Compound turbos

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Here's the other thread on the same situation. http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121998&page=8

Scroll down to post # 315.

05stroker is out data logging one day. Hits the gas at 75 mph, and loses traction. Data logs indicate the tire speed was 126 mph! Backs off, then actual speed is down to 84 mph. And this is with 325 DR's. This is what happens with 800 hp.

On the strip you get to air down the rears, then back up... into water box to heat the rears. You don't get to do that on the street. No track prep on the street, temps could be down quite a bit, esp in the eve / night...or fall. Then you can easily get in over your head....and fast.

This spring, like an idiot, I installed the directional NT-555 rears on... reversed.
(285-40-18) It would pull to the left, at the top end of 2nd gear, with small blower on. Just about put it into the center concrete divider @ 60 mph. Got out of it, straightened it out, tried again, with same results. Flipped rears around the correct way, problem solved.

A few years ago, car was lowered 1" front + back with Roush suspension set up. Oem LCA's are now too high at axle end. In the rain / wet, give it some gas at just 30 mph, and it would pull to the left. Lost it 4 times going to dentist office just 4 miles away from home. In went the BMR lca re-locate brackets, lca's, uca etc, etc. Problem solved. With lca's higher at axle end, you are taking weight off the rear axle when you get into it.... which is exactly what you don't want, either in a straight line ..or on corners... in the wet. Live and learn... the hard way.

Last edited:

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
Many times I've disassembled my 62MM FFRP to diagnose why the throttle hangs wide open intermittently. first thought, it must be the floor mat, but after having removed it the issue persisted. Next i disassembled the TB. First, the spring tensioner responsible for mechanically retracting the plate is weak to say the least. operationally im unsure if the actuator is capable of bi directionally forcing the linkage, but in the full tilt position at WOT the throttle plate has to initially overcome some drag once you lift the pedal. However this is somewhat controversial when you bring up phenomenons such as Bernoulli's principle and such, further the accelerator pedal has what I believe is a hall effect sensor that will cut spark once lifted. Also i noted the use of dry lube on plastic gears inside the TB, i believe at certain temperatures this lubricant might cause binding issues. At the end of the day i never did find a root cause. But thought id share. It hasnt occurred as of recent. Im sure you guys freind was probably using a gt500 TB though..... the accelerator in these cars also seem poorly constructed i might add.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
/\ tune, dashpot and dynamics of the MAF

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here is the setup I have going on. Will feed one side of the turbine scroll till about 12psi. It's a 75mm turbine 1.15ar so about .58 per scroll. Like mentioned not expecting much little better transient response and low end torque. Peak boost may come in a few hundred rpm sooner, we shall see.

Attachments

• 20171021_134033.jpg
    20171021_134033.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20171021_134430.jpg
    20171021_134430.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 2

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
This will certainly aid in scavenging, you might be able to sprinkle some extra timing in it due to the reduction of cylinder temperatures. Did you have cams spec'd for this system???

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back