Favorite Wax

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
^ Cool, I thought so, I usually clay before I do a seal job, which is about twice a year. But you have a very good point being it can be used more than once.

just be careful if you use it as a daily wash, if you don't dillute it enough itll strip wax and sealants, if you dillute it just right, its a very nice and powerful wash. Just read the instructions on the bottle and you'll be fine.

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
I use CG Maxi-suds 2 for my usual wash down. Do I need to worry about this stripping away the sealant and waxes? Autogeek states it will not strip anything away.

I guess if it was not diluted enough it could?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I use CG Maxi-suds 2 for my usual wash down. Do I need to worry about this stripping away the sealant and waxes? Autogeek states it will not strip anything away.

I guess if it was not diluted enough it could?

any shampoo can potentially strip wax, but you have to be really liberal with the maxi suds for it to strip. Maxi suds is like 1oz to 1 gal of water, and Iam sure you can go higher on the maxi suds scale but no need to.

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
Seer, I have seen you say before not to use Dawn dishsoap to wash a car, but instead use a citrus based car wash. Why is that? I have never used Dawn, just curious.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Seer, I have seen you say before not to use Dawn dishsoap to wash a car, but instead use a citrus based car wash. Why is that? I have never used Dawn, just curious.

Even dawn on their website tells you not to sure their product to wash cars with. Dawn is not ph neutral, it is higher on the alkaline scale. Side effects of it are drying out the rubbers, and plastic pieces of your car, which will then cause stress cracks.

If anything you want a citrus soap that slightly favors the acidic side. Don't worry about products that have a slight ph variation, its just the ones that are fairly extreme in one direction or another.

Last edited:

Silverrider

forum member
Reaction score
man after reading this i need to get on my shit! I just bought some 15 dollar meguires liquid wax to wax my 3 vehicles... will this not do the job or what? I did my 2002 FX4 tonight and it looks freaking awesome! going to do the 2011 kia optima tomorrow and hopefully the stang tomorrow or sunday... I only have 11,000 miles on the stang, and it is a 2009 and i havent waxed it since the first year i have bought it... very neglected, never sees rain or snow and lives in a garage... but i am going to make a point to do this a couple times a year. so i dont have to read through 6 full pages what do you guys suggest??
EDIT: Dont know jack about waxing, i know how to apply by hand let it dry and whipe it off..lol, hopefully what i bought will be good enough

Silverrider

forum member
Reaction score
lol, just did... way too much info! but, now i feel horrible for my mustang! i think i need to try the whole clay bar thing, then wax that baby down!

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
If you dont do anything, at least get one of the over the counter mothers or maguires clay kit. You should feel an immediate difference. Then you could work your way up to a porter cable and the addiction that most on this thread has, lol!

Silverrider

forum member
Reaction score
lol, so the over the counter clay kit, wash, wax (is the meguires liquid wax good enough after the clay?)

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
yep, claying makes a world of difference if you take your time and do it right. Just be sure you're ready to seal or wax because the clay will strip the wax off.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
lol, so the over the counter clay kit, wash, wax (is the meguires liquid wax good enough after the clay?)

Good enough to do what?

Good enough to remove swirls? No
Good enough to remove the surface of contaminents and protect it? Sure, depending on the wax depends on how long you protect it.

Silverrider

forum member
Reaction score
well i have no visible swirls, car is kept in a garage and has 11,000 miles on it... but i am thinking about giving it a good wax and seeing how it comes out. then if i think it could be better i will clay it a couple weeks later and wax again, bought the mothers clay kit.

Silverrider

forum member
Reaction score
Alright... I am going to clay it, wash it, then wax it! Hopefully next week or the week after.. won't drive it until she is done! Thanks gents!

acrophobia13

eat. sleep. drive.
Reaction score
Alright... I am going to clay it, wash it, then wax it! Hopefully next week or the week after.. won't drive it until she is done! Thanks gents!
Don't do it in that order!
Wash it first, then clay it, then wash it again to get rid of any clay lube residue. Then wax it.

If you clay it first, you're essentially going to be rubbing any dirt that's on the paint around, causing more swirls. Even in a garage kept car, dust can settle onto paint.

Ideally, a car should be completely dust- and dirt-free before you ever actually touch it. It's always easier to prevent swirling than to polish it out.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
Don't do it in that order!
Wash it first, then clay it, then wash it again to get rid of any clay lube residue. Then wax it.

If you clay it first, you're essentially going to be rubbing any dirt that's on the paint around, causing more swirls. Even in a garage kept car, dust can settle onto paint.

Ideally, a car should be completely dust- and dirt-free before you ever actually touch it. It's always easier to prevent swirling than to polish it out.

Treed:

I was about to post the exact same thing. This is 100% great advice.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back