Catch can vs vent to atmo

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
once you disconnect the rubber line from your intake to the driver side pcv fitting you loose the vacuum that operates the check valve in the driver side valve cover.That side doesn't vent anything without vacuum applied, or you can remove valve cover and cut out check valve from underneath. That is why the passenger side vent gets dirty and the driver side doesn't. American muscle has a nice simple $20 Ford Racing vent that works on the oil fill tube that used with the passenger side vent provides adequate venting. IMO that little vent on the passenger side by itself isn't big enough without vacuum

Ford racing part#M-6766-J302 AM doesn't sell it anymore but its still available

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What up wake forest nc, thats where Im from. ;)

The driver side will still vent on a boosted car when there is pressure to push past, its a simple valve. It wont really open on an na car unless there was enough pressure to push it open. In which case the other side is usually adequate.

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
I noticed that when I looked it up this morning from when Jeremy said they sold that. It goes back to what Badd GT said, one you disconnect it from the intake, no vacuum to pull the valve open to allow for venting full time, so might as well cap it off and just use the fill cap breather. Kind of makes sense.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Would be kind of odd to try and promote/advertise an oil cap breather with "other" breathers on the other locations in the picture on the add lol

Also if you read the description they are running an odd setup with vaccum still applied on the driver side so you would suck in unmetered air with an open style breather on that side on a draw through na setup.

I get ventilation from all 3 of my breathers, I let it find the path of least restriction I wouldnt reccommend to someone to just run the oil neck and cap the others although it could be done. If your boosted and blow thru I reccommend running it all closed or all open.

The check valve, more of a flow valve, is only on the drivers side on the 3v, for the passenger side there is no valve. Not sure for the coyote.

Last edited:

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
Would be kind of odd to promote an oil cap breather with other breathers on the other locations lol

makes sense as well lol. could be either or, or possibly both reasons. I can see it from their side to promoting their product, but I can also see why you would want to just use the breather cap only on that side too.

But! if you're going to do two, you might as well do all three, for like you said, path of least resistance.

OneQwkStang

Improving the Breed
Reaction score
Anyone know if extending your pvc lines can cause issues? I want to run lines to catch cans mounted on the frame inside wheel wheel area?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if extending your pvc lines can cause issues? I want to run lines to catch cans mounted on the frame inside wheel wheel area?

Its been done many times, As long its non-collapsing hose. My first setup was longer hoses running to breathers out of the engine bay. But after getting no oil dripping, I just moved them back to the covers and got rid of all that extra hose.

OneQwkStang

Improving the Breed
Reaction score
Its been done many times, As long its non-collapsing hose. My first setup was longer hoses running to breathers out of the engine bay. But after getting no oil dripping, I just moved them back to the covers and got rid of all that extra hose.
Yah for sure would use non collapse hoses. I have the catch 42 catch cans and they are fairly big. Want to hide then and just have couple extra hoses showing.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So, I've heard rumors that on some tunes, the addition of catch cans can cause mild spark knock or pinging, which is why I haven't done this yet. That makes zero sense to me, though, since oil in the intake lowers the effective octane of the air/fuel mixture.

Does anyone know anything about this? I'm running the FRPP tune, FWIW.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So, I've heard rumors that on some tunes, the addition of catch cans can cause mild spark knock or pinging, which is why I haven't done this yet. That makes zero sense to me, though, since oil in the intake lowers the effective octane of the air/fuel mixture.

I have heard these rumors as well, I have seen alot of different setups out there over the years and the only time I could see it being legit is if your loosing metered air or sucking in unmetered air due to a poor setup or vac leak etc.

Last edited:

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I wonder why the op started this thread?

Two pages of good discussion later...

I wanted to know if I should invest in another catch can, because the first can I bought sucks dick to empty, or if I should just buy some breathers.

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score

I wanted to know if I should invest in another catch can, because the first can I bought sucks dick to empty, or if I should just buy some breathers.

Well If you can securely cap off the intake from unmetered air I say run breathers! its what I plan to do, for now at least.

Jeremy that's what I'm worried about most. The unmetered air, all we should have to worry about is both intake tubes when going to the breather set up to minimize unmetered air correct?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Correct get a good vac plug for the other side, you can get them at autoparts stores. I ran a vac plug with a clamp.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Well my car while NA with the jlt catch can on the drivers side I would always get oil in it, but I never put a catch can on the passenger side and I checked the line frequently and never saw a drop of oil, FI could be a different story.

..it is F/I that I am interested in..
For n/a, sure, a catch can on driver side is the way to go!

If you have pcv working then the motor draws air from the passenger side and exits from the drivers side. It works this was na or fi. When you go to breathers it no longer works like this because there isn't any vacuum sucking on the drivers side. My experience was a soaked passenger side line and breather during my breathers experiment. It didn't take long either.

There are some interesting setups out there that keep vacuum on the motor and vent. Paul oneyedwillie has a custom setup and Earl the pilot has another unique system.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score

What we've found in our testing is that the farther away you mount the cans, the more they catch, presumably because the greater temperature differential causes more condensation.

It's actually the opposite. The oil vapor lowers the effective octane of the air/fuel mix, so the cans can resolve mild knock.

OneQwkStang

Improving the Breed
Reaction score
What we've found in our testing is that the farther away you mount the cans, the more they catch, presumably because the greater temperature differential causes more condensation.

It's actually the opposite. The oil vapor lowers the effective octane of the air/fuel mix, so the cans can resolve mild knock.
Thanks...i would think the further away the less likely oil will get drawn back up the lines.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I had my neon vented, and I keep seeing people run cans on these cars, why? They suck, and you still get oil in the intake.

Why didn't you just state that your catch can was a hassle?

What kind of can do you have? Even with two cans mounted in series there will still be some oil vapor making it to the intake. Most will be removed but never all of it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back