Boss Exhaust Cams/Coyote Cam Swap

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I have a buddy who is giving me a set of stock Boss cams for my Coyote. Right now I'm running F150 cams, so the Mustang cams will be a pretty decent upgrade. Being that the Boss and GT share the same intake cams but have different exhaust cams, I'm wondering if I should upgrade at least my exhaust valve springs. Has anyone with a GT swapped to stock Boss exhaust cams and used the stock springs? This is a daily driver occasional drag/road course car and I'll be using the stock IM, so no crazy revving for me.

I was also considering doing billet OPGs at the same time since the car will be ripped apart, but it won't be boosted for a long time. I don't think I've ever seen someone break OPGs on an N/A car.

Last edited:

J B

Goldmember
Reaction score
Might be a silly question but what exhaust are you running?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Stock opgs have broken on N/A cars, a lot. Its common in the manuals because of people banging the rev limiter. IIRC you have to clearance the heads for boss cams.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Stock opgs have broken on N/A cars, a lot. Its common in the manuals because of people banging the rev limiter. IIRC you have to clearance the heads for boss cams.

The engine came out of a 2014, hopefully it can just accept them. I know that on 11-12 cars you had to, but I thought the 13-14 you didn't need to. I can't find any failures on NA cars on here, only guys with blowers.

Truck manifold?

Intake manifold, yes. I have a Mustang intake manifold sitting in the garage. Exhaust manifolds are Mustang.

Last edited:

J B

Goldmember
Reaction score
The engine came out of a 2014, hopefully it can just accept them. I know that on 11-12 cars you had to, but I thought the 13-14 you didn't need to.

Intake manifold, yes. I have a Mustang intake manifold sitting in the garage. Exhaust manifolds are Mustang.
Ok, I know you'd need an exhaust upgrade with the bigger cam or it wouldnt be worth it

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Ok, I know you'd need an exhaust upgrade with the bigger cam or it wouldnt be worth it

They're factory Boss cams, no exhaust upgrade required. The Boss uses the same tubular headers as the GT. These aren't the CJ or Boss 302 R cams.

J B

Goldmember
Reaction score
They're factory Boss cams, no exhaust upgrade required. The Boss uses the same tubular headers as the GT. These aren't the CJ or Boss 302 R cams.
Sorry, wasnt clear. I meant to say if you still had the truck exhaust manifolds you wouldnt get as much benefit.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You probably wont on here. Its kind of embarrassing admitting you cant drive. I would upgrade the springs, opg's, and crank gear. While you are in there you could upgrade the tensioners to the boss ones. They are meant for high rpm applications. I have them in my car.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
You probably wont on here. Its kind of embarrassing admitting you cant drive. I would upgrade the springs, opg's, and crank gear. While you are in there you could upgrade the tensioners to the boss ones. They are meant for high rpm applications. I have them in my car.

I've been thinking about doing all of those things except for the crank gear, but I'm just not sure I want to dump an extra $400-500 into this swap. My mind says it's good insurance, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be pushing the car that hard. It's incredibly rare for me to hit the limiter and I usually short shift if anything.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Make sure to come back and let us know if you realize a difference with the cams! When are you doing the swap?

I wouldn't do the oil pump gears. Old truck engine, slow revving, maybe shift at 3800-4000.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Make sure to come back and let us know if you realize a difference with the cams! When are you doing the swap?

I wouldn't do the oil pump gears. Old truck engine, slow revving, maybe shift at 3800-4000.

The truck guys are claiming 30-40 RWHP with just the intake cams. I'm not sure if the Boss exhaust cams will help much, but I got them for free.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the new cams in my old 2014 engine with 30k miles on it thats never EVER sees 7K RPM /sarcasm lol

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Sounds like alot of work for your intended purpose of the car IMO. I'd think a set of longtubes would be easier, and produce similar or more power than the cams, or cams plus oil pump gears, Especially when you mention stuff like "rarely hitting the rev limiter", "short-shifting" etc. Also, I'm betting your boss cams would really appreciate a boss Intake manifold and a higher rpm ceiling which you said you weren't interested in.

I'm not sure if it is possible to swap cams without pulling off your timing cover, but If I was going to be removing the front cover, I'd have a hard time not upgrading the pump gears and crank sprocket just in case you ever want forced induction. But you are right about the expense, but that's quite a bit of work to do twice though. Then there's your balancer to consider, do you really want to reinstall the stocker on any kind of performance build?

If it was me with a set of boss cams on a shelf with your car the way it sits, I'd be considering a boss, or CJ intake, long-tubes, oil pump gears, timing gear, and a good balancer to really let those cams shine and be reliable, but it isn't cheap by any means, I just don't like doing alot of work for small results is all. But if the "truck" guys are right and you really could see 30 or more rwhp, it may be worth it.

Last edited:

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score

Sounds like alot of work for your intended purpose of the car IMO. I'd think a set of longtubes would be easier, and produce similar or more power than the cams, or cams plus oil pump gears.

Especially when you mention stuff like "rarely hitting the rev limiter", "short-shifting" etc. Also, I'm betting your boss cams would really appreciate a boss Intake manifold and a higher rpm ceiling which you said you weren't interested in.

The truck cams fall off around 6K RPM and it just makes noise past that. I want to be able to spin to 7200-7400 RPM. By high RPM I mean I'm not shooting for 8K and short shifting meaning 6800-7200 RPM.

The Boss intake cam is the same as the GT intake cam, the exhaust cam is a little different though. I am definitely doing the intake cam and figured I'd do the exhaust since I was in there anyways and it cost me nothing.

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
if your swapping cams do the gears- inspect the sprocket- make sure you get the correct gears for your oil pumps - I thought the trucks were thinner but double check- and the factory manifolds I would keep till you go boosted- you still have the slightly less compression pistons of the truck motor- and those cams are going to make a huge difference escpecially if you get tuned in for them. good luck should be a easy swap for you after the one you just did. 40 rwhp is huge on a na set up it would almost feel like the upgrade you just did over the 3 v.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
The truck oil pump does have thinner gears, but I have a Mustang pump waiting to go in. After speaking with someone I really trust, I decided to upgrade the springs but leave the OPGs stock. I'll probably be keeping stock tensioners too.

I think I may also be switching back to just 93 instead E85. As much as I love E85, trips to the CornHub are a pain in the ass when I have to go every other day.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back