Dog chewed up my key

lilcrate

forum member
Reaction score
My dog chewed up my key and now it won't start. None of the buttons on it work. It was soaked in slobber. I tried replacing the battery but it did not help. I tried resetting the computer by unplugging the neg battery battery of the car, because someone told me to. As I thought, that didn't work. Tried calling roadside assistance, all they can do is tow it to a dealership. Any ideas? All the dealerships around here are closed today.

541823_395968243784509_2139308208_n-1.jpg

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Didn't the car come with two keys?

lilcrate

forum member
Reaction score
No spare, bought it used and they only had one key. Kind of figured all I could do is wait, sucks. Anyone know how quick they can get a replacement?

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Walmart does key programming. Not sure up to what year but I was shocked to see they had programmable keys.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
The dog said...."happy fourth of july, i ate your key so when you get wasted you wont be tempted to drive" sorry bout your luck, sucks you only got one key with the car

lilcrate

forum member
Reaction score
Walmart does key programming. Not sure up to what year but I was shocked to see they had programmable keys.
Thanks for the info. Just called and the guy didn't seem to know what he was talking about, but basically said no.

lilcrate

forum member
Reaction score
Our automotive dept at Walmarts does it. Strange. Do you live in the country? lol
No I live in the city. He said he does it, but not for my type of key, but again he sounded dumb. There is one near my wife's work, I'm taking her in to work in about 20 minutes, I'm going to swing in and ask in person(different location) for added insurance.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
No I live in the city. He said he does it, but not for my type of key, but again he sounded dumb. There is one near my wife's work, I'm taking her in to work in about 20 minutes, I'm going to swing in and ask in person(different location) for added insurance.

Good deal! Hope it works out for ya!:thumb:

lilcrate

forum member
Reaction score
Walmart said they can't do that type of key. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow. But after reading the manual it insinuated I will need to have the car towed to the dealership to have programmed a new code. Just talked to my GPA and he said he thinks I'll have to have it towed there as well... Ugh

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Try a lock smith. Try more than one. Some don't have to equipment to do it because it's expensive, but they can do it.

lilcrate

forum member
Reaction score
Id be going back to wherever you bought this car. Your gonna have to buy 2 keys now and pay for the programming. Get ready to bend over.

This is for one key, to program the new keys you will need 2.
https://www.ikeyless.com/vehicles/Ford/Mustang/2012/1004070/
The place I bought from didn't have a spare. Are they legally obligated to compensate me for one? I don't know anything about it.

Seriously? I sure hope it's not too bad.

lilcrate

forum member
Reaction score
Try a lock smith. Try more than one. Some don't have to equipment to do it because it's expensive, but they can do it.
A locksmith will have a 2010 Mustang key they can reprogram?

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its probably too late now, but if it was me and at a Ford dealer id have the car hauled up there and politely ask them to help me out.

lilcrate

forum member
Reaction score
Its probably too late now, but if it was me and at a Ford dealer id have the car hauled up there and politely ask them to help me out.
I'm not quite sure what you are getting at here.

BUT, I can have it towed to the dealership, just do one key, then order that one you linked to(if it is cheaper than their price), then program the new one myself and have two working keys. Manual says how to program a key, but you need a working key to do it.

Back