Clunk in the rear going over bumps

Snakebyte94

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know what's going on with my car. I live in N.Y. and you could only gess what the roads are like. I have Steeda LCA, Ultra lite springs, Panhard bar & brace. And Koni shocks. I drive over this road every day for the last 2 years. The last three days when I go over this bump in the road I here a clunk in the rear. Sounds like something is hitting the underbody. I can't figure this out. Maybe something wrong with my control arms.
Help please.

fullsayl

WTFC?
Reaction score
If you have the Steeda Adjustable (i.e. Hemi-Joint) LCA's then it may be those, though it is a little odd that they only clunk after 2 years. Do you have relocation brackets as well? I assume that you have checked the bolts/etc. and made sure that everything is still torqued to spec and all of that applicable jam nuts are still tight.

Matty

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check your suspension bolts. I just fixed a similar problem yesterday where the forward LCA bolt had gotten loose and caused a noise like the one you are describing. I put a new bolt in there and used some RED loc-tite. Bet that bitch won't be doing that again.

But yeah, check your bolts. They can come loose.

Snakebyte94

forum member
Reaction score
If you have the Steeda Adjustable (i.e. Hemi-Joint) LCA's then it may be those, though it is a little odd that they only clunk after 2 years. Do you have relocation brackets as well? I assume that you have checked the bolts/etc. and made sure that everything is still torqued to spec and all of that applicable jam nuts are still tight.

Matty
No I have the billet arms w/Poly bushings. No relocation brackets.
Yea I'm going to take everything out and check it.

Check your suspension bolts. I just fixed a similar problem yesterday where the forward LCA bolt had gotten loose and caused a noise like the one you are describing. I put a new bolt in there and used some RED loc-tite. Bet that bitch won't be doing that again.

But yeah, check your bolts. They can come loose.
OK. I was just about to order the Fays2 watts link. I'm going to wait right now for that.
Thanks gentlemen,
Raymond

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If that doesn't work, check the tops of your Konis. If that nut comes loose, it can cause clunking.

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
Check bolts, and one other thing: exhaust hitting against the panhard bar or something else. I had a loose hanger that was letting the left pipe hit and I'd hear it on bumps all the time.

......and before you by that Fays link, could I interest you in ours? Our is a little more expensive, but if you take a comparison look at construction and features, I think you'll see ours is worth it. :)

Snakebyte94

forum member
Reaction score
Thank everyone for your suggestions. I finally got a nice day to work on my car today after soooo much rain. When my daughter come to me this morning and said that her cars engine is making noise. So I had to check that out. Turn out that she had only 2 Quarts of oil in the car. She has a VW Bettle. I tied to talk her at of buy this car. My car is going into the body shop Monday 5/18 to have a dent fixed that someone was kind enough to do for me in a parking lot. Maybe I'll get to it next weekend.
Thanks guys and or girls.
Raymond

StangPower05

"Pony Up"
Reaction score
exhaust hitting against the panhard bar or something else

x100. I can guarantee its this. Mine has been doing it since i changed the stock exhaust out and it annoys the hell out of me, but i just live with it!

Mylilpony

forum member
Reaction score
my front suspension is starting to make noise (again). I am just going to leave it alone, and hope for the best lol. If shit doesnt fall apart or fall off, than I will just put the radio louder. I'm done fixing shit that isnt broken.....

I live in queens btw. Best of luck to you lol.

FnSweet06

forum member
Reaction score
x100. I can guarantee its this. Mine has been doing it since i changed the stock exhaust out and it annoys the hell out of me, but i just live with it!

Mine was doing the same. put it on the lift and heated up the pipes and made a little adjusments bending the pipe and now it dont do it as offten.

Kaldar142

Reaction score

mine too, i got used to it lol

i try to avoid bumps as much as possible (been driving the same route for a year now lol) or slow down right before them... my axle is hitting the over axle pipes, slightly taps them when i go over a bump at anything over 20mph

StangPower05

"Pony Up"
Reaction score
mine too, i got used to it lol

i try to avoid bumps as much as possible (been driving the same route for a year now lol) or slow down right before them... my axle is hitting the over axle pipes, slightly taps them when i go over a bump at anything over 20mph

same exact thing i get, the axle hitting the over axle!

Snakebyte94

forum member
Reaction score
I finaly got under the car today. I have the GTA exhaust and the two rear hangers on each muffler are broken off. Good thing I already have theGT500 KR mufflers coming.

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I finaly got under the car today. I have the GTA exhaust and the two rear hangers on each muffler are broken off. Good thing I already have theGT500 KR mufflers coming.

Glad you found the problem. You're gotta love the change from the GTA's to KR's!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back