Get rid of your 3valve it'll never be fast!!!

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I was thinking of going 5.0 but I like threads like this - I am going to keep an eye out for a decent 4.6 3V core engine as I drive my current combination around. Then I'd have all the time in the world to file fit rings, get the reciprocating assembly balanced, etc...

Fox lake seems to be an option for porting the stock castings, since FRPP has long since stopped selling cylinder heads. Liver Noise otherwise? I see good reviews for fox lake and they aren't that expensive. I've found it difficult to get good head work done locally in a timely manner, be nice to just get clean, upgraded heads back bagged and ready to bolt on.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Personally, I'd buy a 3V before a 5.0L.

3V's are simple, reliable motors. Not the fastest stock or with minor bolt ons... but it's amazing what you can do with a wad of cash.

sprchrgd s197

YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH
Reaction score
The lower end is a Ford Racing 4.6 Aluminator I put in back in Feb of 2012, stock compression. Heads are Ford Racing stock with some porting that comes with, these are the cheaper version. Intake manifold is a fabricated S&H from Jeremy and a BBK TB, Pac valve springs and Anderson Ford blower grind cams. It has 3" intake piping I fabricated to a custom made intercooler by S&H. Meth injected with a wastegate set at 23psi for the max position on boost controller and a Tial BV. Fuel system is a GT500 Setup, KB dual Bap, and Jeremy's (S&H) pump and fuel line upgrade. Phasers Locked and VCT System Removed.

The Ford Racing Aluminator shortblock during that time was around $3500.00 delivered. Discontinuing this engine block was the worst thing Ford could do to us 3v guys.

Ok, cool I have a fuel system from Jeremy also. MMR block, stock heads and cams. Tial 50mm bov, stock TB, boost a pump, power pipe, 8 rib, longtubes, some suspension stuff but need more, long tubes and probably a few other things I'm missing. But I like your setup it's nice. I've pretty much made my mind up I'm selling the Paxton and going turbo.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Because I see people constantly asking if it's smarter to put a blower on their 3v or do a Yote swap.

If you add boost to a Yote and you add boost to a 3v (assuming the 3v has forged rods/pistons and you're not running e85) the 3v actually holds the advantage because it doesn't have 11:1 compression like the Yote which limits what you can make on pump gas.

You can make 700hp on pump gas with a 3v. You can't with a Yote. Unless you lower the compression ratio.

And if you want to get way oput there, the 3v block is stronger than the Yote. Even the 2015 blocks.

I agree about the 3v offering the better performance value advantage, dollar for dollar over doing a Yote swap, especially when it comes to having to lower the Yote's 11:1 compression ratio in order to run pump gas to make the same 700 HP as the 3v :waytogo:

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
So if Im running E85 and i start comparing a built coyote with around 9.5 cr to a built 3v doing the same, does this change anyones opinion?

Seems like I can build either motor from pan to throttle body and the yote will a make a signigicant amouunt of more power than a 3v. I through some differences in the equation there because when guys are building motors they can change CR and fuel types etc.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree about the 3v offering the better performance value advantage, dollar for dollar over doing a Yote swap, especially when it comes to having to lower the Yote's 11:1 compression ratio in order to run pump gas to make the same 700 HP as the 3v :waytogo:

Pretty sure the 3Vs also require some internal work in order to run 700 hp.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
Also, wouldn't it be cheaper to lower the compression vs pistons and rods for the 3v?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

both require tearing the whole motor down and 3v parts are cheaper than yote parts.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the 3Vs also require some internal work in order to run 700 hp.

No doubt, as forged internals would most definitely be required for starters..

both require tearing the whole motor down and 3v parts are cheaper than yote parts.

They may be cheaper, but for how much longer will they continue to be around for.. IIRC OEM parts are being discontinued by Ford :shrug:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IIRC OEM parts are being discontinued by Ford :shrug:

I read once that OEM's are required by law to produce service/repair parts for 7 years. Don't know if that is true or not, but it's been 7 years since the 3V 4.6 left the production line. 2011 brought the 5.0 to the Mustang and F-150's.

Flip side!!! 7 years with the 5.0 DOHC already?!?!?

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I read once that OEM's are required by law to produce service/repair parts for 7 years. Don't know if that is true or not, but it's been 7 years since the 3V 4.6 left the production line. 2011 brought the 5.0 to the Mustang and F-150's.

Flip side!!! 7 years with the 5.0 DOHC already?!?!?

That's also my understanding as well.. Reason why Coyote parts are still available, is the Coyote is currently still in production entering it's 7th year..

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think that that is actually a law. I've also heard 10 years. It's all moot.

Anyone want to discuss why nobody ever builds a stroker when they build their 4.6 short blocks? I've looked around. No point I guess, a few downsides.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I think the aftermarket will keep supporting just like the 2v and the 5.0HO before it.

As far as why more people don't do strokers....I dunno. For all but the cheapest builds stroker does not add much to the pricetag.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
There's the whole "stock crank" factor, but with me balancing is so expensive here it makes more sense to just order a complete balanced assembly, with a nice forged crank.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
So if Im running E85 and i start comparing a built coyote with around 9.5 cr to a built 3v doing the same, does this change anyones opinion?

Seems like I can build either motor from pan to throttle body and the yote will a make a signigicant amouunt of more power than a 3v. I through some differences in the equation there because when guys are building motors they can change CR and fuel types etc.

It depends on what you're using for forced induction. PD blower? Centri blower? Turbo?

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't think that that is actually a law. I've also heard 10 years. It's all moot.

Anyone want to discuss why nobody ever builds a stroker when they build their 4.6 short blocks? I've looked around. No point I guess, a few downsides.

With the stock bore size there is very little power to be made by stroking.
If you have a power adder, it will do the bulk of the heavy lifting and adding 1 psi of boost will probably add more power than those 17-25 cubic inches will.
The extra stroke just makes this small bore motor run out of breath sooner and drops your peak HP rpm down

Plus most of the aftermarket stroker cranks are inferior quality-wise to the kellogg/cobra cranks and really don't add much for power handling over the stock 3V crank.

eighty6gt,
Where do you live in Canada? I paid $367 CDN taxes in for balancing, which included the flywheel and pressure plate here in Kelowna.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Saskatoon. Everything is roughly double what it should cost here from machine work to houses to cars to medical care.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back