Concept hood with GT500 heat extractor insert?

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score

Yeah, those are sexy! They're on the shortlist fo sho!

My personal thoughts on your list:

#1: Forget about adding power. For the love of god, stay naturally aspirated! Power adders do nothing but add complication, weight, and heat. I speak from experience. Every mod I've done since I added a supercharger has been to curtail the inherent downfalls of having a blown track car. I'm on the verge of pulling the blower and swapping in a coyote for this fact alone!

I have considered a poweradder but then decided I wanted to occasionally track her. This just backs up my logic.

#2: Don't waste time and money on lowering springs and mediocre shocks. If you're serious about tracking the car, do the correct suspension right from the get go and put on a good set of coilovers and real springs. My first track day ever immediately proved how worthless adjustable shocks and lowering springs are if you really drive hard. Lowering springs make street cars feel fast and race cars drive slow.

I'm not sure if I want to afford a coilover setup on what will still be my DD but it's something I'm looking into. I definitely won't skimp as best I can.

#3: A 6-speed swap is a waste of money. The only time you'll see an advantage is on the highway at 80 mph. Even then, the savings in gas won't add up to the cost of a swap. You'll never use 6th at the track.

But... But... 6-speed! Heh heh... I do want one but I think I'll hold off for now.

#4: Forget about a panhard and go straight for a watts link. It just makes more sense for your wallet. Don't be like the government and do things twice.

Yeah, this was where I was starting to lean. I like Whiteline's one that replaces the diff cover; thoughts?

#5: Start working on the driver mod first and then fix problems YOU find with how the car handles. Don't throw the parts bin at the car and then try and sort it out later. Many of us have been there, done that, and the T-shirt was really expensive.

Heh... Sounds like me with my lifted Jeeps! Thanks for the input! It really is appreciated! Mods start soon! I'll be in OR before the end of March. :cheersman:

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
My favorite here would be by far the Tiger Racing Hood. Though it is not entirely a hood made for extracting all of the heat from the engine bay it does helps and aids in reducing lift as well.

98385d1325111812-tiger-racing-cf-hood-black-red-032.jpg

As far as Watts links are concerned I am more of a fan of the Cortex design than I am of the Whiteline. I do like the Whiteline, but I just feel the Cortex is a better piece and it is also helps that many of the Boss 302R & S cars run the Cortex units in their cars as well as many others.

Last edited:

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
My favorite here would be by far the Tiger Racing Hood. Though it is not entirely a hood made for extracting all of the heat from the engine bay it does helps and aids in reducing lift as well.

As far as Watts links are concerned I am more of a fan of the Cortex design than I am of the Whiteline. I do like the Whiteline, but I just feel the Cortex is a better piece and it is also helps that many of the Boss 302R & S cars run the Cortex units in their cars as well as many others.

I really like the Tiger hood, but I think that the vents may be placed too far rearward and they're really pricey.

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score

98385d1325111812-tiger-racing-cf-hood-black-red-032.jpg

The TR hood is def sexy but I'm starting to take a real shine to the Track Spec vents on a stock hood. That would be more money towards other go fast goodies!

I'll take a look at the Cortex link when I get home. Me likey research!

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
ok....so....where will you be hitting 160-180? Got some tracks with giant straights out your way???

Looks like he is moving out towards me. Only fast track out here is Pacific Raceways, near Seattle. I did 165-170 on the front straight in a 675 whp GT500, he's not touching 140 at most tracks around here, let alone 160.

You've got lofty goals for this car, and that's nice to see, but you really need to take a step back and chill out basically. The car is all stock...so it needs many things to perform well. Here's what I would do first, preferably all at once:
-Vorshlag's Bilstein kit http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_179&products_id=559-
-Dedicated track pads and DOT 4 fluid (Motul, Wilwood, Castrol, etc)
-Seat time
-Seat time
-Seat time

There is a track day on April 2nd out at ORP (not too far north of Bend) put on by the local autocross association. It's cheap ($140), fun, and will be a great learning experience for you.

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
Looks like he is moving out towards me. Only fast track out here is Pacific Raceways, near Seattle. I did 165-170 on the front straight in a 675 whp GT500, he's not touching 140 at most tracks around here, let alone 160.

You've got lofty goals for this car, and that's nice to see, but you really need to take a step back and chill out basically. The car is all stock...so it needs many things to perform well. Here's what I would do first, preferably all at once:
-Vorshlag's Bilstein kit http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_179&products_id=559-
-Dedicated track pads and DOT 4 fluid (Motul, Wilwood, Castrol, etc)
-Seat time
-Seat time
-Seat time

There is a track day on April 2nd out at ORP (not too far north of Bend) put on by the local autocross association. It's cheap ($140), fun, and will be a great learning experience for you.

Yeah, I can't wait to get back out to the NW. Get to see the family and everything. I'm muchos excited!

I'd like to clarify some things real quick for everyone who reads any of my posts... My performance goals are the top end what I want to be capable of. I absolutely don't expect to reach these goals 99.9% of the time. Additionally, despite my previous training and experience (hmm... because of them?) I DEF need more seat time and even more important track time! I hope I don't come across as arrogant or anything with any of my responses. I'm 100% taking everyone's input and advice to heart and will consider all my possible options as I go through this build. I want to build it right the first time and maintain the useability of my DD as we go forward.

I really like what I've read, seen, and heard about Vorshlag's stuff but I'm looking into other options too (Cortex, Griggs, etc...); Cortex' Watts Link has been giving me car boners all night!

I've never been to an autox event (driver or spectator) but I'll look into it for sure and see if it's something that interests me. Thanks for the input and the info! This car is going to be BADASS one of these days! Now if I can just get those asshats at FEDEX to fix what they're POS lying worker did to my baby I'll be a bit happier...

Thanks again bro! Hope to see you out there soon! :cheersman:

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
Speedboosted: Do you know of any good corner-carver-biased clubs out in or around Bend who aren't full of douchebags that would except an old novice(ish) newb?

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Speedboosted: Do you know of any good corner-carver-biased clubs out in or around Bend who aren't full of douchebags that would except an old novice(ish) newb?

Not really, Bend is full of old people and Corvette's. The event at ORP is a track day, not autocross. It's just organized by an autocross group.

When do you move up here? I'm a few minutes north of Portland

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
Not really, Bend is full of old people and Corvette's. The event at ORP is a track day, not autocross. It's just organized by an autocross group.

When do you move up here? I'm a few minutes north of Portland

Whoo hoo! Whipping on all dem old fogeys in dem Vettes!! :flamingdevil:

Heh heh... Seriously though that'll be funny to see. I'll have to see what I can scrounge together; maybe have some meetups and stuff. I'm going to be in the AO at least 2 years. Might as well have some fun! I'm most likely leaving PA the last week of Feb and going to the Tri-Cities in WA to see my grandparents and a few other relatives. Should be in Bend getting settled in first weekend of March. School starts the 28th. I'm totally stoked! :clap:

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
So I'm surprised that no one has called this dumbass newb out on saying he doesn't want to afford coilovers... I come mostly from a Jeep background and coilovers there are (or at least were) two or more times as expensive as what's available for these machines. I'm now looking to heed your guys' advice and just go for them! Man I love this forum! So much good information! Thanks everyone for making it what it is!

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
What a dumbass. Buy coilovers!
Or air. Hah

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Whoo hoo! Whipping on all dem old fogeys in dem Vettes!! :flamingdevil:

Heh heh... Seriously though that'll be funny to see. I'll have to see what I can scrounge together; maybe have some meetups and stuff. I'm going to be in the AO at least 2 years. Might as well have some fun! I'm most likely leaving PA the last week of Feb and going to the Tri-Cities in WA to see my grandparents and a few other relatives. Should be in Bend getting settled in first weekend of March. School starts the 28th. I'm totally stoked! :clap:

Cool, you'll have plenty of time to get signed up :)

Or air. Hah

Lol, how about no...

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
Or air. Hah

Heh heh... Thanks Wes! Think I'll stick with coilovers but we'll see!

Cool, you'll have plenty of time to get signed up :)

Unless my air suspension blows up on the highway at 160+! :clap:

PS: Got my UDPs in today and I am STOKED about starting the parts hoarding! There's going to be a LONG weekend install party in Bend soon! Everyone's invited!

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
It should also be noted, that coilovers vary wildly in quality from brand to brand with some not able to support a proper spring rate. In the case of some brands, a lowering spring on Koni yellows will actually be a better solution. If you're gonna go the coilover route, spend the money upfront on a good set such as the MCS coilovers from Vorshlag.

In the aviation world, especially military aviation, training on a new platform always starts with ground school. The baseline knowledge learned there is the foundation for each and every maneuver performed in the plane. I think this method of learning is transferable to pretty much every other discipline in life, especially building fast cars and learning to drive them fast. Before you buy any more parts I think you should pick up "Think Fast" by Neil Roberts and "Tune to Win" by Carroll Smith. Another notable resource is the Speed News magazine put out by the National Auto Sport Association (NASA). Immerse yourself in the basics, learn the lingo, and get a better understanding for how technical this hobby is. Forums are great, but there is a lot of misinformation floating out there too.

Last edited:

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
It should also be noted, that coilovers vary wildly in quality from brand to brand with some not able to support a proper spring rate. In the case of some brands, a lowering spring on Koni yellows will actually be a better solution. If you're gonna go the coilover route, spend the money upfront on a good set such as the MCS coilovers from Vorshlag.

In the aviation world, especially military aviation, training on a new platform always starts with ground school. The baseline knowledge learned there is the foundation for each and every maneuver performed in the plane. I think this method of learning is transferable to pretty much every other discipline in life, especially building fast cars and learning to drive them fast. Before you buy any more parts I think you should pick up "Think Fast" by Neil Roberts and "Tune to Win" by Carroll Smith. Another notable resource is the Speed News magazines put out by the National Auto Sport Association (NASA). Immerse yourself in the basics, learn the lingo, and get a better understanding for how technical this hobby is. Forums are great, but there is a lot of misinformation floating out there too.

zquez: thanks for the input! I'll def look into those sources. What do you fly? I'm moving to Bend by the end of next month in order to attend helo flight school. Been putting it off for years and I'm finally just doing it! Very excited!

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
zquez: thanks for the input! I'll def look into those sources. What do you fly? I'm moving to Bend by the end of next month in order to attend helo flight school. Been putting it off for years and I'm finally just doing it! Very excited!

That's great! Flying is great fun. My current sky chariot is a T-45C Goshawk.

file.php

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
Whoa! Cool! I almost went the military route (and def should have) but I'm happy with the direction I'm going and hope to fly for search and rescue or something someday and that will be great too.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back