Engine Whine

silverstang23

forum member
Reaction score
****UPDATE IN POST #11****

Help me identify my engine whine please. My 2008 automatic GT has developed what is getting to be a pretty loud whine. It almost sounds like the car has a small superchargers that's always boosting or the alternator is going. I don't think it is the alternator because I just replaced it within the past 30 days and the pitch or volume of the noise did not change. It makes this noise in gear and out of gear. It varies slightly with rpms but never goes away. Any guesses? I'm thinking pulleys just based on the fact that it does it in neutral.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Take a can of WD-40 and hit each pulley 1 at a time (practice good safety) and see if it changes/goes away. Could always scope the valve covers and see if the whine is internal (valvetrain/timing). Also scope your power steering pump/AC. These are my thoughts for narrowing it down.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
To figure out if it's valve train or pulley/accessories, remove your belt and start the car. That way you're not chasing one area when it's another.

Keep an eye on your temps...

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
To figure out if it's valve train or pulley/accessories, remove your belt and start the car. That way you're not chasing one area when it's another.

Keep an eye on your temps...

^^^^^^^
What he said.

Is there any risk in trying to put a few RPMs to the car for ease of listening

No, not as long as you only run it a short time and don't let it get hot.

-Steve

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
The concern is water temps since the water pump isn't turning. Adding more RPMs isn't a problem, but it will raise the temps faster.

Is the whine present even at idle, or in a certain RPM range?

silverstang23

forum member
Reaction score
The concern is water temps since the water pump isn't turning. Adding more RPMs isn't a problem, but it will raise the temps faster.

Is the whine present even at idle, or in a certain RPM range?

It is present at idle but more difficult to hear. It is very obviously there through the rpm range. I would say it's there for all RPM's but the top end. It might be there too just overpowered by engine noise.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
To figure out if it's valve train or pulley/accessories, remove your belt and start the car.

Even better idea. Just remove the drivebelt, manually spin each pulley, and see which one sounds noisy or feels rough when you spin it. It won't take you more than 5 minutes to find the culprit.

silverstang23

forum member
Reaction score
I think I found the culprit. I started the engine with the belt off and it didn't make the sound. Then I spun the pullies by hand and found one that makes a weird noise. I took a picture and a video of it. Now what do I do to fix it? Replace the pulley and which one am I looking at. Thanks for the help

(it's the one on the left just above the filter)
PhotoAug29100649AM_zpsca8479ee.jpg

silverstang23

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm going to get it from my local stealership Steve since they actually have it in stock. But I'll keep ordering all my plan in advance parts from y'all

Can I reuse the existing screw set. What's the torque spec?

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm going to get it from my local stealership Steve since they actually have it in stock. But I'll keep ordering all my plan in advance parts from y'all

Yes, bolt is reusable... Torque to 18 ft/lbs.

silverstang23

forum member
Reaction score
Well I got that one replaced. It was for sure bad but there is still another one that's bad. Sound is still there but better. Since spinning them only turned up that one I guess I'm going to try and listen.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I started the engine with the belt off and it didn't make the sound.

Of course! :) Without the belt only the crank pulley would be spinning so you wouldn't hear any sound from the other pulleys. Glad you found the culprit was a bad grooved idler pulley which is cheap and easy to replace.

there is still another one that's bad. Sound is still there but better. Since spinning them only turned up that one I guess I'm going to try and listen.

Good idea but do it with the belt in place this time. ;-) I'd be willing to bet that the culprit is the other smooth-faced idler pulley above the grooved idler (another cheap easy fix).

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score

Sometimes buying local is the answer, no doubt about it. :beerchug2:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back