Ladyklr

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an '06 GT. It has JBA LT headers, FRPP cams, catless mid-pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, and it's lowered (not sure how much.)

Is anyone in here running electric cut outs with long tube headers? If so, I'm looking for advice on where's the best place to put them. I don't want to have the exhaust come out under the car. The side skirts are maybe 5" off the ground at best, so doing any form of side exhaust would get beat up pretty quickly with speed bumps around my area. I can hardly get over them as is. Anyone have any pics of them running cut-outs near the mufflers? How did you do the piping if you did? Any issues with electric cut-outs? Should I use a manual plate/flange set up and just getting under there to screw and unscrew covers onto them?

(haven't found any posts in regards to doing LONGTUBE headers with cutouts, only factory manifolds and cut outs near the tranny. If there's a link I missed feel free to direct me that way.)

Thanks!

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
IF you don't have cams it'd gonna sound tractor like with an open exhaust. For what it is worth most cut outs are installed at or near the header and just have dump or open pipe right off the cut out.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
As a cruel joke, when I was still cammed we were doing some suspension work that required the exhaust removed. It was about 11pm and my buddies room mate went to bed early (his room shared a wall with the garage) and he asked us to turn the radio down. My buddy wasn't happy to comply as he wasn't as courtious when he blasts his music. So while we were putting everything back together, before I put the mid-pipe back on, he decided to shut the garage door and fire my car up open long tubes. It did not sound like a tractor. The room mate came out pissed, said we scared the shit out of him. Good times.

+1 for turn-downs. Cutoffs at the header, point the cutoffs out the sides, bolt on a short turn-down tip. Should keep fumes minimized at a stand still.

Ladyklr

Reaction score
Rocket,
I've ran it with just headers and nothing else connected (when I first installed the headers) and it didn't sound like a tractor at all. It sounded fantastic IMO.

702GT, yeah I got a few complaints for doing that late at night. Worth it though, I was blown away with how it sounds. I'll keep it quiet in the city though. And thanks, I'll try to see what I can do near the headers. They are just damn long and they come back quite a ways, directly below the front seats I would say. That's the lowest part on the car for me, so it might be tricky to have anything else fitting there (I'm running 18" wheels in the front, 20" in the rear so my back end definitely has a bit more clearance to work with.)

Thanks for the quick responses though. I'm open to any other ideas, but I'll be doing measurements closer to the headers and see if something can be done there.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought about doing cutouts, but 1) I didn't want to cut my midpipe, 2) I would probably never open them and 3) technically they could fail you for having them at inspection time. So I just saved my money.

Also have heard a lot of stories about electric cutouts leaking after not too long of a time because they get gunked up with carbon.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I thought about doing cutouts, but 1) I didn't want to cut my midpipe, 2) I would probably never open them and 3) technically they could fail you for having them at inspection time. So I just saved my money.

Also have heard a lot of stories about electric cutouts leaking after not too long of a time because they get gunked up with carbon.

You get the odd one that will be stuck open, or partially stuck open, on one or both sides...or an electrical issue etc. Some just burn up, too hot on the mechanism.

SeanD

forum member
Reaction score
I have my QTP cutouts a little after the cats. My setup is a little different as I have Boss 302 side exhausts connected to the QTP's.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back