was with the previous setup, although I am sure we will work that out. Will likely have an extended dyno session to find a bit more power in the combo, and I will likely have the manifold ported.

Last edited:

5.M0NSTER

Reaction score
I finally acquired some of my suspension mods. Steeda sport springs, PH bar, and HD Upper strut mounts. I still need to get shocks/struts, but I'm thinking the negative camber will do a lot for mid-corner performance. Right now I'm leaning towards -2 deg of camber. I can go max -2.5 with the HD strut mounts from Steeda.

Where do you set your camber to? What's the limit to avoid getting your street tires chewed up on the inside?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Set your camber to max. Just put it back for street use.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Where do you set your camber to? What's the limit to avoid getting your street tires chewed up on the inside?
Any "limit" depends in part on how hard you generally take corners when you AREN'T autocrossing or doing HPDE's. At most any even halfways sane camber setting, bad toe is still going to be more to blame for inside shoulder wear.

Set your toe at your street camber setting and let it "float" when you run your camber in to your competition setting (it will tend to move in the "out" direction, which is a good thing for turn-in response).

Norm

Last edited:

C7 B8

Reaction score
Upgrading my track-prepped s197 with a '16 GT350 TP :)

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score

Don't happen to have a baseline stock motor pull on that same dyno in similar atmospheric conditions do you?

That is a broad torque and hp curve. I'm surprised to not see a dip or bottom end of the curve loss of torque with that tunnel ram manifold.

Nice fat usable power from ~4250 to ~6500 with a thousand+ rpm of 450hp.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Just put the car on the dyno yesterday. Pump E85, tested at 83%, switched it over day before dyno so the mix was a bit low, after looking at logs Shaun said the ethanol content was a little low, but he didn't think it affected numbers much. Ran car hot all three pulls within 5 mins, difference in numbers between the three could be considered noise, within 1hp/1tq. Shocked to see the kind of low end torque the car makes. Was making 350 at 2500. Definitely a slight loss in low end torque compared to the stock manifold/airbox combo, but this setup makes usable power from 3500-8000. This is an AED tune with only one datalog sent in for the CJ setup. Drivability is excellent, only thing I miss over the stock setup is the throttle can't be made as progressive so it is much touchier than it was with the previous setup, although I am sure we will work that out. Will likely have an extended dyno session to find a bit more power in the combo, and I will likely have the manifold ported.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k640/Hillclimb95/DF6F8165-C46D-46CA-8EC1-6632647A2C1E_zpsrt2fy77c.jpg[/IG][/URL][/quote]

Good lord.

kona302

forum member
Reaction score
Torsen, Spherical bearing in the pumpkin, SS brake lines, Coilovers, race seat and bracket.

Throw in a extreme detail somewhere in there.

Looking at having fun in STP

and maybe buy some tires, but I have this hunch BFG will come out with something faster. just a little thought in my head since Bridgestone will not reinvest into the tyre game and Michelin can throw away money in BFG development. But we will see said the wise man.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Torsen, Spherical bearing in the pumpkin, SS brake lines, Coilovers, race seat and bracket.

Throw in a extreme detail somewhere in there.

Looking at having fun in STP

and maybe buy some tires, but I have this hunch BFG will come out with something faster. just a little thought in my head since Bridgestone will not reinvest into the tyre game and Michelin can throw away money in BFG development. But we will see said the wise man.

Spherical bearing in the diff is a no-no in STP, fyi.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back