Brembo GT500 brake kit on a GT. Is it worth it?

usmcpony

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 07 GT and was curious how much of a difference it really makes by upgrading to brembo brakes from the factory brakes. I found a brand new set of GT500 brembo brake upgrade for $800 and I've been tossing around the idea of picking these up. My car is a weekend driver with 15,000 miles. I might take it to a road course a couple times to have some fun but that's probly the most action it'll get.

Last edited:

Chim-Chim

Will drive for food
Reaction score
If you don't track it, you won't notice a difference. If you do, they are absolutely worth it. They may not be necessary, depending on your local tracks, but you won't regret them.

droptop07

forum member
Reaction score
They do make a difference. But like mentioned above, not really under normal braking conditions. Did notice mine when I had to get on brakes hard one day when someone pulled out in front of me. And friend of mine has them with the big back brakes, WOW.. Next mod after long tube install is big back brake kit for my 07.

usmcpony

forum member
Reaction score
Would anyone have pic of them installed on their GT?

droptop07

forum member
Reaction score
More pictures in the link in my SIG,,,

DSC09875.jpg

Last edited:

Ch4r1ie

The Limey Bastard
Reaction score
Would anyone have pic of them installed on their GT?

As as been said, definitely a worthy upgrade if you track it...

08092011179.jpg

08092011181.jpg

rebeccaindirversseatDSC_0006.jpg

Choosing to go with the Brembo's is a no-brainer (upgrade to braided hoses and a good DOT4 whilst you're at it)... choosing which pads you're going to run with them is an entirely different matter!

Last edited:

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
Worth every penny! Especially if you find them as a "new take off" from a Shelby. I think I paid $700 for mine with almost zero miles on them. Do some digging around.

DRock

Reaction score
More than worth it. On te street they are noticeable in emergency situations! Plus they look way better behid the aheels

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
Brembo upgrade would be one of the best "bang for the buck" mods especially for track events.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
i went from a Baer big brake kit to the brembos and can tell you that it is def a huge upgrade even over other smaller track day setups.

for the money i think it was the best upgrade i have done. i got mine from Steve Poe and am grateful as he gave me a great deal.

as far as the feel over the factory or the 2 piston PBR corvette calipers from the baer kit, i think the baer kit had a stiffer pedal but for clamping force you can tell the brembos are superior. also the factory rotors are pretty cheap compared to the 2 pcs units from baer($600+).

for an occasional track day car i think you would be ok with ss lines, DOT4 motul fluid, and some HP+ pads. if you wanted to splurge you could get some DBA 2 pcs rotors and brake cooling ducts added to that....

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
i also have my used Baer kit if your interested? pm me and we can work out a good deal as it will come with everything you would need.

striker 5

forum member
Reaction score
I picked up a brembo kit used off a gt500 with no miles also waiting on ss brake lines to finsh up I see to use dot 4 motul fluid I have dot 3 stock fluid now so this makes a big differance ? the fluid .

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
The Ford Brembo kit comes with the SS lines and a set of front and rear pads.

+2 on bang for the buck.

My front rotors only cost me $107 each at the Ford dealer but they do give enthusiasts a break on prices.

usmcpony

forum member
Reaction score
i went from a Baer big brake kit to the brembos and can tell you that it is def a huge upgrade even over other smaller track day setups.

for the money i think it was the best upgrade i have done. i got mine from Steve Poe and am grateful as he gave me a great deal.

as far as the feel over the factory or the 2 piston PBR corvette calipers from the baer kit, i think the baer kit had a stiffer pedal but for clamping force you can tell the brembos are superior. also the factory rotors are pretty cheap compared to the 2 pcs units from baer($600+).

for an occasional track day car i think you would be ok with ss lines, DOT4 motul fluid, and some HP+ pads. if you wanted to splurge you could get some DBA 2 pcs rotors and brake cooling ducts added to that....

I think that's the same kit I wanted. I talk to him the night he sold that kit. I'm local to him too Lol. I found another brand new kit for $800. Does that seem like a good deal? My original plan was to stop spending money on the stang and get a viper or Z06 in a couple months while keeping the Stang as a cruiser. I saw these locally and if its a good deal ill pick them up. Wanted to get opinions first.

Mr. WHO

forum member
Reaction score
I thought about getting a a set-up like this, but I dont track my enough to take full advantage. I only 2 or 3 time a year to a track. I found with a cooling setup, dot4, and ss line all around that, for now, is doing great and more than enough. I didnt notice much, but a firmer pedal on the street and thats only because of the ss lines, IMHO. Im sure as I become a better driver and stop deploying all the damn time, I will have to upgrade. But for now it works great.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
For now, I'm using drilled/slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads. The few times I've been to the track, the difference was quite noticeable. Also, on the street, panic braking is much better.

I plan on getting a set of GT500 Brembo's for my GT eventually. With my current setup and running a local Miata course, I never had issues with fade. But if I were doing a large course, or a high speed course, I could make these brakes start to fade pretty quick. Doing multiple 110mph to 40mph hard braking exercises while teaching my wife and daughter how to panic brake, I eventually started to get some fade and mushy pedal. Better brake fluid would, of course, take care of the mushy feeling, but better calipers and rotors are the real cure.

iceguyb14

Mustang Fanatic
Reaction score
the braking on my 2010 gt (which has the same brakes as the 2005-2009) wasn't bad, but the braking on my 2013 with the brembos is much better. stopping distances are about the same one, but if you are ever braking from higher speeds or repeatedly, the smaller rotors heat up a lot more and have a great deal of fade. plus the bigger brakes look cool ;) lol

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
I think that's the same kit I wanted. I talk to him the night he sold that kit. I'm local to him too Lol. I found another brand new kit for $800. Does that seem like a good deal? My original plan was to stop spending money on the stang and get a viper or Z06 in a couple months while keeping the Stang as a cruiser. I saw these locally and if its a good deal ill pick them up. Wanted to get opinions first.

i think its a great kit, cheaper than buying a new GT500 kit but the rotors are killer expensive. after i toasted the first set i had to buy the $600 rings and $100 bolt kit....yeah, got expensive way too fast. If you are only using them a few times i year like i do then i would go for the GT500 OEM. The Baers are nice but the rotors are going to kill your wallet to the point where you will not be happy after the first or second set.
Pros to the Baer kit? Pad choices are more than any other i have found as they were used on almost every corvette since 97 and lots of the camaro guys use the calipers as an upgrade. The calipers are easily replaceable if you need to get them and are cheap to replace. If Baer made one piece rotors for the kit it would be a better choice for you, but i dont think they do.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back