Clutch Woes Round 2

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
As many of you know my stock clutch and flywheel were burnt up after 9400 miles of daily driving. I couldn't get an OEM replacement in a month so I decided to get a McLeod RST and Flywheel. The dealer installed it with a 2009 slave cylinder per Lethal's recommendations. After driving it a few miles I noticed two things.

- A really loud sound coming from the car at 1500 RPMS, so loud that you can hear it over everything else and outside of the car at a distance

YouTube - Drivetrain Noise

- Having to fight to get it into 1st or reverse at a dead stop.

I took it back to the dealer Monday and they took the car apart today. Here are pics of my RST and Light Steel Flywheel. I'm interested in everyones thoughts as to what the hell might be going on.:ugh1:
gallery_3104_1179_3336.jpg

gallery_3104_1179_71551.jpg

gallery_3104_1179_47751.jpg

gallery_3104_1179_60304.jpg

gallery_3104_1179_71597.jpg

smoken1986

forum member
Reaction score
How many miles on the new clutch? Looks like it was not disengauging properly. Could be caused by air in the lines, bad new slave or a bad master cylinder. I had to replace my master (26k on the car) when I replaced my clutch. It was still working but everytime I bled it I could never get all the air out and the clutch was engauging close to the floor, replaced it and it bled much easier and engaugement is back near the top.

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
How many miles on the new clutch? Looks like it was not disengauging properly. Could be caused by air in the lines, bad new slave or a bad master cylinder. I had to replace my master (26k on the car) when I replaced my clutch. It was still working but everytime I bled it I could never get all the air out and the clutch was engauging close to the floor, replaced it and it bled much easier and engaugement is back near the top.

700 ish miles on the clutch. I had them install a new 09 Slave Cylinder with it as the 2010 one is too long. I'm throughly confused by what is going on. Lee from McLeod said it might be a bent disc or loose floater. He won't know until he gets to inspect the unit.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Damn u have to send it back? So is the car going to sit until McLeod acts?

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
Damn u have to send it back? So is the car going to sit until McLeod acts?

Correct, they said their stock is low so they can't send me out a replacement. They are going to rebuild this unit. Looking at about a two week turn around. Considering UPS ground is about 4 days to Cali. I'm not real happy about it, nor is the dealer since my car is tying up one of their service bays. There is no way in hell they are rolling it outside for two weeks with the trans ripped out of it.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow! Sorry man that really sucks.

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
The clutch finally got to McLeod today. They offered to refund me for the unit. However, Ford can't get me another OEM unit until late August. With all the 07-09 owners doing the TSB the clutch is on backorder. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Roll the dice on the dealer installing another McLeod or wait for the OEM?

Last edited:

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
Did you have them do a dealer search? I think there was one available in the midwest somewhere a week ago

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
I spoke with McLeod today. They reconditioned the unit and made sure the bottom disc wasn't dragging anymore. I currently have two options.

1) Get a full refund minus shipping on the McLeod and install another OEM when they become available at the end of August.

2) Have the dealer reinstalled the recondition and tested McLeod unit with guidance from Lee at McLeod.

I'm torn on what to do. I really just want to enjoy the car again. In my situation would would you all do?

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This situation sucks from every angle, but I think I'd have to try the reman.

I just did my clutch and it took several days to get that last bit of air out of it, but 700 miles should have done it.

I see some streaking on the flywheel emanating from each of the bolts - is that bolt lube, engine oil or what? If it's any kind of oil that can create havoc with some clutches.

That looks like a lot if individual hot spots on all the metal surfaces, which I don't like. To me that indicates two possibilities: material density issue or high spots. I'm used to hot spots, but not that small or widespread.

DraggnRoush

Jimi Hendrix Blues
Reaction score
Personally, I'd have the McLeod reinstalled because their RST clutch has an excellent reputation and could handle all the HP you'd ever throw @ it down the road. I'd be confident that McLeod rebuilt it right.

TommyG

Reaction score
I know you will be happy with the McLoed. I would use a new T.O bearing. Even though the previous peice was new, why risk it.

As for McLeod, what other clutch manufacturer honors their product like them? Their commitment and service truly is top notch!

Lee from McLeod is also a great gut to deal with

Good luck
Tom

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back