Cheap Alternative to Interior Ambient Lighting

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll start off saying that this is definately not for everyone. It's something only a few will appreciate, but I've always wanted to do this.

I really like the mood lighting you can get out of LEDs, and after seeing the pics of the '08+ option for Ambient Lighting, I had to make a LED kit for my ride.

Since I have the MyColor option and NEXUS gauges, it was a given that I'd have to make multiple colors. Since I always run with the gauges blue and sometimes red, I decided those were the colors I'd use for the harness.

I got my LEDs here http://www.oznium.com/prewired-superflux and they had fast shipping and had no issues. Really inexpensive too.

I am running 10 red and 10 blue LEDs. 2 of each color under each side of the dash, 2 of each color along each door sill, and 1 of each color on each side of the back seat. This way I am illuminating the floor in front of the driver and passenger as well as the floor in the back seat. I've left spots to easily tap into on my harness to add more LEDs under the hood and in the trunk.

Here's an extremely rough sketch of how I ran the harness and where the LEDs lie...

LEDHarnessRoughSketch.jpg

I am using my Speed of Sound Switch Panel to activate the LEDs. I ran the red LEDs to one switch and the blue LEDs to another switch. This way I can have each light on it's own or I can have both on at the same time to make a purplish white hue.

Here are some pics...(I apologize in advance because the pics are pretty bad, but I haven't been able to get good pics)

DSCF0830.jpg

DSCF0831.jpg

DSCF0835.jpg

DSCF0838.jpg

DSCF0843.jpg

DSCF0844.jpg

DSCF0845.jpg

DSCF0846.jpg

DSCF0847.jpg

DSCF0848.jpg

DSCF0849.jpg

DSCF0850.jpg

DSCF0852.jpg

DSCF0853.jpg

DSCF0855.jpg

DSCF0858.jpg

DSCF0861.jpg

DSCF0869.jpg

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Pretty cool...I like how well they blend for a nice purple...

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
If Donna sees this, she's gonna want me to put the blue in my car. Hell, she wants me to put underlighting on my tool box. :shock:

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks cool Nick! I just ordered some myself. In the rare color of green.

Last edited:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry man....
:tdown::gay:

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry man....
:tdown::gay:

Like I said, it's not for everyone. It's much cheaper than the $200 retrofit for the Ford Version, and this way I can change colors with my gauges.

It's not as bright as it shows up in some of the pictures.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I can appreciate the look, however it's not my taste....

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I like the red..... need to do that on mine. I would like to do it with a fader though, to adjust the brightness :)

AND THEY HAVE BLACKLIGHT!!! aweseom!!

Last edited:

Clay

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I like the way it looks in your car, you did it very tastefully, but I've just seen too many ricers with underglow and interior glow that I can't stop associating lighting with ricer.

Either way, really great work man, it does look fantastic =)

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I like the red..... need to do that on mine. I would like to do it with a fader though, to adjust the brightness :)

AND THEY HAVE BLACKLIGHT!!! aweseom!!

I don't think you can get an LED to fade. I may be wrong, but I think they are pretty much ON/OFF.

I like the way it looks in your car, you did it very tastefully, but I've just seen too many ricers with underglow and interior glow that I can't stop associating lighting with ricer.

Either way, really great work man, it does look fantastic =)

I'd never put any kind of underglow kit or wheel well lighting, but I agree with you that this setp-up is still tasteful and not too dramatic. In all honesty, the blue is pretty bright, but the red really gives off a nice red glow.

nmeofdst82

STY RMY
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fading is possible..just not sure how

I have the Center Dome lights replaced with Blacklight LEDs, looks pretty frickin cool at night.

When they go off, they fade down and out like the stock bulbs did. However that module in the dome light assembly does it, it works to fade them.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Looks pretty sweet man! You did a damn nice job!:bigbeer:

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Got all my lights yesterday, packaged well and look like they are very high quality! Thanks for the link to these!

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
anyone think about doing white? I may do it in white lights. I have mycolor option but I don't know... I must be too old for "mood lighting" in the rest of the car.

Back