Brembo GT500 brake kit on a GT. Is it worth it?

jymontoya

forum member
Reaction score
Since you never mentioned whether it was for track use or not...

I agree with what everyone else said. Unless you do a good bit of tracking, and/or have considerable more power than stock, it's not worth it. Some really good pads will work just fine for a stockish GT on the track and the street. Bigger brakes are almost always heavier too, so they'll work against you all the time.

That said, I love my new Brembos, but with alot more power than a regular GT, and the fact that it really only gets driven on the track, I needed the extra capacity. Consumables (Rotors and Pads) are really cheap for them too compared to every other kit available. The new Brembo kit with lines and everything can be had for ~$900 from http://www.gefracing.com/ Give them a call for better pricing than shown online.

Also, unless you've got really deep pockets, and the car lives at the track, stay away from 2 piece rotors. I'd also caution anyone away from drilled and/or slotted rotors. The added cost doesn't justify the means when modern pads do not have much of a benefit from them. They crack and wear far faster than quality blank rotors. Quality blanks work great, use them!

wa2fst4u

forum member
Reaction score
On the note of running the Brembo setup on a GT. Ran TWS this past weekend. Brembo calipers, Ferodo DS2500 pads, SS lines, Motul 600 and stock rotors. All I can say is "wow!!". Really impressive and consistent braking even after a 20min session. At no time was I unsure if it was going to get slowed down (140mph-80mph) enough to make corner entrance. Lots of confidence and no fade. No sudden grabs during trail braking.

Daily driven and even with the Ferodo pads (no noise) it's super stopping powah.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
The biggest benefit is it really opens up the variety of pads you can put in, including a whole bunch of hardcore race pads if you're going to track the car.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Anyone use the steeda 13" upgrade kit. It has the extention brackets and uses the stock rear calipher? I was thinking of using that to go with my Brembo front brake upgrade.

jymontoya

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone use the steeda 13" upgrade kit. It has the extention brackets and uses the stock rear calipher? I was thinking of using that to go with my Brembo front brake upgrade.

Why?

You'll have to get the replacement rotors from Steeda at a very high price.

Why?

Grand Am cars use our stock rear brakes with great success.

Why?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll take that as a no :) I would actually just get calipher extentions and go with a blank 13" disk to match the Brembo takeoff's. I want to fill the wheel up a little more and I think the extentions look cool.

usmcpony

forum member
Reaction score
I thought I mentioned it. My car is mostly for street cruising and I might track a couple times this year to just have fun. My car has a kb supercharger pushing 480 rwhp and has steeda suspension. I was interested in these for not only the performance aspect but they look better than stock as well. If they aren't that noticeably better than stock on the road then I may pass.

Ch4r1ie

The Limey Bastard
Reaction score
I thought I mentioned it. My car is mostly for street cruising and I might track a couple times this year to just have fun. My car has a kb supercharger pushing 480 rwhp and has steeda suspension. I was interested in these for not only the performance aspect but they look better than stock as well. If they aren't that noticeably better than stock on the road then I may pass.

You did mate, in the original post :thumb2:

Mr. WHO

forum member
Reaction score
^You wont notice the difference on the road.

Do what I did. Its more than enough for a few tracks days and firms up the stock system pretty good. Like said before, I dont notice any difference under normal braking only under hard braking, in which 99% happens on the track.

Edit: Dont get me wrong, first chance I get to upgrade I will. I plan to drive the car alot more on the track when I get the chance to.

Last edited:

Grip

Fast Addict
Reaction score
I'll take that as a no :) I would actually just get calipher extentions and go with a blank 13" disk to match the Brembo takeoff's. I want to fill the wheel up a little more and I think the extentions look cool.

In case you intend to do this on the rear (unless I'm reading wrong), you should know the thicker Brembo rotor won't fit inside the stock rear caliper. You could theoretically grind the caliper for clearance and use a thinner pad, but the shortcomings caused by that would make the modification pointless.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In case you intend to do this on the rear (unless I'm reading wrong), you should know the thicker Brembo rotor won't fit inside the stock rear caliper. You could theoretically grind the caliper for clearance and use a thinner pad, but the shortcomings caused by that would make the modification pointless.

Thanks for the info. I decided to just paint the stock calipher to match for now. I know steeda has the right slotted disc, I bet they could scare up a blank disk, if I decide to go that way.

jaguarking11

Reaction score
I noticed this thread in the back. Not sure if its dead or not. But I also had an 07 that I did the gt500brake setup (1100$) at the time from late model restoration. Included everything but fluid.

I have to say it was the best upgrade I could have ever done. The stock 07 brakes I had I warped all 4 rotors, the rears wore at a very alarming rate as well. I drove the car to hell and back. When I bought my 2012 the brembo package was my only priority, anything else was a bonus. The only thing I would change on 2012 brakes is add the goodridge lines to it. I don't care what anyone says, the stainless braided lines definitely make a huge difference, at least they did for me.

silverstangz

forum member
Reaction score
I have these that were on the car when I bought it {used} they work great, but now I'm needing new pads and a
redROUSH2001-1.jpg

m not sure if I order pads as if they are OEM calipers , any thoughts ????

DRock

Reaction score
that looks like the Baer kit that uses the corvette C5 front calipers i believe but dont quote me on that.....

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
800 bucks for a complete front kit I think is pretty good. I just upgraded with the brembo gt500 kit from TPSmotorsports. Front calipers, slotted/dimpled rotors front & rear, SS brake lines front & rear, hawk brake pads all all around and 3 bottles of dot 5 brake fluid. Total cost shipped was 1470.
However the transaction was a little frustrating due to each set of parts were shipped separately. And the rotors took almost 3 weeks to arrive. But they are very nice and work very well. A bit noisy for street driving (pads) IMO. But not unbearable, I don't dd it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone from the driver's seat of my cam'd 05 GT!!

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Just picked up a set of Wilwood brakes for the front and back. Up front is 6 piston 14" rotors and the rear is 4 piston 13" rotors.

The back looks pretty bad ass. I still have the front to install this weekend and get the car on the ground and try them out.

Rear:

IMG_20120610_155813.jpg

IMG_20120610_155826.jpg

Front:

IMG_20120611_192620.jpg

IMG_20120611_192419.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back