Chris' GT Build

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Bob's catch can & axle breather on their way to me, so I should be able to install next weekend. I would have done it this weekend, but someone decided to sit on the order for a week before giving it to UPS.

LOL @ the seats. Yeah....no. I'll be keeping them for a while. I do need to get harnesses though. With the new improved suspension I found that I was holding myself in the seat again. In the middle of a run I'm thinking "crap, I need harnesses now"

You might try a CG Lock first. It may be enough, and it'll probably be a lot cheaper.

Not that harnesses wouldn't be better, mind you.

If you get harnesses, how are you going to mount them? Are you also adding a roll bar?

claudermilk

Reaction score
I probably should do that at least as a stopgap. I did a harness in my Probe GT back when I was running GS competitively & it helped a ton.

I am looking at the Corbeau hanress bar, and eye bolts like what Vorshalg has done. For the sub straps, I'm looking at the Watson piece--cheap enough that fabbing one myself isn't worth messing with. Not putting a roll bar is not optimal, I know, but I need to keep the back seat usable as well.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Small update. I swapped out the OEM rotors & generic temporary pads in the front brakes for the Carbotech 1521 and Centric rotors. All issues resolved. No more odd clunking/vibration from the brakes & a nice, firm pedal and confident stopping. It seems something went sideways on the OEM rotors when they got machined. I'll have a different place take a look and those now become my backups.

The silver lining here is it gave me some practice in getting the front of the car lifted & the pads swapped. #1, my HF "racing" jack fits, so I can lift from the K-member, and #2 now that I've been through these brakes before the pad swap is about the easiest I've done. The Lisle quad-pad spreader tool is a good investment--makes compressing the pistons a breeze & only takes a minute.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Small update. I just got my Bob's Auto Sport oil separator and threw that on the car. Nice clean setup and looks like it belongs there.
i-sFg4BqF-M.jpg

The car spent part of the weekend hardparked. Nice little show & the kids enjoyed looking at cars.
i-LBLjCGV-S.jpg
i-HWxQ4RZ-S.jpg

A couple with it's stablemate. A 351W swap '73 Pinto Runabout.
i-SNjB9kv-S.jpg
i-x9bn8nJ-S.jpg

claudermilk

Reaction score
The Bob's Auto Sport oil separator is installed. Very nice unit & a clean install--it looks like it belongs, almost OEM.
i-sFg4BqF-S.jpg

Their axle reservoir also arrived, and that should get installed this weekend.

Then the car will be basically prepped for more of this:
i-pXQgVc8-S.jpg

I should have more time to play with tuning more. I need to figure out the Koni settings & tire pressures again.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you have the stock engine tune? I've heard oil separators can cause pinging with some tunes. I'm also curious how those lines hold up to full-throttle use. Terry Fair had issues with them "pinching" shut.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Stock tune. I hadn't run across anything about pinging from these. Since I have no immediate plans for a tune, this isn't a big worry to me. At most I may look at the new FRPP Track Cal (M-14204-MGTTC) or a similar mild tune down the road. The car makes plenty of power for me and I'm more interested in carving corners than 1320' times (thus my chosen location for this thread).

I'll find out how well they work. The old unit's lines were pinching, so something needed to be done anyway on that. If I run into issues I'll look at something like Revan's upgrade kit with the AN fittings & Russell Proclassic hose. The valve cover to can line was where I was having an issue, and this new one is so short, I doubt it will have a problem.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Amen! Email tunes are generally fine, assuming mild or no mods, and really wake up the throttle response. Make sure you tell them you want a LINEAR throttle response, and if you're feeling snarky, ask for a bit more dashpot value than stock, to get a tick more engine-braking. Dunno if that works on the 5.0, but it was magic on the 4.6!

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have the stock engine tune? I've heard oil separators can cause pinging with some tunes. I'm also curious how those lines hold up to full-throttle use. Terry Fair had issues with them "pinching" shut.

That's because Terry was pulling vacuum on a check valve

claudermilk

Reaction score
Nope. I did a bit of searching & he put together an elaborate custom setup using a Moroso fed by both side of the engine. I'm just running the typical passenger-only one. I don't anticipate running into the same issue.

You need a tune to get rid of the stock throttle lag.
Amen! Email tunes are generally fine, assuming mild or no mods, and really wake up the throttle response. Make sure you tell them you want a LINEAR throttle response, and if you're feeling snarky, ask for a bit more dashpot value than stock, to get a tick more engine-braking. Dunno if that works on the 5.0, but it was magic on the 4.6!
LOL! Nothing like some peer pressure. A mild tune is on my radar and throttle mapping would be my main reason for it. For now it's way down the wish list though. I have plenty of suspension to play with first. There are a few tuners in my area who are supposed to be quite good, so I have options when I do break down & get that done.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just get the Ford Racing tune and be done with it. Better throttle mapping and response, no low-RPM torque limit, and factory warranty.

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
My warranty is out. Is it worth it to get the ford racing tune or custom. Not a looking for every last bit of power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

claudermilk

Reaction score
Some more minor wrenching this weekend. I got the Bob's Axle Reservoir installed. Nice, simple Saturday morning project. Now no more puking oil at the track.

i-m42Fh52-S.jpg
i-KDqX483-S.jpg

Not really much to see installed & it sure is crowded and cluttered up there for such a stone-age-simple suspension design.
i-bRfPFc6-S.jpg

Obviously, zero performance impact, but this will keep the oil where it belongs. I already had plenty of external lubrication on the driver's side axle tube--I'm probably lucky none got on the tires and caused a pucker moment.

I have noted that the overall suspension sure is working. The back end is a lot more planted; some bumpy corners around home cause a lot less wiggle out back than I am used to. :thumb:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back