big brakes.

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
Do willwoods, baer, brembo brakes share the same wheel requirements? On a thread on facebook it was decided that my wheels won't fit brembos behind. So if Brembos won't fit, does that apply to the other 4 piston calipers?

Wheels are varrstoen es2 19x9.5 +30

20141228_163439.jpg

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
I believe the others are in fact smaller, but I do not know by how much. Contact Tim at Varrstöen and he will help you out.

Great wheel choice btw. I have some 2.2.0's on the way. How's the fitment of your wheels?

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
I believe the others are in fact smaller, but I do not know by how much. Contact Tim at Varrstöen and he will help you out.

Great wheel choice btw. I have some 2.2.0's on the way. How's the fitment of your wheels?

Fitment is fantastic. I want to take the wheels to a machine shop to see if they could shave a few mm off the hub to fit a little better. I'm happy with where the cars at right now though.

20141228_161221.jpg

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
There is more to brake fitment then just spoke clearance. As folks are finding out with the 15" Brembo's on the 2015's and the 13-14 GT500's, you can fit an 18" wheel if the barrel shape is correct. The barrel being the part of the wheel that is between the rim edges. Spoke clearance is needed too, but barrel clearance is where a lot of wheels fall afoul of big brakes.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wilwood brakes require less space for the caliper's then Brembo's. I have even had some 17 inch wheels fit the front of mine. Like stated, it's the shape of the spokes, as well as the offset, that dictates if a wheel will fit. Most of the companies have wheel fitment charts on their web sites.

tr_ms3

Reaction score
Each caliper is definitely different. Just make sure that you are actually needing big brakes before you go through the hassle. It is for more than just looks...

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
Each caliper is definitely different. Just make sure that you are actually needing big brakes before you go through the hassle. It is for more than just looks...

I don't need them. It would be nice to have the braking power. This is mostly for looks than anything else. If I was more focused on performance I would be looking at lightweight brakes.

Looking at wilwoods at the moment. They seem to have a big selection of brake setups for front and rear.

Was able to find this
ds520_wcd-lg.jpg

So I would need to measure and make sure I have about 1.6" from the end of the rotor hat ya?

08mojo

Reaction score
If you shave the hub of the wheel, your brake fitment will be even worse. Diameter wise, you should be fine with a 14" setup and also should be okay with 15"--as far as stock brembos.

Where you located? I have a set of stock 14" brembos on the shelf. If you're local to Atlanta, we could see if they fit. Or, find someone local to you and swap a wheel on their car.

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
If you shave the hub of the wheel, your brake fitment will be even worse. Diameter wise, you should be fine with a 14" setup and also should be okay with 15"--as far as stock brembos.

Where you located? I have a set of stock 14" brembos on the shelf. If you're local to Atlanta, we could see if they fit. Or, find someone local to you and swap a wheel on their car.

I'm in California. If I shaved the wheel I would definitely use a spacer. At the moment a spacer might be used anyway. The price of BBK ' S are straying me to that option.

tr_ms3

Reaction score
Just so you know, big brakes actually stop worse in day to day driving than factory brakes. Their advantage is on the track where they allow you many more stops before you encounter brake fade.

If you are doing it for looks only, go for it.

08mojo

Reaction score
Just so you know, big brakes actually stop worse in day to day driving than factory brakes. Their advantage is on the track where they allow you many more stops before you encounter brake fade.

How do you figure they stop worse during normal driving? Brake pad selection will play a big role on cold brake stops.

Larger brakes (rotors) give a bigger mechanical advantage due to the increase in diameter (larger lever advantage). So, in normal driving they'll still stop better due to the simple mechanical advantage.

I have not noticed any normal braking difference with the gt500 setup on my car. I'll also be the first to admit I did it for looks, but they absolutely do not stop worse in normal driving.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score

yea, because pad selection has nothing to do with this.. :asshat:

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score

I would love to know how bigger brakes perform worse on a daily basis...

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
Since drag brakes are smaller, everyone should put them on their DD. For you know, better day to day stopping.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
So, lets throw a blanket statement down and say big brakes stop worse? Great idea.. I guess the engineers are retards for putting brembos on the Shelbys and brembo optioned cars.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back