Can someone school me on my 09's build date verses delivery date?

2009 Deluxe GT

Reaction score
So I bought my 09' GT brand new on April 4th or so in 2009. It had 7 miles on the OD when I test drove it. Not long ago I noticed on the door tag that it shows it's build date of May 08'. I thought it was odd that it only got 7 miles on it in 11 months. So I'm going through my file on the Mustang and I look at the local Ford dealers invoice from a few years ago when I had the airbags replaced under warranty. It shows the original delivery date on my car as January 1st 2009.

Car built in May 08' gets delivered to the dealer I bought it from on January 1st 09'. Where was it sitting for 7 months? Another dealer that couldn't sell it? The Flat Rock plant?

Another interesting point, when I bought the car it had 12 miles on the OD (test drove it 5 miles I guess) yet the dealer put on the title and other paperwork that it had 57 miles. I even pointed it out then but they shrugged it off and left it that way. Anybody familiar with why a dealer would do that?

Bullitt2954

Reaction score
It was sitting in a lot at the Assembly Plant. All ‘09 MY Mustangs were built in ‘08 (scheduled Job 2, I was once told) - I don’t recall the exact reason, but IIRC it was something to do with a Planned Upgrade or Changeover. Others here can probably expound upon that far better than I.

As to the Dealer paperwork, I got Nothin.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
agree with above, my 09 was also made in May 08. They had to change tooling for the revised 10-12 body style so 09’s were pushed through early. Your dealer didn’t get it until Jan it was chilling around Flat Rock at a loading lot.

the mileage thing is just a straight type. They don’t want to go the other way, have the MSO say less than the car has, that could be fraud. But 57 is a bit high

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I bought my 2010 GT at the dealership in July of 2009. They had 09s and 10s on the same lot and it was easy to tell them apart. Makes sense they start building them ahead of the new year.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
My '06 GT was built in Nov '05 and delivered to the stealership in Mar '06. Would mine be considered an early '06, late '06, or about midway in that model year?

RedGt

Reaction score
Same here 2006 Gt. Build date nov 05 and delivered april 06.

RedGT

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back