Cleaning an oil pan?

t-kid

forum member
Reaction score
So as I mentioned in another thread, I bought a canton pan and it was FULL of bearing material; to the point where it almost looks like silver paint. Several people/shops have told me to clean it out and that it should be fine... but I don't want to fuck a motor over just buying a new pan for $60.

Has anyone had experience cleaning out a pan and not fucking their car up?

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
I cleaned my oil pan once and the valve covers blew off the car. In fact if I was you, I'd replace the oil pan every time you change the oil. Better safe than sorry.

J/K just use some brake cleaner to remove the junk in there, wipe it out, and let it completely dry. You won't have any issues.

t-kid

forum member
Reaction score
I cleaned my oil pan once and the valve covers blew off the car. In fact if I was you, I'd replace the oil pan every time you change the oil. Better safe than sorry.

J/K just use some brake cleaner to remove the junk in there, wipe it out, and let it completely dry. You won't have any issues.

It's an internally baffled canton pan with a trap door setup and removable windage tray... took the tray off but still feel like there could be pieces lurking... it was VERY fine material

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
Just spray it out real good, ensure its clean. Or go waste money on a new one.....your choice

EDIT: I have a friend here who has that pan on his car, he spun a bearing. We dropped the pan and it was full of metal shavings, etc. We cleaned like I mentioned above blew it out with an air compressor, re installed and he has had zero issues.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back