Concept hood with GT500 heat extractor insert?

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
Hi guys! Newb here on S197forum but not to forums or modding vehicles. So this is something I've been mulling over in my head the last couple weeks and wanted to get your opinions on. Little background first; I just bought my dad's (stock) manual 2006 GT that's now my one and only DD vehicle. The plan is to maintain its DD-capability while pushing it's corner-carving-push-you-back-in-your-seat-stop-on-a-dime-capability to the max. Tonight's conundrum: I have an opportunity to pick up a Cervini Concept hood for a good price. I love how this hood looks but want actual high speed utility ala heat/pressure extraction. What do you fine ladies and gentlemen think if the idea of installing a GT500 heat extractor insert into this hood? A chin spoiler, splitter, belly pan, diffuser, radiator channels, grill block offs, etc... will be coming. I've been reading through tons of aero-related threads paying special attention to people such as sqidd and the mods they've made. Very impressive. So what do you guys think? Do you think the air inlets on the front of the hood would interfere with the aerodynamics of the vehicle or the heat extraction ability of the insert? Thanks everyone!

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
What does the rest of your build look like??? The aero stuff you're proposing is mostly a pretty high cost/benefit ratio proposition.

But to actually answer your question, I think the GT500 extractor could functional depending on where you placed it.

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
What does the rest of your build look like??? The aero stuff you're proposing is mostly a pretty high cost/benefit ratio proposition.

But to actually answer your question, I think the GT500 extractor could functional depending on where you placed it.

Thanks for the input! She's literally bone stock right now but here's a rough idea of where I want her to be performance wise:

Stable at 160+ mph
Increased track performance with min impact on DD useability
425-525 rwhp (this is open to discussion on how, how much, etc...)
6-speed swap (eventually)
Upgraded clutch
Lighter driveshaft?
Drop springs 1-1.5"
Matching shocks, panhard bar, CAs, etc... (again this is open to discussion)
GT500 14" front brake upgrade (rear... ?)
Brake cooling ducts
Wider 18" wheels
285ish tires all around
Chin spoiler
Homemade/APR splitter
Homemade radiator walls to funnel in and through
Block off unnecessary grill areas
Undertray/bellypan
Rear diffuser
Heat extraction via hood

I'm sure a lot will change over the course of the build but it comes down to I want something I can drive every day without killing myself, can take upwards of 160-180 mph, and can take to the track and have respectable laptimes with. Reliability is also a strong point for me though I realize the stronger I make her and the harder I push her the less reliable she'll become.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
ok....so....where will you be hitting 160-180? Got some tracks with giant straights out your way???

I've highlighted some things on your list in red that I think should be priorities, and added a couple in blue.

I wouldn't worry about any of the aero or power for quite some time.

Thanks for the input! She's literally bone stock right now but here's a rough idea of where I want her to be performance wise:

Stable at 160+ mph
Upgraded clutch
Lighter driveshaft?
Drop springs 1-1.5"
Brake cooling ducts
Wider 18x10 or 18x11" wheels
285ish tires all around

Chin spoiler
Homemade/APR splitter
Undertray/bellypan
Rear diffuser
Heat extraction via hood
Camber plates, springs, and dampers
!!!!! Safety equipment (seats/harness/rollbar/HANS) !!!!! (no offense...sounds like you're going to need it....)
Seat time
Differential

I'm sure a lot will change over the course of the build but it comes down to I want something I can drive every day without killing myself, can take upwards of 160-180 mph, and can take to the track and have respectable laptimes with. Reliability is also a strong point for me though I realize the stronger I make her and the harder I push her the less reliable she'll become.

Last edited:

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
ok....so....where will you be hitting 160-180? Got some tracks with giant straights out your way???

I've highlighted some things on your list in red that I think should be priorities, and added a couple in blue.

I wouldn't worry about any of the aero or power for quite some time.

Thanks, I'll def take all of that into consideration. Some of which was already on the shortlist such as seats, safety equipment, and all of the red items; I didn't put the missing items on the initial list since they're irrelevant to the question at hand. Just a little personal background... I've been driving this car off and on for years (ever since my dad bought it) but it just became mine very recently so there will be much much more seattime moving forward! Additionally I have advanced driving schooling thanks to Uncle Sam. I do have some skills but that being said there is ALWAYS more to learn and I am in NO way a professional. I have been and will continue to be safe in my pursuit of velocity-based happiness. I hope none of this makes me seem like an ingrate. On the contrary I appreciate the input and concern! :cheersman:

Thanks. I read that (and every other thread on the subject I could find). I'll read over them again. I know how well the heat extractor insert can work which is why I plan on using it. The question is what do you the experts think of it being utilized with the Cervini Concept hood? If I missed that somewhere I apologize but I wasn't able to find discussion on this particular subject.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
The Cervini hood has the scoops doing the opposite of what you want. If those scoops are functional they are adding pressure behind the radiator, not extracting it. And if the scoops are non-functional, they hurt the aerodynamics of the car.

The GT500 hood vent is far too small to use as an extractor. It can help, but you won't be able to run it with a blocked off grill. You will need a much larger hood opening, and some ducting on the back side of the radiator to flow to that opening to get the pull you are looking for.

And you put lowering springs on your shopping list. If you are looking at modifications like hood ducting and aero, you should first focus on getting a good suspension under the car with real spring rates, not lowering springs.

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
The Cervini hood has the scoops doing the opposite of what you want. If those scoops are functional they are adding pressure behind the radiator, not extracting it. And if the scoops are non-functional, they hurt the aerodynamics of the car.

The GT500 hood vent is far too small to use as an extractor. It can help, but you won't be able to run it with a blocked off grill. You will need a much larger hood opening, and some ducting on the back side of the radiator to flow to that opening to get the pull you are looking for.

And you put lowering springs on your shopping list. If you are looking at modifications like hood ducting and aero, you should first focus on getting a good suspension under the car with real spring rates, not lowering springs.

Thanks Mr McDaniel! That's exactly what I was expecting to hear about the forward facing inlets. I was thinking that maybe (just maybe) it wouldn't be the case but was what I was expecting. I'll happily modify the stock hood or save up for a while for a legitimate HE hood. I'm a little surprised about the heat extractor though.

Do you mean it would be too small for the performance I want to be capable of? I should clarify I mean to blockoff only the unnecessary grill openings such as the lower portion underneath the radiator not the whole thing. What I've understood from what I've read is block off unnecessary openings, funnel the air through the radiator and out of the engine bay. Am I way off in my thinking about my desired approach though?

As far as the springs go I'm still researching what route to go with that but I definitely plan on a whole vehicle approach not just springs and shocks. I don't have unlimited resources so I need to pick my parts very carefully. I very much appreciate all the help and information here! Thank you guys!

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
I wonder how well this Cervini hood would do for aero and heat extraction?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/cervi...2gtv6-FPReplacementV1&T5_Var3=blue&GID=389068

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

I've looked at that one as well and I like how it looks. I know little about realworld performance but have read good things from people about it (mostly about how it looks). The thing is the reason I was interested in the Concept hood was the good deal I could get on one nearby. It's looking like I just need to man up and save my pennies for a real HE hood. In the mean time I'll just drill some holes in the stock piece! Hahaha! :happythumbs:

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
It will be a lot easier to think about it technically, if you stop the romantic relationship with the car, calling it "She".

It's a freaking appliance for transporting your body around.

Mustangers. Objectify their women, anthropomorphize their cars.

Perverts.

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
It will be a lot easier to think about it technically, if you stop the romantic relationship with the car, calling it "She".

Perverts.

Heh heh... well, it's better than having to anthropomorphize our women! (real doll anyone?) :hump:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score

Perverts.

hey, dont talk that way about my girl, she loves being driven hard on the street's and put away safely in the garage....lol

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I wonder how well this Cervini hood would do for aero and heat extraction?

Not too well. Those vents are actually in front of the radiator, and even if they were in the right location they are very small. Like painfully small.

To do the cooling right, you have to cut a fairly LARGE hole in the hood, and it has to be positioned behind the radiator. In addition to this, you will need to form some ducting both on the inlet and exhaust sides of the radiator, and will likely have to relocated some underhood components to get them out of the air path.

Here's how we handled two projects.

First, is a Roush Stage3 with even more engine and lots of suspension upgrades. As part of a combined aero and cooling package it received a larger radiator, standalone oil cooler and a ducted hood. It's difficult to see in the pics, but there is a duct behind the radiator that goes half way up the height of the engine.

Here's the hood we started with. It's a carbon hood with a replica GT500 vent molded into it. This vent is already more open than the real GT500 vent, but see that blue tape, we're going to make it MUCH larger.

v1_hoodclosed_B61G7479-M.jpg

Wow, yeah. That's a big hole, but those tanks are in the way of most of it, and had we left the stock-ish GT500 vent in there, they would be blocking ALL of the vent.

B61G7503-M.jpg

So, we relocated the tanks to the battery area (had to make custom tanks and lines) and banished the battery to the trunk (had to make more custom cables) and cleaned up the gap between the radiator and engine to make room for the low profile ductwork.

B61G6073-M.jpg

Then, we filled in the vent hole with some very free-flowing louvers. No tight mesh here, we're looking for flow.

B61G8084_logo_1920-M.jpg

Yep, that big hole flows some air.

B61G8087_1920i_logo-M.jpg

Here's a second one we did. It's our track record smashing 2011 GT. Overweight, underpowered, but suspension and aero that worked very well. Again, we start underhood and see that there are tanks and a cold-air intake that are in the way.

IMG_3139-M.jpg

Here it is cleaned up so we have some room there. Again, there's a duct built into the bottom of the radiator that comes part way up the engine to deflect air up and out instead of allowing it under the car.

_DSC7518-M.jpg

Then, there is the front duct work. The new bumper beam holds the splitter supports, tow hook and the front ducts. Because of this configuration we were able to completely block off the upper grill.

DSC_5428-M.jpg

Then came the hood vents. Again, location and size matter. This was after several iterations while we tried to get them as far back as possible while clearing the engine and new intake tube.

_DSC1028-M.jpg

Yeah, they are sort of big. But that's what it took.

20130913_174624-M.jpg

And the entire view of the system, showing the hood vents, lower radiator intake, splitter, 4" brake ducts, flares, and blocked off aero grill.

DSC_4895-M.jpg

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
...manual 2006 GT that's now my one and only DD vehicle. ....a Cervini Concept hood for a good price. I love how this hood looks

Lots of good replies already, but can somebody show an image of this "concept hood" he is referring to? I went to the Mustang House of Style (A.M.) and looked at the various Cervini hoods for 2005-09 Mustangs. Wow...

i-FRmJDQx.jpg

After I bleached my eyes I realized I could not find this "concept" hood he describes. Maybe, hopefully, it isn't as hideously non-functional as the rest of the Cervininini hood lineup?

Pictures speak volumes....

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
My god! SO much drooling over here! I need a new shirt... heh heh! Thanks for the info! Those cars are amazing and you guys obviously know what you're doing! I'm taking your (and the other's) suggestions and going with safety, brakes, suspension, and updating my advanced driving training first thing. I'll post a pic of the hood in a min. I'm sure I'll feel shame for even considering it! Hahaha...

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I think that one will do the reverse of what you are trying to do.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
Stable at 160+ mph
Upgraded clutch
Lighter driveshaft?
Drop springs 1-1.5"
Brake cooling ducts
Wider 18" wheels
285ish tires all around
Chin spoiler
Homemade/APR splitter
Undertray/bellypan
Rear diffuser
Heat extraction via hood

My personal thoughts on your list:

#1: Forget about adding power. For the love of god, stay naturally aspirated! Power adders do nothing but add complication, weight, and heat. I speak from experience. Every mod I've done since I added a supercharger has been to curtail the inherent downfalls of having a blown track car. I'm on the verge of pulling the blower and swapping in a coyote for this fact alone!

#2: Don't waste time and money on lowering springs and mediocre shocks. If you're serious about tracking the car, do the correct suspension right from the get go and put on a good set of coilovers and real springs. My first track day ever immediately proved how worthless adjustable shocks and lowering springs are if you really drive hard. Lowering springs make street cars feel fast and race cars drive slow.

#3: A 6-speed swap is a waste of money. The only time you'll see an advantage is on the highway at 80 mph. Even then, the savings in gas won't add up to the cost of a swap. You'll never use 6th at the track.

#4: Forget about a panhard and go straight for a watts link. It just makes more sense for your wallet. Don't be like the government and do things twice.

#5: Start working on the driver mod first and then fix problems YOU find with how the car handles. Don't throw the parts bin at the car and then try and sort it out later. Many of us have been there, done that, and the T-shirt was really expensive.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back