Boss Intake on an Auto and Converter Q's

Bullett

Pwnisher
Reaction score
Not sure if this is tech so feel free to move if necessary.

Tomorrow I am getting my Circle D converter installed. It is a 3600 stall. Current mods are as follows:
JLT Oil Seperator
JLT CAI
BBR ORX
Kooks 3" CB
Shaftmasters DS.

My eventual plans are for a Turbo kit. But in the mean time I want to go as fast as I can NA but also not get things I'll have to remove such as LT's.

My questions are these:
Will the BOSS intake help me any with the converter and my stock 3.15's?
Should I change gears because of my Converter?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Bullett

Pwnisher
Reaction score
Yea always wanted a vert. Fully loaded and HID's! I love it man. It's gone 12.4's before stall at 106.. I let off. The potential is there. Hopefully converter takes it over the edge.

stang1971

forum member
Reaction score
i have a circle d stall... 4.10's.... i put the boss intake on and loss 3 tenths and 4 mph... the autos just dont stay in the high rpm's long enough... i went home... put the stock intake back on... put my other tune back in and went to the track the next day.. same conditions as the day before and was running like i was before the boss intake.

Bodam

forum member
Reaction score
i have a circle d stall... 4.10's.... i put the boss intake on and loss 3 tenths and 4 mph... the autos just dont stay in the high rpm's long enough... i went home... put the stock intake back on... put my other tune back in and went to the track the next day.. same conditions as the day before and was running like i was before the boss intake.
What RPM was it shifting at? I have mine tuned to shift at 7,300 now, and need to ge tto the track to see if that is high enough.

If not, the boss might come off mine as well....

Bodam

forum member
Reaction score
The Boss will ONLY help if you are maxing out your RPM's. That's basically all it is good for. In an auto, we have a slight advantage that our shifts are fast enough that we shouldn't fall out of the RPM zone too much.

Now that being said, you need to puch your shifts higher to get the advantage of the intake. If you aren't shifting at 7,300 at least, it is a waste.

Just my opinion....

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
The Boss will ONLY help if you are maxing out your RPM's. That's basically all it is good for. In an auto, we have a slight advantage that our shifts are fast enough that we shouldn't fall out of the RPM zone too much.

Now that being said, you need to puch your shifts higher to get the advantage of the intake. If you aren't shifting at 7,300 at least, it is a waste.

Just my opinion....

I'm not sure how it works out with the autos, but the internet wisdom I've heard is that you're wasting the Boss mani if you're shifting much under 7600.

Yagermeister

Reaction score
Ditto what Napoleon85 said... I've heard 7600-7800 is where you need to be with a Boss intake...manual OR auto!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow. So far the verdict is the boss isn't helping autos much??

Just my opinion....

Even 5.0 Magazine said that pretty much the only point of a BOSS manifold was bling in the engine bay, unless the car is routinely used for road racing or drag racing.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I've tried the boss intake twice... personally I found it to give my car a case of AIDS on the drag strip.

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not running a boss manifold on my '11
I'm running a 4400 stall in mine.

I was running 4.56 gears along with this convertor and it would cut low 1.5 high 1.4 60' times. Now with the Turbo, I'm running 3.55 gears and I'm cutting the same 60' times.

DTony

forum member
Reaction score
I must be the exception to the rule. With my 3600 converter, long tubes, 4.10 gears and CAI I ran both intakes at the track on the same day. Both intakes had their respective tunes, meaning the Boss intake rev'd to 7400 and the stock one to 7000. With those mod's my car ran .10 and around 2 mph faster with the Boss intake.

I do not remember the times but they both were in the mid 11 range with the Boss intake being .10 faster. Also, my best 60' time of 1.56 is with the Boss intake, 3600 converter, and 4.10 gears.

Last edited:

stang1971

forum member
Reaction score
What RPM was it shifting at? I have mine tuned to shift at 7,300 now, and need to ge tto the track to see if that is high enough.

If not, the boss might come off mine as well....
it was with a tune that dindt shift as high as i wanted.. it was shifting at 7100... the tune i have now shifts at 7300 but even then the rpms still drop down enough that i only see 7k+ rpm's for a very shirt time.

Bullett

Pwnisher
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Now should I consider a gear change from my stock 3.15's to a 3.55 or more?

stang1971

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Now should I consider a gear change from my stock 3.15's to a 3.55 or more?
i went with 4.10's cuz i planned on staying N/A.... i LOVE the 4.10's the car rockets out of the hole and is a blast to drive.

DTony

forum member
Reaction score

For the Boss intake you will want more gear than a 3.55 if you are staying n/a.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back