Degreeing Cams

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
So, I am having issues getting my cams to time right. I have the VCT locked out and I cannot seen to get the timing right. I have set it to the marks but it is showing in the fuel trims that I have a lean bank. I have been messing around with the timing of each head but cannot seem to get it right. It is not a O2 sensor issue as I have already double checked that. I have got one of the heads to read correct but now I have a head running really lean. I felt the headers after it was running and the passenger head is burning up vs. the driver which is cooler. I have heard that with the lockouts I might have to degree the cams? Any suggestions? Thanks.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I have been running lockouts for 3 years and have not had to degree my cams. This is with both stock cams and my current 127300 cams which were within .5 degrees of comps's specs when I did check them when building my current engine.

Did you take the entire front cover off to re-time your engine or are you just messing with the heads and cam gears? From the sounds of it you really should take the front timing cover off and start from scratch.

EDIT:Did you make sure both lockouts are installed the same? What I mean is that one isn't installed advanced and one retard?

Last edited:

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
Yes I made sure the lockouts are installed correctly. I just built the whole motor and I have had the cover off so many times I am just trying to not have to remove it but I am probably just going to remove it today. Thanks just PITA with the turbo.

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
So I took the cover off and set the marks correctly. The driver side cam still seems off but as long as the marks are set and the 1 piston is at TDC then is it good? I am looking at the cam lobes on the #5 to make sure everything looks good but according to the Ford inductions the lobes are not in the right positions. If I only need to set the marks then I guess I will put it back together and see what happens.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
What cams do you have? Is it possible that they are ground wrong or have you used them previously without issue? I would get the cams checked before you button everything back up if you suspect something is not right.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I am looking at the cam lobes on the #5 to make sure everything looks good but according to the Ford inductions the lobes are not in the right positions.

So I'm not trying to be a smart ass - only trying to help...

I know of more than one person that has assembled a 4.6L 3V and looked at the motor from the front and had left & right banks reversed.

Are you using the RH Bank (cyls 1-4) passenger side and LH Bank (cyls 5-8) driver's side?

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
Yes I almost made the mistake before but I have realized the sides are referring to the from the driver seat. I have used the cams before they are Detroit rockers. I will have to double check the cans but I am pretty dang sure that I have the sides correct and the drivers side lines up correctly. The timing gears are interchangeable correct. Just trying to come up with solutions or things to double check. Thanks

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
So reset the timing with the front cover off and went to start it and it ran but had a ratcheting sound so I killed it. Double checked everything and tried to start it again but now it will only turn over. I an about to take it to a shop and tell to figure it out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back