Finally hit the dyno!

46addict

Reaction score
BOVs on a blow through centrifugal setup sound more like street sweepers. They constantly dump air when letting off after WOT and continue to do so until you decrease RPM or get back on the throttle. It's a cool noise if you ask me.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think it sounds like a Subaru or a turbocharged car at all.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
It's a simple thing to prove. Just datalog the two. I always see around ambient with my turbonetics A2A. On the blow off valve subaru sound we're not really trying to sound like a suburu either, just make the most effective horsepower possible.

That would require sizing the systems the same. Let's say for example the A2A IC is the same size as the A2W HE. Then you have to decide what flow rate the water will be moving at. Most kits are about 5gpm, and that's way too slow. On the flip side I have run them up to 27gpm, which is significantly more ability to transport heat. And lastly unless both systems are tested with the same type of sensor in the same location (intake runner) the data can't be compared. And as far as I know none of the A2A systems have the same type of sensor as the A2W systems and they aren't in the intake runner. So really, it would have to be one hell of a test to get anything but junk data.

Something I did just look up. Water is 784x denser than air. That gives water a HUGE advantage when it comes to transferring heat. It transfers heat about 20x faster.

In a practical sense what I am seeing is that the out of the box A2A systems do a better job of keeping IAT's in check up to a certain boost level. Let's say that's 12psi. Then guys start getting bigger IC's. But eventually you run out of room and can't go bigger. I only have one piece of data on this but White Pony was having IAT issues with a big aftermarket A2A at I think it was 17-18psi (he was sampling at the intake runner). That seemed about the limit of ability to transfer heat with what you can fit in the front of the car.

Out of the box A2W systems are garbage because they're not sized correctly. But when sized correctly (lots of water flow, big heat exchangers, etc) they work incredibly well. Well past 17-18psi where the A2A can't control temps.

This is another case, as are many, where there is no "best". It will depend on circumstances, use, etc. That said the OP that got this discussion going by stating:

Paxton uses an air to air intercooler not a heat exchanger. They are more efficient than water cooled intercooler and don't heat soak so easily.

I simply said that was false. Which it is. Water transfers heat about 20x faster than air because of its density. I was addressing the sweeping "efficiency" statement only.

A statement like “In most cases at realistic boost pressures A2A systems work in Mustangs better than A2W systems do” is a statement I agree with 100%. But that is because most A2W systems are sized really bad, not because the science isn’t there.

As usual I'm being pedantic. The suggestion by the OP is correct in most cases.

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
The guys using A2A systems with elevated boost end up resorting to E85 & water/meth injection to keep IATs in check and to reduce knock sensor activity (if kept activated) from having higher IATs. This is like adding another system to supplement an under performing system which is not ideal, but when you're shooting for higher power numbers you gotta do what you gotta do.

There is also the issue of measuring temps in different locations. A2A systems don't have an IAT2 parameter while A2W systems do. So A2A setups take readings from the MAF.

Carbuff91

forum member
Reaction score
Tune must be very conservative. I'd go longtubes and maybe some cams. Also FRPP intake would be a nice upgrade. I have a novi2200 also. My last numbers on 93octane were 686rwhp with a 3.15 pulley and 10% overdrive.

I didn't think longtubes mattered when you were boosted. No need for any exhaust scavenging.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I didn't think longtubes mattered when you were boosted. No need for any exhaust scavenging.

They will help a little with a centri blower. Not a lot at that boost level though.

PD blowers don't care about headers until the boost gets really high.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Got a 10%OD balancer from Innovator West. How much PSI will this increase?

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Got a 10%OD balancer from Innovator West. How much PSI will this increase?
Hard to say for sure 2-3 psi maybe more, each engine setup differs, with your 10.5CR and this overdrive I would imagine this is going to wake up those dyno numbers. You should see that boost coming in sooner and giving you a little more time in the power band before your next shift.

An overdrive is one of the best mods IMO for the centri style blower. 10% is the perfect choice. 15% requires tensioner mod, 18-20% is out right race and means removal of the mechanical water pump and going electric, this where your YSI and larger head units will reap the impeller speeds needed for the big boost and hard launches with a centri.

Last edited:

black N boosted

Boosted
Reaction score
^^ i agree with him, I was seeing 10psi at 6200 rpm, swapped over to blow thru and 10% over drive pulley and now see 15psi at 6krpm, car definitely gets into the power band quicker!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back