cheap....

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
My personal philosophy: "Buy once, Cry once." Yeah, you cry a little when you write the stupidly gigantic check, but you only do it once. If you're looking to buy track wheels, go at it backwards. How big do they need to be? 18x10? 18x9.5? Do they need to clear a BBK in the future? What is the MAXIMUM weight that I'll be willing to accept? 17lbs? 19lbs? 21lbs? Once you answer those questions, it's just a matter of finding the wheels that meet all the criteria, and then figuring out how to make it happen financially.

DON'T BE LIKE ME!!! I currently have FIVE sets of wheels for my car... Two sets of 5zigen FN01R-C (18x9.5) for the street and race rubber, then a set of Liquid Metal Static wheels that used to be my street wheels (18x9.5) but won't clear the Brembos, a set of 2000 Cobra Rs loaded with Dunlop Wintersport snow tires (yeah, THAT was brilliant!), and finally the stock Bullitts, one with a set of 275/50-17 drag radials, that have seen action twice.

Don't be impatient, pick out what you WANT, and then buy them. If you focus too much on cost, you'll wind up with stacks of used bits that you can't get rid of. If the ones you want are just simply unaffordable at the moment, and you REALLY need wheels, then buy the cheapest pieces of crap you can get your hands on, and plan on throwing them away when you do get the ones you want.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My personal philosophy: "Buy once, Cry once." Yeah, you cry a little when you write the stupidly gigantic check, but you only do it once. If you're looking to buy track wheels, go at it backwards. How big do they need to be? 18x10? 18x9.5? Do they need to clear a BBK in the future? What is the MAXIMUM weight that I'll be willing to accept? 17lbs? 19lbs? 21lbs? Once you answer those questions, it's just a matter of finding the wheels that meet all the criteria, and then figuring out how to make it happen financially.

DON'T BE LIKE ME!!! I currently have FIVE sets of wheels for my car... Two sets of 5zigen FN01R-C (18x9.5) for the street and race rubber, then a set of Liquid Metal Static wheels that used to be my street wheels (18x9.5) but won't clear the Brembos, a set of 2000 Cobra Rs loaded with Dunlop Wintersport snow tires (yeah, THAT was brilliant!), and finally the stock Bullitts, one with a set of 275/50-17 drag radials, that have seen action twice.

Don't be impatient, pick out what you WANT, and then buy them. If you focus too much on cost, you'll wind up with stacks of used bits that you can't get rid of. If the ones you want are just simply unaffordable at the moment, and you REALLY need wheels, then buy the cheapest pieces of crap you can get your hands on, and plan on throwing them away when you do get the ones you want.

+ Don't be a statistic!
This public service announcement brought to you by SoundGuyDave

lol. But in all seriousness, I would take all that to heart. I flatspotted my good tires at a track day and then hastily bought the best 17in street rubber I could get locally in two days..used them for two days..and then bought bigger rims and tires. And now it looks like I'm buying even more rims and tires from a person that has decided to go another route. Thousands of dollars flushed down the toilet between the three of us.

My suggestions are:
1. Be patient and find a good set of good wheels/tires used.
2. Nut up and possibly put yourself in some debt by purchasing some nice wheels if you seriously think that 4-6lbs of weight per wheel is what's really holding you back.
3. Buy Dave's cobra wheels and put some good rubber on them.

I don't know how much money you have ready, but to give you a little perspective: My steeda pentars aren't exactly light, but I was putting down some REALLY good times with them. I'm not suggesting pentars, just saying to not get too obsessive about which wheels you get. So I vote opiton 3 or something along those lines.

Last edited:

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score

well i know as of like 5 mins ago that i want 18x10 all around with a +40 off set

at the moment i was thinking some thing like this http://www.americanmuscle.com/18x10-gt4-0509-hyper.html

weight realy doesn't bother me at all im not trying to be the best and the class im in for autox because of my DS keeps me from being competitive at any thing past a regional level. i just want some serious tire and to have fun going faster. i dont think i will be using the tires on track days yet because i dont want to afford it but i can deal with the price for autox and int he future i will probably take them to a track.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Nice looking wheels! Before you plunk down the credit card, give AM a call, and ask them what the weight is, though. IIRC, those are around 28-30lbs.... Not saying that's a deal breaker for you, but I just want you to make a fully informed decision.

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
Nice looking wheels! Before you plunk down the credit card, give AM a call, and ask them what the weight is, though. IIRC, those are around 28-30lbs.... Not saying that's a deal breaker for you, but I just want you to make a fully informed decision.

yah i hate that im going to like my track rims more than my DD rims

my biggest problem with rims is that i dont know where to look

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
A mounted set of 295/30-18 Hoosier's on both 18x9.5" Pentar and 18x10 Ultralites are 49 pounds. The tire is 25 or so according to Hoosier and on my shipping scale.

Are those the lightest wheels ever? No, but I have two sets of 17x11's for my Camaro, one Forgeline RS, one CCW Classic, and each weighs 21 a wheel. Those are forged center wheels with spun aluminum halves.

If you want to look at some of the Steeda wheels, I can do a little better pricing wise on full sets of 4 than what I have on the website... I also have other wheels from other companies we can discuss (but they are not on the website).

Stangmeister9

The Member
Reaction score
pieper, why dont you look for a set of oem gt500 takeoffs. that is what i run on mine at Cameron. they are a little on the heavy side, but they are a perfect fit for oem calipers and BBK if ever u change your mind. and they are strong as hell! hell if the price is right i might sell mine. oh yeah the size 18x9.5 all four!

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
pieper, why dont you look for a set of oem gt500 takeoffs. that is what i run on mine at Cameron. they are a little on the heavy side, but they are a perfect fit for oem calipers and BBK if ever u change your mind. and they are strong as hell! hell if the price is right i might sell mine. oh yeah the size 18x9.5 all four!
What is a reasonable price on used ones? I was just looking at this option.

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score

that was my original plan but then i jsut kinda went crazy i thought rims were a staged set up i also looked around for a set and they were in the 900 range and for that price i was going to just get new rims i liked

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
I just paid $940 shipped for a set of 4 rear takeoffs on eBay..they were "B" condition wheels but they look fine unless you're going over them with a magnifying glass. If you can deal with the weight and looks, you can't go wrong for that price. Used wheels alone seem to generally go for $500-600; or at least that's what they get listed at.

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
I just paid $940 shipped for a set of 4 rear takeoffs on eBay..they were "B" condition wheels but they look fine unless you're going over them with a magnifying glass. If you can deal with the weight and looks, you can't go wrong for that price. Used wheels alone seem to generally go for $500-600; or at least that's what they get listed at.

why did you get 4 rear take offs

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
A few things...

1) The GT500 wheels are all 18x9.5, with a +45mm offset, only the tires are staggered (255/45-18 front, 285/40-18 rear, spare is a can of fix-a-flat...)

2) Grip has little to do with just pure "numerical width" as published by the manufacturer: My Hoosier 275/35-18 tires are actually WIDER than my old 285/40-10 Nitto 555s.

3) Compound has a MUCH larger impact on net tire grip than pure width. A sticky 275 will kick the snot out of a high-mile 295 or 315 tire, all other things being equal. The FR500S runs a 255 tire... (BFG R1)

4) In the quest for grip, I've come to the conclusion that it's the full combination, and not any specific part that makes or breaks the car's ability to grip. Yes, width helps, but so does compound, tread-block depth, damper and spring ability to keep the tire planted, and swaybar rate.

In the end, a 275 width tire, with a decent compound and tread design (not talking slicks or DOTs here) will be more than sufficient to allow the car to plant in a corner, assuming reasonable HP. From there, it's up to the dampers, springs, and bars to keep those 10-1/2" meats on the ground, and not flopping around. Having steamrollers (the elusive 725mm tire!) won't help if you're lifting a tire off the ground in the corner! Also, think about all the discussion about racing differentials, and how a failing diff can cause the car to oversteer. THAT can't be corrected with tire width!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back