Boss 302S A Arms on a 2006 GT

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
I have some heat reflective tape left over that I can try when I replace the boots. I could probably put some on the brake cooling plate in front of the ball joint too fro good measure.

That's what I like about Vorshlag's brake cooling dust shield. They cut all unnecessary metal away but leave the dust shield close to the ball joint to act as a heat shield. at least I think that was their intention. Probably a good idea to wrap the BJ anyway.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just thought I would post an update on these arms and ball joints. I have seen several posts lately about the Steeda ball joints going bad in their arms. I am happy to report no issues with my Howe ball joints so far. The only thing is that the dust boots are toast already, which is unfortunate. I've ordered replacements from Watson Racing. For those of you interested in just getting the ball joints but not changing the bushings, Watson now sells them on their own.

http://shop.watsonracing.com/HOWE-EXTENDED-BALL-JOINT-BALL-JOINT-ONLY-p/wr-22409.htm

Thanks for the link.

That's what I like about Vorshlag's brake cooling dust shield. They cut all unnecessary metal away but leave the dust shield close to the ball joint to act as a heat shield. at least I think that was their intention. Probably a good idea to wrap the BJ anyway.
Don't they specifically state that on the page? I am sure I've read somewhere that is exactly why the section is left there.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
Don't they specifically state that on the page? I am sure I've read somewhere that is exactly why the section is left there.

Yep. They do.

we keep a portion of the outer duct shield next to the tie rod, to shield it from brake heat

I like that feature as well. I have the FRPP duct backing plates on right now, which cover the whole backside of the rotor. I'll be trimming them here in a couple days to exactly mimic the Vorshlag ones. But even though mine currently still cover the ball joints, the boots are toast.

tigercrazy718

Reaction score
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but my ball joints are toast and I'm researching my options. After a year, are you still happy with your boss s a-arms? And if anyone got the steeda ones, how're they working for you? The price is lower on the steedas, so it's definitely tempting.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
BOSS ball joints are still alive and kicking. Lots of hard street miles and some track days thrown in there too. The dust boots melted soon after install, but I bought some spares from Watson Racing and changed em out. Definitely quality parts.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
The biggest benefit that the Steeda arms have is that they are cheap and they already have poly bushings installed. I have heard of the ball joints failing, but I am unsure of whether the issue has been fixed or not. A surface inspection of the Steeda joints leads me to believe that the Howe joints in the FRPP Boss arms is of higher quality and more suited to racing. A dual use street car probably would be fine with the Steeda joints. I would still buy the FRPP one's but my car is a little more track than street built. I personally can't really recommend one over the other since I have no personal experience with the Steeda's, but I am very happy with the Boss ones.

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I have seen 4 steeda ball joints break at the track this year alone if that tells you anything.

tigercrazy718

Reaction score
The biggest benefit that the Steeda arms have is that they are cheap and they already have poly bushings installed. I have heard of the ball joints failing, but I am unsure of whether the issue has been fixed or not. A surface inspection of the Steeda joints leads me to believe that the Howe joints in the FRPP Boss arms is of higher quality and more suited to racing. A dual use street car probably would be fine with the Steeda joints. I would still buy the FRPP one's but my car is a little more track than street built. I personally can't really recommend one over the other since I have no personal experience with the Steeda's, but I am very happy with the Boss ones.

Ok that's great to hear. Thanks a bunch for taking the leap and experimenting with these arms for the rest of us haha.

I have seen 4 steeda ball joints break at the track this year alone if that tells you anything.

Holy shit. Well I guess that pretty much settles it. Bummer too because they would save me 200 bucks.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
BOSS ball joints are still alive and kicking. Lots of hard street miles and some track days thrown in there too. The dust boots melted soon after install, but I bought some spares from Watson Racing and changed em out. Definitely quality parts.

There is a greasing that should be done periodically and a disassembly and lash-adjustment that should be done on an annual basis, according to the Howe instructions. Make sure you are doing those to keep them going strong!

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
There is a greasing that should be done periodically and a disassembly and lash-adjustment that should be done on an annual basis, according to the Howe instructions. Make sure you are doing those to keep them going strong!

I've been greasing them on a regular basis but didn't know anything about the lash adjustment. Thanks! Do you have a link to the instructions?

Back