catch cans and emissions inspections

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
For quite a while now I've been running breathers. Left the check valve in and never removed it. Also have a cfm oil cap breather with a check ball inside.

I may need to pass emissions (OBD2 only) in NV next year and on the off hand chance they poke around under hood am thinking about going to a catch can setup with the oem filler cap back on.

I am assuming since that type of setup is not vented to atmosphere it shouldn't be a problem. Is that accurate?

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Depending on your state, here in NJ at longest there is no CEL, once car is scanned your passed

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
For quite a while now I've been running breathers. Left the check valve in and never removed it. Also have a cfm oil cap breather with a check ball inside.

I may need to pass emissions (OBD2 only) in NV next year and on the off hand chance they poke around under hood am thinking about going to a catch can setup with the oem filler cap back on.

I am assuming since that type of setup is not vented to atmosphere it shouldn't be a problem. Is that accurate?

I also run a cfm oil cap breather with one way check ball valve, UPR 4 chamber catch can also with an inline one way check valve, all with the factory PCV system fully intact..

As long as your not pulling up any CEL's, you should pass emissions with no problem.. Of course you could always reconnect your factory PCV system without the breathers and reinstall your factory oil cap just long enough to pass emissions and then afterwards put your breathers and cfm oil cap breather back in.. At any rate, I wouldn't go through the trouble of switching over to a catch can setup just in order to pass emissions every one to two years, especially if you like your breather setup.. Anyway just my opinion :shrug:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
The lower intake for the supercharger has a connection that I have capped off right now. It would be a real pita to reach if I wanted to hook the roush "stock" pcv setup back up so not a great option.

What I got was kind of an impulse buy and really overkill as a stop gap in case of inspection.
https://juggernautpower.com/store/index.php?id_product=141&controller=product

So either going to get away from the breathers completely or sell the separator and get something cheaper for inspection only.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
If you already have the catch can which appears you have from the image you posted, I would just use it whenever you need to for emissions and then reinstall your breather setup afterwards.. The UPR 4 chamber catch can I've been using has worked great for nearly 2 years since purchasing it..

It also has an inline one way check valve that prevents crankcase oil vapors from getting past the PCV barb at the intake manifold of my Saleen blower and I also use the cfm oil cap breather to vent the crankcase when PCV vacuum at the intake manifold closes during WOT and while under boost for added insurance protection..

Both the UPR 4 chamber catch can and cfm oil cap breather are designed to keep crankcase oil vapors from getting into the intake manifold and combustion chamber with the factory PCV system fully intact..

Needless to say I've been fully satisfied for nearly the last 2 years and have not been disappointed in the least bit :waytogo:

07 Boss

Reaction score

Depending on where you are going to live in NV you may not have to do smog. I live in Vegas and have to do smog. I've had breathers on my car for 10 years now, won't be an issue.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Reno area. If I'm able to maintain my current job and work remotely for the company then we may lean towards Carson City. In CC you don't have to smog check.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Reno area. If I'm able to maintain my current job and work remotely for the company then we may lean towards Carson City. In CC you don't have to smog check.

Either way it's just them plugging into your OBD port, no visual.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Yah I'm probably just being paranoid about it. I'm coming from out of state. If we need to pass smog once that is done I still have to swing by the DMV and get a vehicle inspection done there.

Most likely shouldn't be a problem. Never know though might end up with someone being nosy about it especially when they see my gauge setup, etc..

Probably best to just do as 06 Red suggested earlier and hold onto the catch can I have as insurance in the unlikely event I get hassled about it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back