Best Street Tire?

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
No idea if it's available in a size for you, but the Dunlop Star Spec is a phenomenal tire.

This! Love mine I just wish they came in taller sizes... the only 265s they make are 265/35/18 and are just too short for me to run...

To the OP what do you mean by "best"? I hear great things about Continental Extreme Contact DW tires for a DD vehicle. Excellent rain performance and tons of solid sizes and good grip for the tread wear rating. If handling is your drug of choice the top tires are:

Hankook RS3
Bridgestone RE11
Dunlop Direzza Z1 Sport Star Spec (soon to be replaced by the ZII)
Yokohama Advan Neova AD08

Those above for all out non r compound streetable handling tires.

trigger5150

forum member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the Nitto 555s? I'm running them on my car now, but I'm by no means loyal to them.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Loved the 555s while N/A and under 500hp. Once I went over 500hp they're worthless. I'm running 555r and they're fine in a straight line. If I change lanes and hit the pedal, even a little bit, the rear end gets squirly, so I have to make sure I've gotten the car straight before punching it. I'm also looking for a good tire aside from the M/T DR which works great but not so much in the rain.

trigger5150

forum member
Reaction score
Loved the 555s while N/A and under 500hp. Once I went over 500hp they're worthless. I'm running 555r and they're fine in a straight line. If I change lanes and hit the pedal, even a little bit, the rear end gets squirly, so I have to make sure I've gotten the car straight before punching it. I'm also looking for a good tire aside from the M/T DR which works great but not so much in the rain.
That's what I'm afraid of. I'm getting ready to supercharge the car and I'm afraid these just aren't going to do well with that setup.

EGNARO

Orange Backwards
Reaction score
If you want a cheaper alternative to Michelin, you can try the BFG KDW2's. The plus is they have excellent wet performance and the tread lasts a long time (in addition to looking cool).

bfg_gforceta_kdw2_ci2_l.jpg

I've got these. They're friggin amazing

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
That's what I'm afraid of. I'm getting ready to supercharge the car and I'm afraid these just aren't going to do well with that setup.

You have good instinct here... they suck (555s). I literally hit the rev limiter (7.2K) the other day with my auto. Spinning all the way to the limiter in 1,2,3 and barely moving. It was not intended. Just would not hook once they started to spin. Hit fourth spun some but finally started to move. Then it downshifted back to 3rd. Pretty much sucked. Those nittos can suck a fart out of my ass. I literally can downshift off the converter on a nice surface at almost 80 and the car spins the shit out of the tires. They were ok on stock power but not so much now.

Looking at options myself, but for traction dont think they are going to be 20's for long. Just not much way around the 18's. Weight is another problem with mine.

trigger5150

forum member
Reaction score
You have good instinct here... they suck (555s). I literally hit the rev limiter (7.2K) the other day with my auto. Spinning all the way to the limiter in 1,2,3 and barely moving. It was not intended. Just would not hook once they started to spin. Hit fourth spun some but finally started to move. Then it downshifted back to 3rd. Pretty much sucked. Those nittos can suck a fart out of my ass. I literally can downshift off the converter on a nice surface at almost 80 and the car spins the shit out of the tires. They were ok on stock power but not so much now.

Looking at options myself, but for traction dont think they are going to be 20's for long. Just not much way around the 18's. Weight is another problem with mine.
I hear you. I was out at a friend's house the other day and did a burnout when I left and the car literally wouldn't move and I'm still N/A. I really wasn't meaning to spin as long as I did, but the car simply wouldn't stop. Second wasn't much better.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Here's a tip for you guys supposedly doing burnouts through 4th gear:

LET OFF THE THROTTLE

EGNARO

Orange Backwards
Reaction score
I have these as well and your are right.. they are amazing.... and also the noisiest tires I have ever owned...They are louder than my exhaust.

thats really weird. i had 1 bad tire when i bought them, loud as shit, told tire rack and they sent me a new one, and took the old one.

what size are you running?

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
I just replaced the stock Dunlops SPort Maxx with Nitto Invo. Very quiet tire... Seems to grip well too and have a cool tread!!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

About the only thing you can do (besides easing into the throttle) is run drag radials and even those will spin on the highway if you have enough power.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
No fans of the Toyo Proxes R888 ?

It's a great tire, but I wouldn't include it in this list since its a "dot" race tire. They have insane amounts of lateral grip, and hooks fairly well in a 670whp terminator...

Like LAK3RS said Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Almost everyone at Nurburgring and Hockenheimring's recommends these tires. I rode in a procharged 2012 gt on the north track it it had ridiculous lateral grip for a real street tire. The owner said he has straight line traction problems with them though..

Last edited:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Here's a tip for you guys supposedly doing burnouts through 4th gear:

LET OFF THE THROTTLE
Not sure how some of these folks are doing it, I have 750rwhp on 93 and over 800 on the race gas, and this doesnt happen to me.

I think people exagerate. From a dead stop, sure I could carry a spin through 4th, but I cant just do a 40-60 mph roll on in 4th and spin em.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Not sure how some of these folks are doing it, I have 750rwhp on 93 and over 800 on the race gas, and this doesnt happen to me.

I think people exagerate. From a dead stop, sure I could carry a spin through 4th, but I cant just do a 40-60 mph roll on in 4th and spin em.

Without any effort I spin the crap out of them from 40+ on a roll. Actually think I have a vid. Driver has everything to do with it lol. Obviously I stabbed it on a less than ideal and cool surface just waiting for it to grab. Once they started to spin not much was going to stop other than lift.

I still have shiity 255/50/20's in a 555s not drag for my street tires.. way too narrow/heavy. I am limited by a damn 9" rim. They are "forged" but I think they meant forged in lead. Tire/wheel combo is 63lbs each. I have not found a rim I really want that is light weight (without spending a few thousand bucks on just rims). Over 600 at the tire (on pump) pretty easy to do (on my lousy setup atleast).

My Hoosier QTP DR's will spin at the track if I have the 2step up too high (driver mod needed lol). About 6 passes on those and they need screws now. Once they start to spin 0n the rim then they probably won't stop. They were mounted with water and no soap. We had pressure down to IIRC 16lbs and they spun the rim almost 1/4 turn on the first couple passes. When they finally came around they spun almost 1/2 turn.. Really needed more pressure but higher and they spun after the track started to wear down (lots of radial tire cars that night).

I also have vct locked out on a PD blower and I get tons of torque down low. That does not help my problem much. The crank gears only retarded 2* right now and would benefit all around by retarding them more.

Last edited:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Without any effort I spin the crap out of them from 40+ on a roll. Actually think I have a vid. Driver has everything to do with it lol. Obviously I stabbed it on a less than ideal and cool surface just waiting for it to grab. Once they started to spin not much was going to stop other than the pedal.

I still have shiity 255/50/20's in a 555s not drag for my street tires.. way too narrow/heavy. I am limited by a damn 9" rim. They are "forged" but I think they meant forged in lead. Tire/wheel combo is 63lbs each. I have not found a rim I really want that is light weight (without spending a few thousand bucks on just rims). Over 600 at the tire (on pump) pretty easy to do (on my lousy setup atleast).

My Hoosier QTP DR's will spin at the track if I have the 2step up too high (driver mod needed lol). About 6 passes on those and they need screws now. Once they start to spin 0n the rim then they probably won't stop. They were mounted with water and no soap. We had pressure down to IIRC 16lbs and they spun the rim almost 1/4 turn on the first couple passes. When they finally came around they spun almost 1/2 turn.. Really needed more pressure but higher and they spun after the track started to wear down (lots of radial tire cars that night).

I also have vct locked out on a PD blower and I get tons of torque down low. That does not help my problem much. The crank gears only retarded 2* right now and would benefit all around by retarding them more.

I have 670lb/ft of torque at 2500 rpm on 93, and over 730 on the race gas. Then again, I run a nitto (shitto) nt555r dr 305/35/20 as my daily rear tire.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back