Clutch not disengaging

hunter1022

forum member
Reaction score
Some after market clutches need a shim put in behind the Throw Out Bearing for proper disengagement otherwise you will get that creep with the clutch fully depressed, The distance needs to be checked at install. Ram Clutches makes a Shim kit if you are running an aftermarket clutch might be worth looking into. If you are on the stock clutch sounds as if to me that your Throw Out Bearing is going bad.

NA-Stang

AMC #8 aka "The Jockey"
Reaction score
Some after market clutches need a shim put in behind the Throw Out Bearing for proper disengagement otherwise you will get that creep with the clutch fully depressed, The distance needs to be checked at install. Ram Clutches makes a Shim kit if you are running an aftermarket clutch might be worth looking into. If you are on the stock clutch sounds as if to me that your Throw Out Bearing is going bad.

It is a stock clutch, as far as I know.

But that did cross my mind anyway.

NA-Stang

AMC #8 aka "The Jockey"
Reaction score
Ok, so I replaced the clutch line. Didn't fix my problem.

Now, I have thought of some important info, possibly.

I took the car to the track. Only mods were CAI, Tune, LCA, and LCA relocation brackets. Oh, and the blowfish racing bracket. On Drag Radials.

Car shifted ok. Not great, but ok. was a little tough to get into third, but it went in.

Now, flash to the next time to the track. Only thing done to the car, aluminum one piece drive shaft. Now the car wont go into 3rd anything above 6k rpm.

Now, the pinion angle was already fucked because the car is lowered 1". Now it is worse. I do have an adjustable upper, but havent installed it yet. After realizing this piece of info, I measured my pinion angle. It is -1 deg. Everything i have read so far, and talking to my local hot rod shop, a stick car with poly bushings should have -3, so it is 2 degrees off (which has been told to me that is significant).

So, could that be the shifting issue? In some way? Seems awfully funny that was the only thing done to the car, and then the problems shifting to third begun.

It is possible it is a coincidence, but does anyone want to chime in?

Last edited:

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
I had the same issue in my 07. I installed a CHE k member brace with torque limiters. I don't know if that's available for your 13.

I also installed a MGW shifter. That helped until I exploded my 3650.

Then I installed a T56 magnum XL. Problem solved.

I'm at -2 pinion angle. I don't think your pinion angle has anything to do with your shifting issue.

NA-Stang

AMC #8 aka "The Jockey"
Reaction score
Well, installed my adjustable UCA this morning, and set the pinion angle to a perfect -3 degrees.

Drove it up the street to make a test hit. On the way there, shifted just fine. But, it wasn't spirited yet.

Then I dropped the hammer as if I was at the drag strip.

Brick wall trying to go into third. Not only that, wont go in at all, even after the rpms dropped.

Now, under any driving conditions, the car rakes going into third. Short shifting, granny shifting, any kind of shifting at all. Grinds. Goes into gear, but grinds.

Still, only third gear. Now what did I do? What happened? Was it possible that the third gear synchros were going bad, and now they just shit the bed all together? Or is the problem I am having just fuck up my 3rd gear syncros?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back