Dyno Tune Vs Mail Order

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
searched the forums, but did not find anything useful so sorry if this is a repost.

I got a smoking deal when I bought my X3 tuner, with two tunes in it. One just to correct for the JLT CAI on 87 and one for the JLT with 93.

The 87 tune is just perfect everyday driving, no complaints.

The 93 tune has been pretty good to me as well, car shifts nice and hard can chirp the tires in the 1-2 and 2-3. and has me running very consistant. seeing as how this was pretty much just a basic "mail order" tune, would I see any benefit if i went to get a custom dyno tune for the 93 setting? there's really nothing else i plan to add to my car until i can afford to do the S/C set up, maybe some suspension stuff and maybe a 3.73 gear(planning on a whipple) but most likely just the suspension stuff.

so would a custom tune be worth the $ for me or not? I like the way the car runs, but if it can run better thats always a plus

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will never understand why people flip flop between an "87" tune and a "93" tune. Just have the car tuned for the octane you drive and let it be. If you keep putting back the 87 tune to save $0.10 a gallon on gas and that whopping $1.60 per tank makes that much difference, you are driving the wrong car....

But to answer your question, you will probably not see a tremendous amount of difference with as few of mods as you are running. If you were highly modified, I would definitely recommend a "hands on" tune over a mail order tune. That is not to say that mail order tunes are crap. Just as with a custom dyno tune, they are as good as who you have doing them.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
hahaha the 87-93 flip is kind of stupid, the difference by me is normally between 20and 30 cents a gallon. but for daily driving i like the way the trans is set on the 87 tune. i only run on the 93 tune when im going to go to the track because it shifts way harder and runs a good amount faster.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you could have the 93 tune adjusted to shift more like the 87

+1 to Doc - w/ your mods maybe pick up a few hp, not worth the cost IMHO

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
all i was wondering. thanks guys. might go and still get the car put on the dyno though just to see what its got.

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly. If you bought them from a company that knows about tuning, they probably have some really good value files that they have writen and should have that car just about dialed in for you. if you just have the basic bolt ons, there is no real reason to have the car DYNO Tuned. The mail tunes are pretty dead on depending on the company you get them from.

Once you get a supercharger. Get it dyno tuned. Never do a mail tune with a supercharger. You can get a mail tune for a start up file, but you still need to get it dialed in on a dyno.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will never understand why people flip flop between an "87" tune and a "93" tune. Just have the car tuned for the octane you drive and let it be. If you keep putting back the 87 tune to save $0.10 a gallon on gas and that whopping $1.60 per tank makes that much difference, you are driving the wrong car....

But to answer your question, you will probably not see a tremendous amount of difference with as few of mods as you are running. If you were highly modified, I would definitely recommend a "hands on" tune over a mail order tune. That is not to say that mail order tunes are crap. Just as with a custom dyno tune, they are as good as who you have doing them.

^^Yup
Honestly. If you bought them from a company that knows about tuning, they probably have some really good value files that they have writen and should have that car just about dialed in for you. if you just have the basic bolt ons, there is no real reason to have the car DYNO Tuned. The mail tunes are pretty dead on depending on the company you get them from.

Once you get a supercharger. Get it dyno tuned. Never do a mail tune with a supercharger. You can get a mail tune for a start up file, but you still need to get it dialed in on a dyno.

^^And yup..

ixtlan

Reaction score
MO tunes have come a long way since the intro of the car.
They have been tweaked and tweaked to where the tuners have pretty much
got them dialed in as good as the dyno would do.
For us with just basic add ons the MO tune is great.
But as mentioned, add a SC or Turbo and we are in a different game.
Too many variables are added in that are engine specific or area specific.

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Denver area dyno tune

while on the subject of dyno tunes. Does anyone know of a good shop in the denver area that has experience with FI 3v motors?

and

If I get a dyno tune is the tune only saved in my programer or is it something that could be emailed so I would have a back up of the tune if something happened to my tuner?

Thanks

MDB919

Reaction score
while on the subject of dyno tunes. Does anyone know of a good shop in the denver area that has experience with FI 3v motors?

and

If I get a dyno tune is the tune only saved in my programer or is it something that could be emailed so I would have a back up of the tune if something happened to my tuner?

Thanks

Ive been told that Stang Auto Tech does good work in Broomfield, but I haven't dealt with them personally.

Kraftsman

forum member
Reaction score
lets say for my benefit, you get a mail order tune from a reputable company like I did for a SC tune like I have. You dont think that certain companies have done enough of these and saved files from previous dyno tunes to just be able to send you one?

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
lets say for my benefit, you get a mail order tune from a reputable company like I did for a SC tune like I have. You dont think that certain companies have done enough of these and saved files from previous dyno tunes to just be able to send you one?

I think those tunes are good. As I have 2 mail order tunes that came with my SC and 2 from another company. Their is a definte difference in the tunes and the HP and TQ that is produced.

My concern or question is since I live at 4800 feet would I benefit from a tune that was done at this altitude vs a tune that was set up at a lower altitude? Am I leaving some performance on the table with one of the email tunes vs a dyno tune? I am really trying to justify the extra $$$ for the dyno tune and see if it is really worth it. My goal is to get as much HP as possible while keeping the AF safe.

MDB919

Reaction score
Yeah, im pretty sure than when you shut down your rear 02 sensors and start messing around with other things like the mail order tunes do when they tune them at sea level, the car can no longer compensate for the lack of oxygen at Colorado altitude. I got a mail order tune from a company in Illinois, and my car just fell flat on its face. It couldnt do anything unless it was running at over 4k rpm. And i dont even have FI.

duece05

forum member
Reaction score
I went with a Bamchips tune cause Doug has a car just like mine (gt auto) and has tuned for the same bolt ons that I have. I have great faith in Doug and am totally happy with the tune and for sure his customer service!!!!

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, im pretty sure than when you shut down your rear 02 sensors and start messing around with other things like the mail order tunes do when they tune them at sea level, the car can no longer compensate for the lack of oxygen at Colorado altitude. I got a mail order tune from a company in Illinois, and my car just fell flat on its face. It couldnt do anything unless it was running at over 4k rpm. And i dont even have FI.

Did you get a tune done locally, or are you still dealing with it?

twinscrewed

forum member
Reaction score
Ive been told that Stang Auto Tech does good work in Broomfield, but I haven't dealt with them personally.

I personally would steer clear of that shop...ive had plenty of experience with those guys in the past, and wouldnt let them touch my nephews BigWheel.

I ran a Brenspeed tune when I was still NA, and just with that, a CAI and some gears I ran 14.2's @ 99 all day long at Bandimere, and that was on the stock Pirelli's...which is still the best ive seen to date for the mods I had. And I have the FRPP tune still on my Whipple, and making 8lbs of boost, im running what other people are running with 2-4lbs more boost and custom tunes...so there ya go. IMO dyno tunes can be a waste of money when you consider what some of these "shops" around here want...$500-800 bucks. If my set up was more exotic, I could maybe justify the expense, but not at the power levels I, and you guys are making....just my opinion.

GT John

forum member
Reaction score
To help all tuners be the best that they can be.

It would be wise if persons using an email tune could datalog the operation of the engine with the new tune installed. If you are running SCT, download and use LL5.1 and datalog the following points. Once this is done you can email the datalog to your tuner for evaluation and possible revisions to your tune. The more information that comes from a tuners customer base the better. The datalog file can be printed out in exel and closely reviewed

There are no two cars that will perform the same (close...but not the same), whether using an email tune or custom tune. We have seen this at the shop on many occassions after a 100 or so '05's and up.

Remember, the more information you can pass along to your tuner.........the better, but you must provide a datalog.

Email tunes are by far the least expensive way to go...........no doubt. Custome tunes are the most accurate way to go.........and thats a fact.
:beerchug2:

Attachments

• Datalog Points to Monitor (Medium).JPG
    Datalog Points to Monitor (Medium).JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 27

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

It would be wise if persons using an email tune could datalog the operation of the engine with the new tune installed. If you are running SCT, download and use LL5.1 and datalog the following points. Once this is done you can email the datalog to your tuner for evaluation and possible revisions to your tune. The more information that comes from a tuners customer base the better. The datalog file can be printed out in exel and closely reviewed

There are no two cars that will perform the same (close...but not the same), whether using an email tune or custom tune. We have seen this at the shop on many occassions after a 100 or so '05's and up.

Remember, the more information you can pass along to your tuner.........the better, but you must provide a datalog.

Email tunes are by far the least expensive way to go...........no doubt. Custome tunes are the most accurate way to go.........and thats a fact.

That is a very good point and is something I could do fairly easily. Thanks for the input.

Kraftsman

forum member
Reaction score

for the ignorant people like me, can you walk me through how to download this. I have a SCT x3 tuner.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back