Fog Light Operation Modification

ixtlan

Reaction score
Despite the claims of certain people having High Beams and Fogs or Driving lights on at the same time is not illegal.
The majority of states have laws that state that a
motor vehicle on a highway may not have more than a total of four lamps lighted on the front of the vehicle including head lamps, auxiliary lamps, spot lamps, or any other lamp if the lamp projects a beam of an intensity greater than 300 candlepower.

Driving Lights are Legal along with your high beams on too. You are required to dim your lights for oncoming traffic or when behind others.
Most have distance limits approaching other cars too.

The reason the Fogs go off with your high beams is because they are not needed as fogs.
Look up your own states laws and see what restrictions you have.

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
Ok I just did this mod today however I did the relay method as I didn't want to cut any wires and holes in my car. Everything went smooth that had to do with the mod but I managed to mess up one of my fogs but wasn't because of the mod. Anywho now when I click my clicker twice to lock my doors my horn beeps twice really fast like a door is open. What's the deal anyone else have this problem?

Nevermind. Popped the hood and realized when I was tucking wires I left the hood sensor undone.

Last edited:

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
more than a total of four lamps lighted

not more than four with the driving and fogs on. Where would one find "candlepower"? I have always been under the assumption it was lumens...and what state actually enforces these laws? Maybe it is because i live in Alabama but just about every truck you pass here as lights out the @$$

Last edited:

dagamore

Poor Driver mod
Reaction score
keep in mind some states there is a max speed if you have your fog lights on, in germany its <40Kmph(~25mphish).

ixtlan

Reaction score
not more than four with the driving and fogs on. Where would one find "candlepower"? I have always been under the assumption it was lumens...and what state actually enforces these laws? Maybe it is because i live in Alabama but just about every truck you pass here as lights out the @$$

Lumens, candlepower, candela, lux there has to be a million different ways to measure light; and I bet they are all used somewhere.
States all have slightly different laws and ways to measure them. We have the trucks here too with the bazillion lights. Don't really see it being enforced either unless the person is being a hazard.
I find most LE will enforce things selectively and go in streaks. Many have no idea what the law even says. Someone said this and it must be because so and so said it. Clueless as to details or the actual laws. Human Nature I suppose...
But hey in their defense you would need to be a freakin computer with a bazillion gig hard drive just to store all the laws, let alone be able to recall them.
Look Bama's laws up and see what they say.
Be ready when joe county mountie pulls ya over.
Most are pretty good people and when your prepared and civil about pointing out they are "miss-informed" most are pretty good about it.
Just be civil and say something like "Ya Know I looked this up and it actually says ..... and I thought you should be aware".
But some are just A-Holes and always will be.
Judges on the other hand will be informed and will know the laws. They dont need to pull it off the top of their head.

Research and Verify FIRST.
My bestest advice.

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
Your know that is funny that they actually restrict the number of lights yet the DOT mandates that 18-wheelers must be light up like a christmas tree. I am not concerned with being pulled over here because i think even with the fogs(with high mod) and highs on I would be less noticeable than most here with colored lights or 36" lifts ect...nice to know though.

ixtlan

Reaction score
Well our law here in Utah is no more than 4 lights lit that each exceed 300 cp.
You could still have 50 running lights along with the 4 big lights...
Another example of laws passed by people who no nothing about the subject.

Troy

Reaction score
i want to do this to my car.i have a 2006gt with a roush ft bumper cover with the driving lights.if i do this will my driving lights work with my brights on as well? and can i run them in derffiernt modes?

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
...Ever find out why they have a stupid rule like that?

To generate revenue.

As an update, I fuggin love the 9005 bulbs in the train lights mod, people think a Jeep is coming. I use them as my headlights and they have a real sharp cut at the top of the beam pattern. I've only been flashed once - and that was in rain so the light was probably bouncing up from the wet pavement. I just flashed them back with the stock highbeams that are pointed a bit higher...

ixtlan

Reaction score
i want to do this to my car.i have a 2006gt with a roush ft bumper cover with the driving lights.if i do this will my driving lights work with my brights on as well? and can i run them in derffiernt modes?

I have no idea what Roush did with the lights if anything. If the wiring is the same I dont know why not.
Different Modes?
I dont know what you mean by that.

white95

boost or bust
Reaction score
nice write up! I will perform this mod once I fix the fog lights. New bulbs didn't work. I did a continuity test at the switch and it checked out ok. There is, however, no power at the foglights themselves. Has to be a ground issue...

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I did this to my car! The HID highs don't do that great at night because the light is all over the place, but when combined with the HID fogs, they work a lot better. Excellent mod!

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have had some requests to update the pictures on my option for this MOD..

Here is another way you can do this Mod, I had it done for 3 years now, works great...
Just need a 4 pin 12v relay
2 wire taps
A fusable Link with 15a fuse
a wire crimp kit with spade connector that fit the relay.

Standard 12v automotive relay
wiring.jpg

High Beam tap Yellow Wire with the White Strip
HighBeam.jpg

Fog Light Tap Tan Wire with the Orange Strip
FogLight.jpg

Get Power From Here.
FuseBox.jpg

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
where all connections are located

Connections.jpg

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here is another way you can do this Mod, I had it done for 3 years now, works great...
Just need a 4 pin 12v relay
2 wire taps
A fusable Link with 15a fuse
a wire crimp kit with spade connector that fit the relay.

Standard 12v automotive relay
wiring.jpg

High Beam tap Yellow Wire with the White Strip
IMAGE_064.jpg

Fog Light Tap Tan Wire with the Orange Strip
IMAGE_063.jpg

Get Power From Here.
IMAGE_065.jpg

Back