Autocrossers! What are your off season upgrade plans?

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Getting ready to throw down some $$$ for winter upgrades:

MCS TT2 Coil-Overs w/Vorshlag Bits
Front/Rear Adjustable Sways
Watt's Link
Vorshlag Front Brake Ducting Setup

Maybe I need to add another $ above!

Eventually (next summer) looking to add 18x11's to the mix with some round rubbery sticky things. :clap:

Last edited:

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
Well we didn't plan on this, but a couple of guys I race/build cars with decided to pool together and bought a 9,000lb 2 post car lift...

Gramps

Straight Grampin'
Reaction score
I'm pretty bummed that my region is not supporting CAM, but I don't want to remove my cams just to take me out of SM. It would be a logical move but my car isn't a dedicated autocrosser and to be honest, I couldn't fathom my car without them. Erm, well I mean I couldn't fathom my car with stock cams. Anyway, my upgrades over the next couple of weeks before the season opener will be:

Eibach Multi-Pro R2 coilovers w/ 450/350 springs for now
Maximum Motorsport caster/camber plates
LCA relocation brackets
UCA
285/35/18 Nitto NT05 tires

This will also be the first year that I give a damn and compete in every event in my region and even events in other regions. I'd like to actually try to do well in points (except there's that painful SM PAX multiplier) and document the year. Should be a fun time. New year new autocross things. First event is 24 Jan. When are you all starting your season?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, your coilovers put you in SM too.

It makes zero sense for your region to not support CAM. It's the best recruitment tool the SCCA has come up with since Street Touring.

Gramps

Straight Grampin'
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, your coilovers put you in SM too.

Really? Under brake, steering, and suspension allowances for CAM it states "components, lines, hoses, and methods of attachment are unrestricted."
The words "components" and "unrestricted" makes it sound like I can have coilovers in that class. Is there a caveat somewhere I missed?

If you are trying to be competitive, I wouldn't use the NT05's.

NT05s are 200 UTQG, the minimum tread wear you can have for CAM. Unfortunate for me, I already bought the tires in preparation for running CAM. Additionally, a couple of the fastest guys in my region run NT05s. Further more, they were priced well and available at the time of purchase. No, I won't be competitive in SM with NT05s or really anything other than slicks but again, unfortunately for me I already bought them in preparation for another class that I now can't compete in.

Last edited:

frink84

Reaction score
Really? Under brake, steering, and suspension allowances for CAM it states "components, lines, hoses, and methods of attachment are unrestricted."
The words "components" and "unrestricted" makes it sound like I can have coilovers in that class. Is there a caveat somewhere I missed?

He was referencing you running in SM. CAM allows coilovers.

NT05s are 200 UTQG, the minimum tread wear you can have for CAM. Unfortunate for me, I already bought the tires in preparation for running CAM. Additionally, a couple of the fastest guys in my region run NT05s. Further more, they were priced well and available at the time of purchase. No, I won't be competitive in SM with NT05s or really anything other than slicks but again, unfortunately for me I already bought them in preparation for another class that I now can't compete in.

in the 200tw category, the Rival S's and RE-71R's are the tires to have, depending on what width and size you need. the NT05 is old tech at this point for CAM usage.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score

What I meant was...even if you removed your cams to run ESP or STP or something, running a relocated rear spring would bump you to SM (or CP?).

Suspension is wide open in CAM.

Gramps

Straight Grampin'
Reaction score
in the 200tw category, the Rival S's and RE-71R's are the tires to have, depending on what width and size you need. the NT05 is old tech at this point for CAM usage.

I totally agree however, price and availability were the two deciding factors on the NT05s. For $800 and the fact that they were in the size I wanted, I bought them.

What I meant was...even if you removed your cams to run ESP or STP or something, running a relocated rear spring would bump you to SM (or CP?).

Suspension is wide open in CAM.

Ah, oops. I missed your point. Got it.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
UTQG ratings are bullshit anyway. They should have an independent test or something. I remember Yoko had a tire that was 80 UTQG in all but one size, and it had a 220. I always suspected it was somebody who needed to comply and wanted to use that single size.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
In most cases with the NT-05, the 140 and 200 ratings are available in the same size tire. Dimensionally, they are slightly different on the spec sheet.

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
Well. My installed parts list is fairly underwhelming so far but there's still time lol.
I've managed to install new ARH headers with cats and carbotech ax6 brake pads. Still waiting on time to install my energy suspension front control arm bushings and I need to hurry up and pull the trigger on a t2r diff.

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Got my Konis back from Truechoice, went up to 800/350 springs. Just went to the 350s, trying to decide between 250-350 out back. Hard to tell on the factory rubber on the street. First autocross April 3, not sure when the first test day at the road course will be.

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Put the pig on the scales over the weekend. 1/2 tank of fuel.

No driver...

Me in it. (All it took to get the crossweights right were two turns down LF, so I had it pretty close eyeballing it)

Thought it would be 100lbs heavier. Has really light wheels and the exhaust is fairly light, but also has about 80lbs of rollbar in it as well. Nothing else removed from the car. Zero option '14 Track Pack car.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back