Brembo caliper upgrade (not GT500)

Fej

Reaction score
Not your typical application, but I have been searching the web for days without a clear answer.

What I am wondering is if the "Brembo upgrade package" caliper bolts up to the standard GT caliper mounting bracket on the OEM 13.2" front rotors, or if they have their own custom bracket.

Application is actually in to a fairly custom '66 coupe that will be likely running an 18x9" rim and 255/265 tires. Since I will be about 600lbs lighter than you guys I am thinking the OEM brembo caliper would be a nice (and net less expensive) brake upgrade and allow me to stay 18's vs the GT500 set up.

Thanks in advance

Fej

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
What I am wondering is if the "Brembo upgrade package" caliper bolts up to the standard GT caliper mounting bracket on the OEM 13.2" front rotors, or if they have their own custom bracket.

Fej

The front steering knuckle (the complex casting that all the tie rods and the strut are attached to) is the same for all the S197 cars, so all of the front brake calipers (OEM 13.2", OEM Brembo 14" and OEM Brembo 15") delivered since 2005 are mechanically interchangeable and will bolt up, so long as you match them up with the correct rotors as well. Whether these later calipers will work on a much earlier model year is way above my pay grade.

Fej

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Read through that link and could not determine if I could do what I am trying to do.

So long story short, there are bracket kits from a couple of vendors that are designed to bolt up the 13.2 plus 2 piston calipers on to 65/66 drum spindles. What I am trying to figure out is if the mounting bolt pattern is the same on the 2 piston stock GT caliper and any version of the brembo caliper. So I am trying to run 4 piston brembo caliper plus 13.2" rotors ( probably not quite optimal pad contact in that combination). JAS reply leads me to believe that I can ....

Thanks again
Fej

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
Won't work. Brembos actually bolt directly up to the spindle, they do NOT use brackets. So you cannot bolt a brembo caliper to a standard 2 piston caliper bracket.

Fej

Reaction score
To clarify, the brackets that I would be using allow the proper spacing to bolt the caliper "to the spindle" for all intensive purposes, and I would not be using the factory 2 piston brackets.

www.mustangsteve.com I believe is the addy

Thanks
Fej

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
If the brackets that you want will allow use of the 13.2" GT brakes, then the spacing should also be correct for any of the Brembos found on 07-12 cars- the 14", 15", and 13.2" calipers/rotors all bolt directly up to an S197 hub, so I would figure something that would allow use of one would allow use of all. At that point, you will just have to have wheels that clear and you'll be good to go.

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
... I am trying to run 4 piston brembo caliper plus 13.2" rotors ( probably not quite optimal pad contact in that combination).

Thanks again
Fej

You have to stay "like-with-like" so if you're going to run the 14" calipers, run the 14" rotors. You can't run the 13.2" rotors with the 14" Brembo calipers because the rotors are too thin and the pistons will pop out of the caliper when the pads wear down. To say nothing of the fact that the pads will be hanging over the edge of the rotor by 3/8". It's just a bad idea. DON'T DO IT!

Fej

Reaction score
Did the "performance brake" GT's come with 14" rotors as well? So basically Ford just threw earlier GT500 kits in grey instead of black on the '13 up GT?

With regards to the calipers, if the stock GT calipers bolt on to my custom brackets (not oem) and spindles in the same location for the 13.2" rotor, and the brembo caliper mounts in the same manner, the real issue is only rotor thickness correct?

Thanks for all of the help, trying to do the research instead of the buy and regret thing lol.

Fej

TNToy

Reaction score
GT500s 2007 - 2012 have the same brakes as Brembo or Track Package Mustang GTs from 2011-2014.

It is a 14" rotor matched to a 4-piston Brembo caliper, and the GT version is still black with a red Brembo logo on it.

When they bumped the GT500 to a 662hp monster for 13-14, Ford added even more brake. A 15" rotor and a 6-piston Brembo caliper. The Track Package and Brembo GTs keep the smaller brakes.

I absolutely love the 14" set on my car. Superb brakes and they hold up very well even in extended track use with proper pads and high-end fluid, along with brake cooling ducts run to the from air dam.

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
... if the stock GT calipers bolt on to my custom brackets (not oem) and spindles in the same location for the 13.2" rotor, and the brembo caliper mounts in the same manner, the real issue is only rotor thickness correct?...

Sadly, not correct.

First, the brake pads. They are designed to fit the rotor and the caliper at the same time. The width of the swept face of the rotor ("depth") has to match the depth of the pad. If the rotor is narrower than the pad depth, the pad will bind against the center hat or it will hang over the edges of the friction face, or both. Neither is safe or acceptable. Similarly, the pad has to fit perfectly in the caliper - it has to be the right "depth", width and thickness. The 14" Brembo pads are an industry standard D1001 pad - 132mm wide, 15mm thick and 62mm deep. They are NOT interchangeable with the pads from the GT brakes, which are a completely different shape.

Second, the rotor dimensions. Other than the diameter issues above, you also have the issue of rotor inset. Manufacturers match the inner dimension of the wheel rim to the outer dimension of the caliper. That's why 14" brakes need 18" rims and 15" brakes need 19" rims, and even then not all rims will fit because the back of the spokes can hit the face of the caliper. Once the outer face of the caliper is positioned to clear the wheel spokes, the centerline of the rotor is moved in or out on the hub to position it on the centerline of the pad pocket. For that reason, there's no reason to believe that the 13.2" rotors will have the same inset as the Brembo rotors. In fact it's likely that they don't. What that means is that if you install a 13.2 inch rotor with a 14" caliper, it's likely it won't center up in the pad pocket, making it impossible to install a pad on one side or the other of the rotor.

Did I mention it's a bad idea to mix and match components? Keep like with like and it's all good. Mix them up and you're creating a danger to yourself and others.

claudermilk

Reaction score
and the GT version is still black with a red Brembo logo on it.
Nope. The GT Brembo or Track Pack 4-piston calipers are matte grey with a white decal. The 6-piston 15" GT500 Brembos are gloss black. Not sure what the older 4-piston GT500 calipers are finished in.

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
The "Brembo Package" on a 2013 GT:

8193425221_192376668f_b.jpg

These are the 2007+GT500 Brembos as added to a 2009 GT:

5198323503_cb87564a06_b.jpg

Fej

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Going to get the GT rear brakes and parking brake cables squared away on the Versailles 9" and then look in to the front some more. Considering going to the 14" setup and potentially a modern rim like the F14 with built in 1" offset hubs to get the track width right.

Thanks again
Fej

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
If you go to fordracingparts.com and look up part M-2300-S, which is FRPP's 14" Brembo kit, and click on the instructions link there, you'll find this list of all these individual part numbers.​
.​
.​
Item ... # ... Part name .............................................. Part Number​
1 .......... 2 ...14” GT-500 Rotors ................................. 7R3Z-1125-AA​
2 .......... 2 ... Brake Dust Shields ................................ 7R3Z-2K004-A​
3 .......... 1 ... Brembo 4-Piston Caliper RF .................. 7R3Z-2B120-A​
4 .......... 1 ... Brembo 4-Piston Caliper LF ................... 7R3Z-2B121-A​
5 .......... 1 ... Performance Brakeline Kit Goodridge .... 12364​
6 .......... 1 ... Rear Brake Pad Kit ................................. 7R3Z-2200-A​
7 .......... 4 ... Caliper Anchor Bolts ............................... W710233-S439​
8 .......... 6 ... Dust Shield to Knuckle Bolts .................. W500020-S439​
9 .......... 4 ... Cable Ties .............................................. LCR-4340​
Additional Service Parts ... Front Brake Pad Kit ... 7R3Z-2001-A

Might be of use if you don't need everything.

Norm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back