Better pedals for heal/toe

mitch

HPDE Instructor
Reaction score
I had a great set of custom pedals on my old GT,
Just wondering if there is a "go to" set up for the S197.

Not looking for anything fancy, just a way to close the gap in the pedals,

tia,

old setup:

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
I've got the SRP's in my car and absolutely love them. I think I sold 3 sets of them at the last car show by letting people with S197 cars try them out. I went with the medium width gas pedal.

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
I've got the SRP's in my car and absolutely love them. I think I sold 3 sets of them at the last car show by letting people with S197 cars try them out. I went with the medium width gas pedal.

Which texture style did you go with? Lots to choose from ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Great info in here, I find the pedals in these cars difficult to heel-toe with. Granted I'm not a pro like some of you guys but found it much easier in previous cars.

todcp

forum member
Reaction score
A set of SRP medium are here and waiting for install. Great looking piece.
I asked for a set without the footrest and saved $20 as the footrest did not matter to me.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Great info in here, I find the pedals in these cars difficult to heel-toe with. Granted I'm not a pro like some of you guys but found it much easier in previous cars.

These stock pedals are difficult to execute it with. My cousin is a performance driver and mentioned while driving my car that it is difficult to do.

mitch

HPDE Instructor
Reaction score
Lito,
Those are the pedals I had in the pic above.
They worked real well but cost a fortune! I paid $150 for the set!! Wont do that again.
I live near Steeda, here in Florida, Going to pick up this pedal today.

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-heel-toe-gas-pedal-555-1163/

I'll report back. I have a track day this Saturday at Homestead

Those SRP's look real nice!! I had not seen them before... Little more than I want to spend at the moment.

Last edited:

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Does anyone else heel toe with their heel on the brake and toe on the throttle?

I literally can't even turn my foot enough to the inside to get my toe on the brake and heel on the throttle. I think I'm just too tall for it.

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score

I literally can't even turn my foot enough to the inside to get my toe on the brake and heel on the throttle. I think I'm just too tall for it.
That is how i do it. I cant even try to do it the "real" way.

todcp

forum member
Reaction score
On most street cars heel and toe is actually rolling your foot from brake to gas. So the left side of your foot on the brake and roll the right side of your foot onto the gas. This can change a bit depending on the cars pedal layout.
Professional track schools that use Camaro and Mustang type cars actually recommend wearing sneakers over race shoes so that rolling your foot will reach the gas pedal easier.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score

Glad I'm not the only one. Idk how the hell people turn their leg that way...

I've tried doing it with the sides of my foot, left on the brake and right on the throttle, and it worked okay to a point. The pedals are too far apart to really make it worthwhile.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Lito,
Those are the pedals I had in the pic above.
They worked real well but cost a fortune! I paid $150 for the set!! Wont do that again.
I live near Steeda, here in Florida, Going to pick up this pedal today.

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-heel-toe-gas-pedal-555-1163/

I'll report back. I have a track day this Saturday at Homestead

Those SRP's look real nice!! I had not seen them before... Little more than I want to spend at the moment.

Oh yes, they are/were, I did that too and happy with them, at the time there were not much many options either. There are good looking/cheaper options available as the others have suggested, those SRP look quite good.

Can't/don't need to rotate too much in the stang with the stock pedals but yes is more a pinky-toe than a heel-toe and that is ok, You use your toe on the brake pedal and control pressure and pivot, is like a little art that just needs lots of practice, all my cars are manual (mustang, fiesta and ranger) and I do it daily so is absolutely natural for me, even on a Suzuki super carry 1000cc mini van I eventually use that has the pedals really distanced and there you need to practically twist your foot horizontally but is still so fun. The trick and focus is to keep your braking pressure correct and stable if you can't achieve that you are wasting more than gaining, once you get that, next thing is how much throttle you use on each situation and its timing with the clutch/shift, so it is practice, practice, practice.

Years ago I always thought about the "real" way but today I don't care on formalities, there is no space and no need to do it otherwise, I don't feel like cheating anymore. Talking about cheating, I have a friend shop owner I tune his Focus SVT for local road racing as he was quite new in this and when I finally got to see the car found a biycicle handle on the shifter, at that time I wonder what was it for but to not sound stupid, didn't ask, later, apart I asked him what the hell was that for? "for throttle blipping on downshifting, that heel and toeing is too complicated", lol.

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
In a street car with a full interior, stock height seating, carpeting, and floor mats it's almost impossible for anyone with feet larger than a size 6 to execute a true heel/toe with the toes on the brake and rotating over to the gas pedal with the heel.

I will make a partial rotation of my foot to get a little more purchase on the gas pedal during the blip, but it's more of a hybrid of the sideways roll and the heel/toe movement.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Can't/don't need to rotate too much in the stang with the stock pedals but yes is more a pinky-toe than a heel-toe and that is ok, You use your toe on the brake pedal and control pressure and pivot, is like a little art that just needs lots of practice, all my cars are manual (mustang, fiesta and ranger) and I do it daily so is absolutely natural for me, even on a Suzuki super carry 1000cc mini van I eventually use that has the pedals really distanced and there you need to practically twist your foot horizontally but is still so fun. The trick and focus is to keep your braking pressure correct and stable if you can't achieve that you are wasting more than gaining, once you get that, next thing is how much throttle you use on each situation and its timing with the clutch/shift, so it is practice, practice, practice.

I never had an issue balancing the brake, throttle, and clutch when I raced bikes around the track, but that was a lot easier in my book because you never had to use your foot for more than one thing. IMO it's easier to do two things with your hand than your foot.

Controlling the brake with my heel isn't all that hard, but with the right set of petals I could just roll my foot from side to side which would be much easier.

Years ago I always thought about the "real" way but today I don't care on formalities, there is no space and no need to do it otherwise, I don't feel like cheating anymore. Talking about cheating, I have a friend shop owner I tune his Focus SVT for local road racing as he was quite new in this and when I finally got to see the car found a biycicle handle on the shifter, at that time I wonder what was it for but to not sound stupid, didn't ask, later, apart I asked him what the hell was that for? "for throttle blipping on downshifting, that heel and toeing is too complicated", lol.

I have thought about something similar... The Nissan 370Z has automatic rev matching on it for downshifting and it's badass. How hard would something like that be to tune or wire in? It would just be the opposite of a 2-step, right?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back