Big 3 upgrade?

Bnbstang

Reaction score
Im looking for somone who's done this upgrade on an S197. The alternaror is buried under the intake. My question is , if you can give me a clue as to what will be needed? Am I going to have to pull the intake off to access the alt? New gaskets? Please let me know, thanks! The block to chassis behind the block left side, done, new main ground from batt. to body. All thats left is this!

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
The alternator comes off in like 5 minutes. You don't even have to take the lower bolts completely out, the alternator is slotted to slide right out.

Disconnect battery
Remove serpentine belt
remove wiring to alternator
unbolt alternator
remove

Bnbstang

Reaction score
Gotcha, I had a feeling it was going to be easyier than it looks. It looks like a total pita. Thanks foe the heads up thats what I needed. Even better if I upgrade to a bigger alt later.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Here's a more in-depth look, I forgot you have to take off the throttle body. Youtube is a great reference for any car repair questions for what it's worth, man. Good luck with your repairs

watch

SLIKSKILZ

Reaction score
Just did it again yesterday. Kill power, remove belt, 2 nuts on bottom of alt, 2 bolts on top of alt bracket, wiggle it out, remove cables. This is how I do it every time. Didn't take pics....sorry.

Bnbstang

Reaction score
No worries, Im currently trying to figure out the Idatalink nightmare for my new headunit. I got all the big three cables except the Alt. which i'll do later today. I'm wondering though, is there a optima battery that people are using for the S197. I looked on their site and nothing comes up? It would be nice to have top and side mounts for terminals.

SLIKSKILZ

Reaction score
Redtop 34/78 has both top and side post tho if mounting in stock location the side posts would be on the wrong side towards the firewall. 34 or 34R should work. 34R has terminals on correct sides but they are usually in the middle anyway.

Bnbstang

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. Way helpfull. Im at the 5 year mark on my battery anyway so I was trying to see what I could get thats bigger and better. The stock style batteries are not friendly to any aftermarket terminals or anything.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back