Gear Mesh Help Please

Rankus06

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I've been lurking around here for a while and thought I would jump in with a question. I am in the middle of my first gear swap. Does this set up look alright? I have no idea what I am doing, but it looks pretty good to me. If anything maybe the pinion is a little deep? I really don't know. Thanks for any help.

2006 Mustang GT, had 3:73 installed by a shop a few years ago and been kicking myself ever since. Decided to try the 4:10 swap myself since it's not my daily driver. I am in no rush, already into this a year now.

Last edited:

Eel Mit

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good, especially for used gears. Like ^^ said, as long as backlash is good, run 'em.

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the coast side and thinking that puppy is going to whine hard on coast. That's where gear set gets expensive, because you have to adjust the side shims before you worry about pinion depth. I did mine about a year ago and spent over $200 on side shims, even though I've got a box full of choices in my toolbox. I probably had the differential in and out 50 times. Mine was LOTS closer than that and it still has a slight whine on coast.

Rankus06

Reaction score
New FRPP gears, backlash is at.09. I think I will run with it and hope for the best on the coast. Really looking forward to putting this thing back together. Much thanks for the feedback!

hunter1022

forum member
Reaction score
With that pattern and your backlash numbers looks great, go for it.

Rankus06

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm going to run with it. My only concern is I bought an install set with a FRPP "High Torque" pinion bearing. I hogged out the original bearing for the set up but it is a different thickness than the new "High Torque" bearing. I need to compensate with the shim. Hopefully me and my micrometer can maintain this set up. Thanks again guys, you've been a big help!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back