Cold start issue?

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
a week ago I started the beast (after 3 weeks of non-use). When I started her it would crank over and over but would not fire up. Only after I "feathered" the gas like a carb car it fired up like crap and a big puff of white smoak came out.(smelled like un-burnt gas). After the car warmed up I didnt have any issues. The car could be shut off and on after that without issue. This morning it did the same thing. Only after stepping on the gas over and over it barly started. It seems like when it sits for long periods or cold outside its acting up. No codes are being thrown at all. Anyone have any ideas? :idea:

lostsoul

Reaction score
Ted, Take a look at what I posted back in Sept. My car has never changed either. It is still lke this. AND it is ONLY as I describe. Nothing weird once it starts after sitting.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2343

Someone told me it might be a leaky injector. But Im not sure if that's it or best way to test. Could it be a bad o2 or some setting in the tune? :-(

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To me it acts like a diesel does that has lost its pump prime, or as in this case has a small leak. I think air is getting in a fuel line. I ran a shop for years and I specialized in diesel engines. I would see this kind of thing and look for line connection issues in those days. Now I just post it on the internet. Fuel systems can leak air but not fuel and I have been the lazy ass for not datalogging I know....

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine has done something very similar for awhile and I did do the datalog - my left side O2 sensors are not getting any power to turn on the heater. I just went through and checked all my wiring, plus changed a sensor side-for-side with no change. I'm out of town and I can't get an answer from my tuner on wheter they are turned off in the tune. I went back in May when I failed inspection because all of them were turned off and he said he was going to turn on ther rears. I'm thinking he messed up. Check the data, as it takes about three minutes for the sensors to come up to temp and then it's fine.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
my car also does this when it is cold outside, below 50* and once it is warm it runs fine, i had it where it did it finally started and couldn't rev it, it just sat about 500 rpm. i tried shutting the car off and restarting and it wouldn't start, i turned it over for a good 30 seconds and it fired up and the wideband stayed on 10.0 until the car was warm and then it started running fine

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
oil separator. install one and the problem will go away. i had the same problem. i was told it could be a leaking injector too, but if you pull the plugs after a period of non usage, they plugs will be fouled. the reason why its working fine after you run the car i because your burning off the shit on the plugs

lostsoul

Reaction score
oil separator. install one and the problem will go away. i had the same problem. i was told it could be a leaking injector too, but if you pull the plugs after a period of non usage, they plugs will be fouled. the reason why its working fine after you run the car i because your burning off the shit on the plugs

I could understand something like this after letting it sit for 3 weeks but now even after running it every day it still does it in the early morning. I guess I can try it. I know were to find one( on a redfire vert) ;-)

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sometimes they will flood, just like old carbureted cars. The next time it acts that way, push the gas pedal to WOT and see if it fires (of course let off when it does catch).

The WOT switch, when depressed while starting turns the fuel off to the injectors and lets it clear and then startup.

My wife had a chrysler sebring convertible that would do this, especially if you started it up and say moved it out of the garage and back in. The next time you tried to start it, it would flood.

Hope this helps.

Mike

lostsoul

Reaction score
So punch in the go peddle before I turn the key.. I can give it a try next time. I'm just confused as to why this started. Why cant I ever get an easy problem to fix...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back