Broken MT82 PICS..

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Just depends on what you want.. When this thing shifts properly, it's very fun to drive. But, there are issues.. I would wait a while if you're going to get one. See if Ford irons out the bugs. The automatic is fast, but, it's not as fun as rowing through the gears, IMO.

Travis

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
Just depends on what you want.. When this thing shifts properly, it's very fun to drive. But, there are issues.. I would wait a while if you're going to get one. See if Ford irons out the bugs. The automatic is fast, but, it's not as fun as rowing through the gears, IMO.

Travis

I wanted a 6 speed also, that's why I bought an Auto...

:beerchug2:

Ive had two mustangs, both autos. I want a manual in the next one, autos were great but I want to enjoy it this time around!

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
So lets get a count, who all in this thread with a 2011 mustang with the MT82 has had transmission problems?

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Trans still working great.. Just a tiny bit of whine, but, nothing out of the ordinary. Still taking it easy for now. I haven't really rowed through the gears. I wanted to take it easy for a couple hundred miles to make sure everything is good.

I think a lot of the problem with this thing isn't the trans.. but more to do with the clutch and that funky throw out bearing design. I don't think it's allowing the clutch to fully disengage.

Travis

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
Trans still working great.. Just a tiny bit of whine, but, nothing out of the ordinary. Still taking it easy for now. I haven't really rowed through the gears. I wanted to take it easy for a couple hundred miles to make sure everything is good.

I think a lot of the problem with this thing isn't the trans.. but more to do with the clutch and that funky throw out bearing design. I don't think it's allowing the clutch to fully disengage.

Travis
seems like more and more vehicles are going to that design. changing a slave cylinder used to be a 30 min job, now its at least a 2 hour job depending on the vehicle

I dont like it at all

gtmiller1001

forum member
Reaction score
I've had shifting issues. Clutch was replaced, fluid changed (by dealer).

Shifts better than before, but not as good as when I took delivery.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
seems like more and more vehicles are going to that design. changing a slave cylinder used to be a 30 min job, now its at least a 2 hour job depending on the vehicle

I dont like it at all

Exactly.. Nissan has had the same problem, using the same design.

Why not just keep the tried and true leve/pivot ball, with a hydraulic slave cylinder mounted outside the trans? Hell, give me back my old clutch cable if you can't figure this shit out! ;)

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
Exactly.. Nissan has had the same problem, using the same design.

Why not just keep the tried and true leve/pivot ball, with a hydraulic slave cylinder mounted outside the trans? Hell, give me back my old clutch cable if you can't figure this shit out! ;)
i think every manual should have a cable clutch option

FlyByNight

Banned
Reaction score
Have to agree, internal (hydraulic) slave was a bad plan.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

forum member
Reaction score
first and foremost pull the helper spring off the clutch pedal assembly... ever since doing that ive had zero issues with mine except with cold or freezing

but im really beginning to think that ford should eat the cost and put in the gt500 transmissions for all of us 6 speeds

Last edited:

gtmiller1001

forum member
Reaction score
first and foremost pull the helper spring off the clutch pedal assembly... ever since doing that ive had zero issues with mine except with cold or freezing

but im really beginning to think that ford should eat the cost and put in the gt500 transmissions for all of us 6 speeds

forgive the newb question but what does removing the helper spring do?

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
+1 ?? I figure the helper spring would be beneficial if anything, in regards to preventing the clutch from hanging up.

Anyway, I did the first full power/burnout/launch, and rowed through the gears tonight. I have about 500 miles on the new trans so far. It performed flawlessly.. Easy shifting, and perfect engagement. I took it out into some twisties, and ran it hard for about 20 minutes. It never once grinded, or gave me any problems going into gear. It's like a totally different gearbox from when I first bought the car.

My LCA's and relocation brackets should be in tomorrow. I'm hoping they come in, so I can make a track event Saturday night. I'm anxious to see if this stuff will get rid of the aweful wheel hop that I've experienced on drag radials.

Travis

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
+1 ?? I figure the helper spring would be beneficial if anything, in regards to preventing the clutch from hanging up.

Anyway, I did the first full power/burnout/launch, and rowed through the gears tonight. I have about 500 miles on the new trans so far. It performed flawlessly.. Easy shifting, and perfect engagement. I took it out into some twisties, and ran it hard for about 20 minutes. It never once grinded, or gave me any problems going into gear. It's like a totally different gearbox from when I first bought the car.

My LCA's and relocation brackets should be in tomorrow. I'm hoping they come in, so I can make a track event Saturday night. I'm anxious to see if this stuff will get rid of the aweful wheel hop that I've experienced on drag radials.

Travis

Good news! :thumb2:

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Just a little update..

The trans is still very quiet.. Just an ever so SLIGHT whine, which was present after I picked it up. I would say that this is normal, and it has not changed at all over the past 1500 miles.

Going into 1st, and shifting from 1st/2nd can be just a little bit notchy when the trans is cold. However, I would say that this is pretty normal. It's not bothersome, and it goes away when warmed up.

I do have another issue, which is the rear end. The Ford/Lincoln technician that installed my OEM Ford 3.73 gears did a piss poor job. I have tons of noise back there.. from whining, to groaning when cold and going around turns. It also clatters and makes a hell of a racket from time to time. There's way too much slack between the pinion and the ring gear. I'm not sure if the pinion depth is off, or the ring gear isn't properly shimmed to make the correct contact. Or, it could be that the guy didn't tighten the pinion nut enough to properly crush the sleeve.

Either way, it's making horrible noise, and will have to be torn down. I think the pinion bearing is toast, and I'm sure that the ring/pinion will have to be replaced due to an abnormal wear pattern. I'm not taking it back to this jerk off, so I'll have to pay another shop to do the work.. AGAIN..

Sad.. I bought this car with the 3.31 gear, because I couldn't find a 3.73 car in the color I wanted with the options we needed. The idea was to get the car, and just put the OEM 3.73 Ford gear in, by one of thier techs, so that it wouldn't mess with the warranty. :(

I found a video of a guy that's having the same problems that I had with his trans making noise.. This is the EXACT same noise mine made. If you notice at the very end, when he shifts into 5th, the noise is GONE. Exactly the same as mine.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back