Finally hit the dyno!

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to get some dyno pulls. First ever dyno ever. Was fun and exciting but disappointing numbers.

Car has:
302 stroker 10.5 CR
Completely stock heads and cams
Paxton Novi 2200 with 3.33" pulley @ 12.7 peak psi
Pypes shorty with o/r h-pipes

Made 467hp/402Tq on a dynojet. (Ignore the dip on the afr as the sensor fell out)
02b8e30861cfd0bca1571fe5a18d5603.jpg

I was hoping to be around 550 or at least 500 but oh well. My CR and 93 fuel is limiting this. What should I do next?

Don't want to go e85 as there are no stations around me.

Video:
https://youtu.be/BFbp6DUzhpU
https://youtu.be/MwAFbN6BRh8

Last edited:

NoviBlownGT

Boosted Crew
Reaction score
Tune must be very conservative. I'd go longtubes and maybe some cams. Also FRPP intake would be a nice upgrade. I have a novi2200 also. My last numbers on 93octane were 686rwhp with a 3.15 pulley and 10% overdrive.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It looks like the o2 sensor blew out the tail pipe at 4k. I wouldn't put too much into the numbers. All dynos are different and chasing dyno numbers is a pointless endeavor imo. This is coming from someone who has chased dyno number btw.

The dyno is great for doing tuning without the risk of a serious ticket. It's also good for seeing what progressive mods are doing for you. It will also tell you if something is seriously wrong but for the most part it's just a tool.

With all of that said I would of expected more with your setup. Were you monitoring boost during the pull?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Get it to the track and see what it does, that will be the tell tale. Very nice numbers. I agree that the tune appears conservative. Are you running an HE on teh paxton setup and if so how do the IAT2 temps look during the pull? Before I went E85 on the car, I'd first see what I could get out of it going with a blower grind cam next. And as mentioned the dyno could be very conservative as well. My 95 varied 25RWHP in similar air temps between two dynos here locally. I simply went to the second one for a dyno day just top make a pull and hang out. Otherwise I had no interest in bouncing around form dyno to dyno just trying to get a number.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You know, Magic inflates their DJ by 10%, :D

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
It's tuned by Lito, it's conservative due to my high compression.

The o2 did fall out, I saw it fall out as soon as he got on the throttle.

This Paxton is blow through and intercooled with Paxton A2A intercooler.

Didn't monitor my iat with this dyno run but when I log its always near ambient.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

Didn't monitor my iat with this dyno run but when I log its always near ambient.

Did you monitor boost? It's quite possible that you weren't seeing all the boost your setup is capable of.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score

What about IAT2? IAT will usually reflect near ambient. IAT2 is the air temp after its been compressed by the SC and pushed through the HE. Monitor that temp during a nice pass at the track. It probably won't be an issue. How much timing is the car seeing at WOT? Just Curious.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
This was my first dyno so I didn't monitor anything =/ but for next time I know what to look for.

On a blow through setup the maf is seeing air right before it enters the TB, which is already been cooled by the intercooler so isn't that iat2? There is no iat1.

BruceH you mean I'm under spinning the blower?

I was surprised to see 12.7psi actually. During road tuning logs the most I could get was 10psi and even after converting to blow thru I thought I would see a drop in psi but it didn't .

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
This was my first dyno so I didn't monitor anything =/ but for next time I know what to look for.

On a blow through setup the maf is seeing air right before it enters the TB, which is already been cooled by the intercooler so isn't that iat2? There is no iat1.

BruceH you mean I'm under spinning the blower?

I was surprised to see 12.7psi actually. During road tuning logs the most I could get was 10psi and even after converting to blow thru I thought I would see a drop in psi but it didn't .

I'm just thinking that maybe the belt was slipping this time, it would be an easy explaination of why the hp was lower than expected.

Was this the tune with ks disabled or was it pulling spark? I'm not about to question your tuner, 100% confidence he has the situation in your best interest.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score

That would be the one I assume. I have never run a centri. I have helped others with theirs. I run TVS.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
I would of requested another pull with good data on the A/F. Something isn't right here with your setup, I would expect a lot more from this run. Really would like to see if something is pulling timing, loosing boost. If it's an auto I would monitor the lockup in 4th to make sure it's locked, the auto's have a real tendency to unlock unless you force lock 4th. With a 3.33" pulley I wouldn't think your slipping yet.

Last edited:

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think it's slipping either, the 3.33" is an 8-rib as well. Never felt or heard belt slippage.

It's a manual, 4th gear pulls.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
There is no IAT2

OKAY OP. So you're saying that at 12psi+ after the HE on the boost side you're measuring "near ambient temps" on IAT with this setup? At WOT? Across the entire power curve? That is pretty amazing of the Paxton package. How does the dyno IAT compare to the real world of making a pass ? If the H.E. and centri are that efficient you should be able to run 20 degrees of timing or even more with octane being the only limiting factor. IMO based on that, your next upgrade would be more boost, and more aggressive tune. But I'd make a hit with it at the track first to see what it will do and datalog it. That would give the tuner better data to get more aggressive on the tune without going stupid far. Almost has me thinking about selling the whole TVS setup and going to a PAXTON on the ole KY-YO-TAY.

Last edited:

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Paxton uses an air to air intercooler not a heat exchanger. They are more efficient than water cooled intercooler and don't heat soak so easily.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Paxton uses an air to air intercooler not a heat exchanger. They are more efficient than water cooled intercooler and don't heat soak so easily.

Whatever its called on the centri. Funny, a friend has a prochrager setup and heat soaks the crap out of it. Has up graded the IC and still can't keep IAT's beklow 170 @ mid track in good air. Running 19-20psi on E-85cmaking over 700RWHP on a forged 3V .020" over. Nice setup, pretty to look at, makes nice dyno numbers, but only a 1/10th or so quicker than mine down the track with 150+ more HP dyno sheet per dyno sheet (same dyno btw). Thats my exposure to centris and IAT comparisons. Was enough to turn me off. May have to look into a centri setup if they make one that doesn't sound like a Subaru exhaling every time you let off the throttle.

No issues with my triple pass VMP heat soaking. 130 tops in 90 degree air.

Last edited:

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think it's slipping either, the 3.33" is an 8-rib as well. Never felt or heard belt slippage.

It's a manual, 4th gear pulls.

Being a manual is makes that number worse, the stock cams and heads would not be limiting you as they flow well into the 700+hp range. With your extra displacement I could see you have less boost but higher hp matched up with that Paxton. Since you have an 8rib already your good to go big on power, I have a 2.5" 8 rib on mine with no slip using the Fleet Green Belt.
It could be to that your not in the sweet spot of that blower setup, when I had the smaller V3, it really put out well with a 10% O.D. crank and a 2.95 pulley(630rwhp) The larger V7 ysi I have needs even more spin to get to the power band and the reason I went down from the 2.95" to the 2.5", your 2200 is suppose to be similar to the V7 JT.
IAT's with that A/A are not going to be your problem at this level of boost and power.

Collecting lots accurate data for your tuner to make adjustments will probably be the key to getting the numbers this setup should put out.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back