DIY Wideband Install

mykim72

forum member
Reaction score
I just ordered an autometer cobalt wideband, has anyone installed one of these and want to do a write up? thanks!

mykim72

forum member
Reaction score
im installing it into the middle vent with the roush vent pod, any help would be greatly appreciated

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's Easy, You need to have the WideBand bung Welded in to the Exhaust pipe, (Stock H-Pipe) Drivers Side just in front of the Cat. With Long Tubes I put mine in the JBA H Pipe on the straight section before the Cat on the drivers side.

dsc00305resizedsj2.jpg

Pull the Drivers side Wheel off and remove the plastic mud cover. on the firewall you will see a rubber gromit, clip the "TIT" off of the extending rubber and feed the Sunsor wire plug through the opening. (once complete you may want to seal with RTV)

IMG_0735.jpg

Use a Extend a fuse connector and plug it into the F-13 Socket on the Smart Fuse Box (Kick panel on the Passanger side)
This is a switched power source.

IMG_0731.jpg

DO NOT Get the +12V from the radio power, it will cause a God aweful buzzing noise on the radio. You can also ground the Black wire here with a crimp on under the bolt that holds down the Fuse Box. Thats it. I will provide pictures soon.

Last edited:

mykim72

forum member
Reaction score
thanks alot! really appreciate the help, someone posted connecting to the wiring harness under the e brake trim. there is a 12 volt ACC and also a ground wire, would this be better for the wiring?

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't know if that power is switched with the key. Remember that the Wideband Sensor has a heater in it and can draw some power, I prefer to use a seperate fused source, protect the wiring in the car is the goal, the wire near the e brake is not a large enough guage to support the load.

Last edited:

MOC826

I have a shitty program!
Reaction score
if you have an o/r x/h pipe you can take out the back o2 sensor and plug the wideband in where the 02 sensor was so you dont have to weld in the bung. i did it on wylds car. as long as you have a tuner to delete the rear o2s youll be fine

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Nice, I was looking for something like this. Here's my question, if we have only 2 slots for switched power, how do I hook up 3 gauges?

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice, I was looking for something like this. Here's my question, if we have only 2 slots for switched power, how do I hook up 3 gauges?

Mine are daisy chained.... don't know if that's the best way but it works for me

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Painless Wiring Fuse block. You can run 7 gauges off this one. It is awesome and a piece of cake to use. Every gauge gets adequate fuse protection and you don't overload your current circuits. I currently have one set up for 3 gauges, but I plan on moving up to 5 gauges in the future.

Pricey, but worth it IMO.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
no 2k05GT's last pic of the wired fuse.

That's called a " add-a-fuse " you can get them at almost any auto parts store , just make sure you get the small version and not the regular buss size like I did at first lol .

Another way to run multiple gauges off one fuse spot is relays , that way the power comes direct from the battery but is " triggered " by the acc fuse . never have to worry about overloading it ( with gauges anyway ) and still leaves the other spot open for other things that may be needed . Or you can do it the fancy way like willy and buy the painless kit .

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's called a " add-a-fuse " you can get them at almost any auto parts store , just make sure you get the small version and not the regular buss size like I did at first lol .

Another way to run multiple gauges off one fuse spot is relays , that way the power comes direct from the battery but is " triggered " by the acc fuse . never have to worry about overloading it ( with gauges anyway ) and still leaves the other spot open for other things that may be needed . Or you can do it the fancy way like willy and buy the painless kit .

Fancy? You make me sound all snooty and shit, haha. :beerdrink:

If I ever get this damn car running right, I'll actually install some gauges and show off my "fancy" stuff.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fancy? You make me sound all snooty and shit, haha. :beerdrink:

If I ever get this damn car running right, I'll actually install some gauges and show off my "fancy" stuff.

lol well shit I know how you weirdafornia guys are :beerchug2:..... wtf you broke now ?

Back