Clutch Slave Cylinder - Is this the same as OEM?

BLACK-MACHINE

living my 2nd child hood
Reaction score
some of the things dorman makes i trust, this is not one of them.
save yourself a headache and get the OEM or Excedy.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not the "same", but the equivalent. Iirc many have used it with success.

Eel Mit

forum member
Reaction score
Not the "same", but the equivalent. Iirc many have used it with success.

Actually it is the same.

LUK LSC379
Exedy BRG0159
Dorman CS650109

are Ford parts, if you set them side by side, they are identical...with the exception that the Ford logo and cast in part number have been CNC'd off (you will see the machining marks where they have done so). I have used all 3 parts and examined them in comparison to the OE part to see if one looked any better / different than any other. Bearings are the same part number, green bellows are the same material, o-rings are the same...

Only difference is the price.

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had sold a handful of these Dormans units when I worked at a parts house. The boxed items were FTE units. FTE I know is a huge OE supplier. BUT I have not paid attention to what is stamped on the OE units from working on these cars. These units have worked great for those I sold them to though. No comebacks... It's been a good couple years also.

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well there it is. Thanks for the pics Bruce! I had an idea FTE was Ford's supplier, just wasn't sure.

CraigNnem

forum member
Reaction score
Is the slave determined by the transmission or the engine?

Like if you have a 3v with a tr6060 do you go by the engine or the transmission?

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is the slave determined by the transmission or the engine?

Like if you have a 3v with a tr6060 do you go by the engine or the transmission?

Well, on these cars they are all the same. If it came down to it though, I would imagine it would be by transmission. Both engines have the same bell pattern.

CraigNnem

forum member
Reaction score
Ok

I heard someone say they got a gt500 slave thats why I asked.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
The Exedy does look like some ID numbers have been machined off but that Dorman in the OP looks like it was cast without them although it's hard to tell since they painted it.

I'm not just trying to push an OEM part here but I'd be wondering how the Dorman can be half the cost of the Exedy and less than half the cost of our discounted OEM part.

Not a part I'd skimp on considering what's involved in replacing it if it fails.

-Steve

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I do know Dorman buys a whole lot bulk and re-boxes. I have seen a bunch of parts from other suppliers also re-boxed with "grinded off" castings. Take SMP for instance, all their throttle boddies? Re-boxed OE units from VW, Ford, GM, etc...

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I wonder if the dorman/cheap units are those that don't pass QC for Ford, etc.

This way instead of throwing them out, you can sell them. You shoot for a given set of tolerances, and can broadly miss and still make your financial/warranty math work.

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score

This way instead of throwing them out, you can sell them. You shoot for a given set of tolerances, and can broadly miss and still make your financial/warranty math work.

Dorman is a pretty big company. I really doubt that to be the case. Just my opinion.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

That's what I was thinking too. Someone once told me that the cheap auto parts stores buy the lots that NAPA and auto manufactures have too many failures with. I don't know if it's true but I've more issues with new parts bought from the cheap places than anywhere else.

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dorman doesn't sell QC failed parts. The reason some of their parts are cheap is because of the fact the buy in bulk. May not all be the same part number, but many parts by the same supplier. Like these slave cylinders for our cars. They come stamped with FTE on them, same "68015" stamped on the but where the Ford logo is stamped it is grounded off.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Pretty good deal.

How about those Dorman cam phasers!!?

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Decided to give the Dorman a try.
Ordered one today.
Will post up good pics soon as I receive it.

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
Here is what I got from Exedy rep: "Thank you for your interest in Exedy products. The CSC that we provide is made by FTE which is also the OEM supplier to Ford. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me."

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back