Broken MT82 PICS..

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
So, anyway..

I'm going to put the car up on the rack today and see where the leak is coming from. It looks like it's not leaking nearly as much as it did the first night that I had it. So, hopefully, they just overfilled the case, and it's leaking out of the vent. Or, if it's an output shaft seal that's leaking, I can just fix that without having to bring it back and wait weeks for it to get fixed again. Either way.. I'll see what's up this evening when my wife gets home from work.

The trans continues to shift great.. It feels like it's getting smoother each day. I took it to town last night, and you can literally shift it with one finger. It's nice to be able to enjoy the car again. It has warmed up here a good bit (60's), so, I'm not sure how much of that goes into play. I know one thing.. This fluid (QS), at this temperature is perfect.

Travis

Last edited:

waketek516

Pedal to the Metal!
Reaction score
So, anyway..

I'm going to put the car up on the rack today and see where the leak is coming from. It looks like it's not leaking nearly as much as it did the first night that I had it. So, hopefully, they just overfilled the case, and it's leaking out of the vent. Or, if it's an output shaft seal that's leaking, I can just fix that without having to bring it back and wait weeks for it to get fixed again. Either way.. I'll see what's up this evening when my wife gets home from work.

The trans continues to shift great.. It feels like it's getting smoother each day. I took it to town last night, and you can literally shift it with one finger. It's nice to be able to enjoy the car again. It has warmed up here a good bit (60's), so, I'm not sure how much of that goes into play. I know one thing.. This fluid (QS), at this temperature is perfect.

Travis

Just read all 10-pages of this...

Travis - Glad to hear that its finally shifting the way it should! Now you just gotta figure out the leak. I'll be curious to see what caused it. Hopefully this gives everyone with the MT82 a heads up to address this issue asap!

pdmusgt - Give it a rest. This was an pretty informative thread till you cluttered it up with your crap. Noobs who act like you don't last long here. I've already given one of the admins a heads up to clean this thread up for Travis since 99.9% of the stuff you posted did nothing to help this TECH thread. Regardless of the guys background, job, or marital status - his tranny broke, and the dealer/ford jerked him around for a month.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Well, let's get it back on track.. ;)

Here's a few pics of some of the damaged parts that the tech found..

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

He also said that some of the bearings felt like they had excessive play in them.. He said that these parts, as well as the bearings are what contributed to the whining noise.

Travis

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thread cleaned up.

This board has few rules. One of the cardinal rules is not to fuck up the tech threads.

I am going to say this once. If there is any further BULLSHIT posted in this thread, your post will be removed and you will be PINKED.

I hope that this is clear to all. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Swoope

Reaction score
Thread cleaned up.

This board has few rules. One of the cardinal rules is not to fuck up the tech threads.

I am going to say this once. If there is any further BULLSHIT posted in this thread, your post will be removed and you will be PINKED.

been lurking here for about 3 months. long time rx8 forum poster.

that is the best thread clean up i have ever seen! this place seems to get it.. not so troll friendly.

travis. hope it is just an overfill, and thanks for all the info..

beers :beer:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
So, anyway..

Travis

That would be great. The sooner this becomes a memory the better.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
I put it up on the rack this evening.. I couldn't see any leakage.. I think it might just be a case of overfill. I'll continue to monitor it, but, I don't see any leakage.

Travis

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Thread cleaned up.

Thanks man.. I'm sorry if I got a little out of hand responding to that BS. I had a rough week, and his comments set me off. I should have been the bigger man and let it go. It won't happen again.

Travis

FlyByNight

Banned
Reaction score
Shifting has always been a little notchy, but, not as bad as what others seem to be experiencing.

I have NOT had any clutch issues..

7.jpg

Broken throw out bearing. Was "clicking" and making a little noise..
This is what I'm not understanding Travis, maybe you can help me. You said the throwout bearing was broken, I can't really tell by looking at the picture, but would this not be a probable cause for the damaged syncro? What do you think caused the throwout bearing to go bad?

Last edited:

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
It was loose, and had a ton on end play. I'm not sure if this caused the damage to the trans, but, I'd say it's highly unlikely.

FlyByNight

Banned
Reaction score
It was loose, and had a ton on end play. I'm not sure if this caused the damage to the trans, but, I'd say it's highly unlikely.
Well, I'm glad your problems finally seem to be resolved and wish you the best of luck with your new Mustang.

Reaction score
I saw your post on another forum and they did in fact fill the transmission with the alternate fluid(QS)?

I wonder if i will incur any warranty issues draining and filling my trans with this fluid, and i wonder if there will be irreparable existing damage and i should just wait for a TSB or "fix".

Whocares05050

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for everything you are doing OP for going through this bullshit with ford. Some dont realize that the quicker they figure out the issues the better it will be for all of us. Some just prefer to blame the end user. I know your frustrations. My flywheel bolts backed out after only 3 weeks owning my car. Im hoping to not have anymore issues, but if i do, i appreciate all the things they are finding with yours.

Hang in there.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Yeah, it's frustrating, but, it was kinda cool to go inside this gearbox, and be one of the first people with pics/info. All in all, that's what these forums are all about.. There's power in numbers, that's for sure. The internet is a great tool for leveling the playing field when it comes to addressing these sorts of issue.

So far, the trans still shifts great.. I haven't grinded a gear once, and it feels smooth as butter. I have noted that there is a tad bit of transmission whine once again.. However, it's not NEARLY as bad as it was before, and I'd say that this is acceptable, as long as it doesn't get any worse.

I'm starting to wonder if this synchro damage has something to do with the clutch not fully disengaging when pressed in, and making a shift?

Travis

sccapri

Reaction score
Just picked mine up from getting my trans put in and it whines alittle too 1-4. not bad either but you can here it.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Yeah.. it's not nearly as bad as it was before the rebuild.. Hopefully, it stays this way.. I can live with a little noise.

markm7790

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Bitch at Ford about that one, I just fix them.

Then, with all due respect.. keep doing just that. Let the engineers decide otherwise..

I have never abused this car.. neither has my wife. There's a possibility that it was beat on before we bought it, because it did have some mileage on it. However, after looking at all of the parts, it looks like poor assembly, or defective parts. This is my assesment, and the tech/dealer's assesment as well.

Travis

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
So has this made you regret getting the 6SPD M? I am looking for 2011 and all these people with trans issues is making me leary of wanting to get the MT82. But i really want the 6 speed

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back