Clutch opinions 2011+

automatt

Reaction score
Im in the need of some suggestions.

Ill start out with I have a 2011 Gt with a Roush Blower on it. Puts down 500ish ft lbs of torque and almost 600 hp.
Currently I am on the stock clutch and after my car clubs track day I think its unhappy lol. My 1.48 60ft has now turned into a 1.67 Every time no matter what I do and rpms seem to hang when on launch. Driving and everything is still fine by ill be replacing it soon.

My last car was a 2004 gt and I had a spec stage 2 on it. and although stiff as hell I liked it.

What are peoples experiences with spec 2+? or any of the other clutches around its holding capability?

I am not really interested in a twin disk because of the constant chatter I have heard from them unless they have changed. I drive my car a good amount and don't want to constantly be listening to a noise clutch

What clutch do you have. how would you rank clutch feel vs stock. noise level and all around just how do you like it?

Any useful feed back is appreciated

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I was put off by the price of the McLeod so I went with what appeared to be a bargain- the Exedy Mach 500. The performance was awesome but the feel was awful. Very heavy pedal combined with a very low engagement point made my car miserable to drive. I lasted about 3 months before giving up and buying a McLeod RST. Best move I ever made, the pedal is light as a feather and engagement is right in the middle where it should be. It is dead silent and I've never heard it chatter once.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
9e22e8e0.gif

Please review our posting rules

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30272

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10392

search_it_noob.gif

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I could see the possibility of chattering if you had a lightweight aluminum flywheel, but that isn't the fault of the clutch. Stick with the stock flywheel or possibly a lightened billet steel flywheel.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
I have a lightened steel and almost any website u buy a McLeod from they warn u of this chatter.....look at jpcs website. Its def there but by no means a nuisance at all. It really only chatters when ur in the wrong gear.

automatt

Reaction score
I know McLeod clutches are supposed to be worth every penny but im buying a house in about a month and at this point every penny counts and the McLeod are twice the price of spec ram and exedy. anyone use those 3?

MRSUPRA

Reaction score
I have the Mcleod Clutch and aluminum flywheel. Love it.. It's actually very quiet. Once in a while you get a little noise at low RPM, but it's a very quiet noise. The clutch pedal effort is nice and light and very smooth too, although it grabs quicker than the stock clutch(like most aftermarket clutches).

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Twin disk clutches don't chatter. You can't go wrong with McLeod's RST or RXT.

You will have floater plate rattle however. The dual disc RAM clutch I ran on my 2011 did it but was very smooth and had stock like driveability.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
That all depends on wether you want to deal with a stiff pedal that goes along with single disk clutches that are rated over 500HP...

automatt

Reaction score
I cant imagine a hydro clutch being that stiff. I mean I went from a 2v with a stage 2 spec clutch in it and when I went from that to my coyote I thought I was going to kick the floor panel out because it was so soft haha. I don't mind it being a little stiffer as long as its not crazy and holds the power and tq of launching a tvs

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I could see the possibility of chattering if you had a lightweight aluminum flywheel, but that isn't the fault of the clutch. Stick with the stock flywheel or possibly a lightened billet steel flywheel.
I have a RXT with a very lightweight flywheel. It behaves almost the same as stock. I LOVE IT!

I know McLeod clutches are supposed to be worth every penny but im buying a house in about a month and at this point every penny counts and the McLeod are twice the price of spec ram and exedy. anyone use those 3?
Buy once, cry once.:thumb:

TurboX

Formally Buzz Lightyear
Reaction score
Another vote for Mcleod. I will also say that believe it or not, tune cann effect the way the clutch feels. I have a tune by a respected tuner on this board and I need to rev the crap out of the car to get it going or else clutch chatters bad. I have my current tune from Lito and the car drives no different than my stock clutch.

stepqhen

forum member
Reaction score
I went with the ACT FM13-HDSS and prolite flywheel, it is rated to 605 ft/lbs. I drive my car daily, it isn't any worse than stock as far as feel goes. I have noticed a small amount of chatter, but nothing too bad.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
I cant imagine a hydro clutch being that stiff. I mean I went from a 2v with a stage 2 spec clutch in it and when I went from that to my coyote I thought I was going to kick the floor panel out because it was so soft haha. I don't mind it being a little stiffer as long as its not crazy and holds the power and tq of launching a tvs

If you track your car or plan on upping the power you may as well install an RXT, If you're not in too much of a hurry, it's getting about that time of year you can get a RXT n' FW onsale for a little over a grand .

I tried a SPEC 3+ on my 3v, it was a leftover Saleen , I broke it in correctly and still roasted the damn thing 1st time I tracked it.

I also had very good success with an ACT HDSS clutch, however it did have a heavy clutch pedal.

Back