Emissions in VA?

TrickyP

Booyah!
Reaction score
As Greg can attest to, I don't have a Mustang anymore (at the moment). However I am looking to do some work on my Volvo (V70 2.5T). Since it's a turbo, I wanted to open the exhaust up a bit with a catted downpipe. I've never had a car inspected in VA before, so what exactly do they look for when the car is inspected? I've seen variations in people's responses on various forums (visual, OBD-II check for codes, etc). Any insight would be appreciated!

Commence making fun of me for driving a Volvo.:nk:

A photo for reference:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on where you live but around here they only do a visual, no sniffing, not sure if you have a CEL if that affects the inspection or not; you could ask Mike about it.

Volvo FTW! Or not....:dead2::soapbox:

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
They really only do a visual. However, depending on what you're doing, that means having a CAT, unless you happen to know a shop that will let you get by without it.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They really only do a visual. However, depending on what you're doing, that means having a CAT, unless you happen to know a shop that will let you get by without it.

I would assume-dangerous, I know-that most shops would not look for a Volvo to be modified...they would "expect" a mustang, camaro, vette, etc to be modified and may look harder but a Volvo? Probably not.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I would assume-dangerous, I know-that most shops would not look for a Volvo to be modified...they would "expect" a mustang, camaro, vette, etc to be modified and may look harder but a Volvo? Probably not.

Until they hear it. Especially if it has a 3" exhaust.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
There is no way I would equate a muscle sound with a volvo.
It's just awkward, I would be looking around for another car who may have made the sound and skip right over the volvo.

TrickyP

Booyah!
Reaction score
I do like the point that most people will not suspect a Volvo to be running a modified exhaust...especially if I keep the stock catback and run just the downpipe. It also sounds like as long as you don't have a CEL and aren't running a loud/obnoxious setup, you SHOULD be ok if you are catted.

For the record, this engine is a 5-cylinder, not a 4-cylinder. So what does a 3" turboback exhaust sound like on this car? Well this is an "R" model, which means a different turbo and manifold, but similar engine:

TrickyP

Booyah!
Reaction score
Here's a better comparison between stock and a 3" TB setup.

Don't worry...I'm coming back to Mustangs eventually. Just my DD for the time being. :highfive:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back