Chinese tranny woes

Reaction score
It was the weirdest thing, dude. I swear if I was 3 feet tall I would have bashed my forehead off of the steering wheel. :lol2: It dove hard, sputtered, then picked back up like nothing happened.

Were you trying to start out in second on a left turn or what? I make plenty of turns in second and never experienced anything like that.

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
This article is about complaints people not being able to shift into 2nd or 3rd or ? gears and noise from the tranny. Only a mention of the "special feature" of the skip shift and the comparason to the Corvette and Camaro with the same "feature". People are having problems with this transmission and the NTHSA is starting a probe into it. I, for one, don't have issues with mine...yet.

L454S

Retired Wrench
Reaction score
M6

Same here, mine just hit 4000mi., shifts great. It is a V6 though without the skip shift.

StangAddict

forum member
Reaction score
Were you trying to start out in second on a left turn or what? I make plenty of turns in second and never experienced anything like that.

Nope. I started it out in 1st, pulled pretty good through the turn (wasn't a sharp turn), and as I straightened out coming out of the turn and put it into 2nd it happened.

F00Mustang

Goes from a dig
Reaction score
"The preliminary evaluation stems from 32 complaints filed with the agency regarding an occasional problem shifting into gear in six and eight-cylinder cars equipped with a 6-speed manual [COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]transmission[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] that is manufactured in China."

Hey Ford - I solved the problem for you. You should give me a free Mustang just for my troubles.
Why do American companies continue to get stuff built in China. They have been sending us lead painted toys and crappy products for years but we still order more.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
all three threads of the exact same content, NHTSA or whatever its called that no one cares about agency, have been merged into this thread. search people. its not hard.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
1295875581685.jpg

jmstang66

Mayhem Mustang Winner
Reaction score
I'll keep an eye out for this. I haven't had any problems thus far, and I've got roughly 4200 miles on my '12 v6. Only complaint I have so far is the 'rpm's hanging' when you push the clutch in to shift.. :(

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tom, didn't you get a new transmission for whatever reason that was lightyears better than the first? Was the issue was fixed for the newer Mustangs?

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score

Damnit. I did a few searches for it too. None of the keywords were used in that thread title though. :ugh1:

Tom, didn't you get a new transmission for whatever reason that was lightyears better than the first? Was the issue was fixed for the newer Mustangs?

Yeah, I got a new trans about 5k miles ago due to hitting rocks and tree stumps a construction truck dropped on the highway as he pulled out in front of me. The second one has been way better than the original one. I can speed shift the hell out of the gears with no issues.

2413.jpg

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Only key word needed 'NHTSA'

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Why does everyone feel the need to bash the fact that it is made in China? Just about everything is made in China now. With the problem being so widespread, it's clearly a design flaw, not (solely) a manufacturing flaw. I'm pretty sure this transmission was designed by someone at Ford in the United States, or by a team of such engineers in the United States.

There are plenty of transmissions out there that are built and even designed in China and they hold up just fine.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's a Gertag/Ford design.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back