Compound turbos

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I don't even know if the FRPP is really aftermarket. It might just be an upgraded stock head. Everyone else just modifies the stock head.

C&L was going to make a 3v head from scratch but between the yote coming out and it being difficult to find gains worth milling a head from scratch for they got rid of it.

TFS might make a head eventually.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Somebody on the Roush forum a few years back cooked up this turbo + PD blower setup.

Another possible option is a big displacement PD blower. I think Both FRPP + Kenne Bell make a 4.0 L and also a 4.2 Liquid cooled PD blower. That's a huge displacement PD blower. I think they were good for 20-25 psi boost. E85 or a water /meth injection setup would solve any iat issues.

What's the final application ? If it's just for dd street / hwy use, typ 550 rwhp is more than ample....with the typ no traction in 1-2-3-4 gears. How reliable does it have to be ? At least with any PD blower setup, you get the instant boost / instant TQ hit..at any eng rpm.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't even know if the FRPP is really aftermarket. It might just be an upgraded stock head. Everyone else just modifies the stock head.

C&L was going to make a 3v head from scratch but between the yote coming out and it being difficult to find gains worth milling a head from scratch for they got rid of it.

Anything that isn't 5.0 DOHC was relegated to near niche market status upon arrival of the 5.0 DOHC. The only reason the 5.0/5.8 pushrod engines still have stuff being built for them and developed for them is because their are like 60 years worth of the engines out there. They are too popular to ignore.

Ford may have reached "peak V8" with the Coyote.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Guy where I live makes 1500 with twin turbos and his factory GT500 blower. I would just make a custom manifold. That blower is probably plugging things up.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score

The FRPP heads were a new casting with a 5-axis PnP. Bigger intake/exhaust valves. I can't remember all the details. They rivaled any stock head PnP because of material reinforcement. The dangerous aspect of having the stock head ported was the material was much thinner in key areas than some of the aftermarket machine shops anticipated. There were a few botched port jobs posted up here over the early years. Even if the port job was successful, the port jobs still posed more unforeseen side effects. Upon a successful port job and head rebuild with new guides and hardware, once the head was actually put through some heat cycles, a lot of people experienced valve guide issues, mostly due to the removal of head material around the valve guides.

On corral the consensus came down to most being happy with just a slick PnP job to smooth out the casting material within the port, and finally port matching the intake/exhaust. There are plenty of OEM heads with aggressive port jobs running out there still, but I feel they are far and few between. The 3v head design again plagues its own potential.

The FRPP new casting CNC 3v heads work and were designed to be ported. It's unfortunate they ceased production, but I'm sure a set can be found if one were to go hunting for them.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Guy where I live makes 1500 with twin turbos and his factory GT500 blower. I would just make a custom manifold. That blower is probably plugging things up.

Does the combined cold output side of the twin turbo's feed the input side of the twin 60/65/67 TB...then into the oem / aftermarket PD blower ? If that's the case, ur probably correct. The PD blower may well be impeding airflow at high eng rpms. And the twin turbos may well be impeding airflow at low eng rpms.

46addict

Reaction score
I just don't see the point of this apart from being a thought experiment.

1 Large turbo > basically anything else. Learn everything you need to know from the Supra world. And nitrous is the answer to lag as far as Im concerned.

I agree with this. After 550wheel it becomes impractical on the street. If you're buidling a grudge car you'd be better off buying a retired grudge car as a foundation and choosing your own parts to go in it. But I'm boring and I do things that has worked in the past.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the priceless info on 3v head castings and porting!! @702gt

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
I agree with this. After 550wheel it becomes impractical on the street. If you're buidling a grudge car you'd be better off buying a retired grudge car as a foundation and choosing your own parts to go in it. But I'm boring and I do things that has worked in the past.

I respectfully disagree, on a 335 DOT slick and a built suspension, using boost by gears ill be throwing everything at it 4th gear. And part of fun is building. everything on my car i hand picked, and if it works it was because of my own engineering....... and Jeremys..... well, mine and all of your guys input.....

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't live in a densely populated area. My foxbody is right around 350 whp and the same torque. Nothing crazy. Not even notable really. And I can be in automatic suspension of license speeds in short order.

My brother has a 418W Ranger that is at least 200 whp stronger and it is insanely faster. It's dangerous in inexperienced hands.

For a street car that sees occasional track time 550-600 whp is quite a lot. It breaks stuff. It finds the next weakest link and exposes it.

You will fortify and reengineer every part of the car at the power level you're talking about. And you may as well forget staying manual shift. I've yet to see or read about stick that is street friendly and can live behind that kind of power.

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
Well truthfully im not sure I've ever been in anything as fast as what im building. The fastest manual ive driven was an old group b rally car. So i cant speak from experience. Im sure there will be obstacles but i live for this shit. I can remember being like 15 years old sitting up all night on a dial up internet computer watching streetvids.net videos of nasty cobras tearing up the streets, telling myself "one fucking day ill have one of those" well That days coming

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
There was a very smart man who posted here before Heaton ever came along. He had a 600+ hp car. Gone to heaven now because even though he was smart and careful, the world has a way of catching you out.

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
There was a very smart man who posted here before Heaton ever came along. He had a 600+ hp car. Gone to heaven now because even though he was smart and careful, the world has a way of catching you out.

Thats pretty chilling man, i assume there was tragic accident in that 600hp car?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Yes. 2-3 others have wiped out at that power level as well, just totalled the cars. A guy toasted his 427R with minor mods off of a country road.

S197 chassis is ok on the street to about 600 wheel tops if you're careful, ie: never get unlucky or careless. It's a go kart with a wagon axle. Corvette always held a bit more. Don't know about S550, sure it's similar to 'vette.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Thats pretty chilling man, i assume there was tragic accident in that 600hp car?

Assuming Im not mistaking.
He had just tuned his DOB R spec with a huge blower on it. 600 +hp, hadn't dynod it. Or even 100% finished tuning because it was such a beast.

We believe an electrical issue popped up that threw it WOT and he wiped out before he could realize and react to what happened. Everyone tried to scream out street racing on the news. But he wasn't the type of guy to do that, and he knew what that car could do with a bad full throttle kick.

RIP

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
It sucks to hear about someones life getting cut short, shit can get brutaly real. Im taking all the safety messures roll cage, containment seats, fire system. all in all its still a risk, but lifes short.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Assuming Im not mistaking.
He had just tuned his DOB R spec with a huge blower on it. 600 +hp, hadn't dynod it. Or even 100% finished tuning because it was such a beast.

We believe an electrical issue popped up that threw it WOT and he wiped out before he could realize and react to what happened. Everyone tried to scream out street racing on the news. But he wasn't the type of guy to do that, and he knew what that car could do with a bad full throttle kick.

RIP

Are you referring to crown aviation ? I remember reading his last post here on S197 at aprx 9 pm on a sat night....and he was killed at 12:30PM, on Sunday afternoon. I think the eng had a helluva lot more than 600 rwhp. There was nothing left of the car, it was incinerated end to end. It was out of control, hundreds of feet before he impacted into the 2nd vehicle.

Last edited:

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
It sucks to hear about someones life getting cut short, shit can get brutaly real. Im taking all the safety messures roll cage, containment seats, fire system. all in all its still a risk, but lifes short.

Hummmm, I'm not sure if yer' planning on outlaw street racing or not, but the Yellowbullet is littered with dead racer threads who wrecked their full bore race cars on the street.

Those big ass slicks aren't going to hook for shit on cold asphalt.

245k3rs.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back